Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
00logan

vCash: 500
Default Weight Training - is there any point?

Hello all, complete nubbins at work here so please advise.....

so say I was to do this;

find a weight I can only do 6reps MAX ( at a struggle ) and do say 4 sets on each exercise.

Bench, Row, Curl, Squats. ( obviously weight differs beetween exercise's, also trying to be explosive when lifting on the bench rows and squats ).

Now my first question is,

Will this build muscle ? or beocuse I am trying to expload out of the lifts not really build as much as if I where to lift slower.

Also after the weight lifting, say I was to do 5 rounds on the bag and 5 on the pads, 4 sets of pullups,pushups (different types),situps would this mean I lose ALL benifit of the weight training?

Basically I am learning how to box (since last January), but as gay as this may sound, I am trying to get abit of shape to me, I am something like 5,8 and 140pounds, so I am not super thin , but I want slightly bigger chest and arms etc. and I cant see how just boxing will achieve this, So I am looking for a happy medium beetween getting abit of muscle on me and still being effective in boxing ! if there is such thing.......

Or is it a case of concentrating on one thing at a time?

(btw I am trying my best to eat well nowadays , tunas,pastas,chicken,brownbread, got me protein/calorie shake)

If anybody can give me advice on anything of what you have just read it would be much appreciated, as I say I am pretty new to this stuff and I am expecting to get shit wrong so I am all ears.

Thanks

Logan
00logan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000
Default Re: Weight Training - is there any point?

Firstly, I don't believe there's any human on this earth that goes by the name of Logan and doesn't have a muscular physique.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

One thing at a time.

And I'll never understand guys who want to 'get bigger.' Especially in boxing. Maybe football, or other sports where weight can be a huge advantage. But not in boxing. Getting bigger in boxing is ALWAYS bad. Some may disagree, but when you gain weight you give up a lot of things....punch resistance, agility, speed, height advantage. It's a weight class sport. Building muscle is not what you want to do. Besides, you're probably still growing aren't you?

Your body will adjust to the training you do. If you box, your body will optimize itself for boxing. You're trying to knock a trained human out whilst simultaneously avoiding injury. No part of that involves getting the ring girl wet with your bulging pecs.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
One thing at a time.

And I'll never understand guys who want to 'get bigger.' Especially in boxing. Maybe football, or other sports where weight can be a huge advantage. But not in boxing. Getting bigger in boxing is ALWAYS bad. Some may disagree, but when you gain weight you give up a lot of things....punch resistance, agility, speed, height advantage. It's a weight class sport. Building muscle is not what you want to do. Besides, you're probably still growing aren't you?

Your body will adjust to the training you do. If you box, your body will optimize itself for boxing. You're trying to knock a trained human out whilst simultaneously avoiding injury. No part of that involves getting the ring girl wet with your bulging pecs.
With respect, as your a good poster, I disagree! Gaining functional mass is always going to benefit you- those who think they gain an advantage by being puny at a weight too low are missing out on their potential.

Power and punch resistance can improve with weight gain due to factors such as speed and improved funtionality
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
00logan

Nice quick feedback there thanks.

I understand gaining a shed load of muscle is a massive disadvantage in boxing, and that is something I am not looking to do, I am not going for the "sted ed" look.

I have plenty of friends who are on the gear and they cant punch, have 0 stamina, no agility nothing,but can lift silly amounts of weight, that is not what I am aiming for.

but what I am looking to do is be strong at my weight, explosive, and I want to have some shape/size (nothing that would be a hindrance). I am pretty strong now but dont really "look" it if that makes sense.

Also I think I have stopped growing height wise since im 22 lol, and have been the same height forawhile.
00logan is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
00logan

ahah yeah, I feel like im letting the side down slightly Rakim
00logan is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Believe me if you train right you won't add a shed load of muscle- in fact if you train wrong you won't either- it's ****in hard to gain mass! It doesn't happen by accident
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
00logan

Ok then judging off my first post, do you think I will achieve what i am after? or am i going doing the totally wrong road?
00logan is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00logan View Post
Nice quick feedback there thanks.

I understand gaining a shed load of muscle is a massive disadvantage in boxing, and that is something I am not looking to do, I am not going for the "sted ed" look.

I have plenty of friends who are on the gear and they cant punch, have 0 stamina, no agility nothing,but can lift silly amounts of weight, that is not what I am aiming for.

but what I am looking to do is be strong at my weight, explosive, and I want to have some shape/size (nothing that would be a hindrance). I am pretty strong now but dont really "look" it if that makes sense.

Also I think I have stopped growing height wise since im 22 lol, and have been the same height forawhile.
If you're 22 then a strength training program is perfect for you. Most of your gains should go to your legs and back though, and it'll be slow gains if you do it right.

The boxing you do is going to prevent your arms and chest from getting gigantic, but your shoulders and lats can get a lot bigger which is going to make you look significantly less scrawny.

There's a few guys on here with fitness credentials so I'll leave the tweaking of your program to them, but yeah, given your age I'd say go for it. For some reason I pictured a 15yr old kid lol.

Be careful about how much weight you gain, though. At 5'8 you probably don't want to go much higher than 155 unless you're a gifted power puncher.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

well, you need to figure out where you are your best weight for performance. when I was working out at my best, I cared about maximum strength to weight ratio, speed, and endurance. I did a fair amount of lifts but if you are just into aesthetic gains, nothing rips you up like the high impact interval sprints. Shapes the muscles, burns a lot of energy, gets rid of subcutaneous fat.

I'm 5'8'' as well, about 136 now, but I'm old at 33. At my best I was 128 lbs (in avatar at that weight), and there was a shape to my muscles that came from that type of sprinting that did not preclude endurance and high explosive capabilities.

For sure those explosive exercises like sprint speed jump rope, jumping over a bench, plyometric exercises, wind sprints, etc. all add a bit of shape to your musculature without eating the muscle away that a lot of the long but slow roadwork does.
aramini is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

and since you specifically mentioned your arms and chest, you might as well go ahead and at least do some higher reps, like 8 or 10, for at least 3 sets, on the bench, or with dumbbells, or flies, just stretch enough. I don't think that extremely low rep number you are doing is going to recruit a lot of the slow twitch fibers to work and "grow", nothing wrong with hitting more where you want to see results, as long as you still maintain flexibility and train for movement. I would just stop lifting two weeks before you have a match if you ever plan on competing.
aramini is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
With respect, as your a good poster, I disagree! Gaining functional mass is always going to benefit you- those who think they gain an advantage by being puny at a weight too low are missing out on their potential.

Power and punch resistance can improve with weight gain due to factors such as speed and improved funtionality
welcome back Jeff, and decent post! too many people think smaller and weaker and "staying at a weight class" through starving themselves and running themselves (literally) into the ground is somehow better than filling out a little and being a stronger, better athlete.
hows your weight?
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
If you're 22 then a strength training program is perfect for you. Most of your gains should go to your legs and back though, and it'll be slow gains if you do it right.

The boxing you do is going to prevent your arms and chest from getting gigantic, but your shoulders and lats can get a lot bigger which is going to make you look significantly less scrawny.

There's a few guys on here with fitness credentials so I'll leave the tweaking of your program to them, but yeah, given your age I'd say go for it. For some reason I pictured a 15yr old kid lol.

Be careful about how much weight you gain, though. At 5'8 you probably don't want to go much higher than 155 unless you're a gifted power puncher.
Another decent post, but as he gets stronger (read: isn't a pathetic weakling for his weight), he will fill out and get "bigger" without adding 20lbs to his physique.

there's lots of ways to train your strength. Do the Madcow 5x5 program as a rank beginner, and see how you go. Be patient, eat plenty of protein, and don't change anything else, or think this is going to make me slower, stiffer etc.

ultimately if you squat, deadlift, row, press heavy for lower than 6-8 reps for a few sets a few times a week, you will get stronger, faster, more explosive and more confident, and of course bigger. what's not to enjoy?

don't do bodybuilding programs (i.e bodyparts, high volume like 5 exercises of 5 sets of 10-20 each), as this WILL be counterproductive to your boxing training and your end goal. That would be the equivalent of training for sprinting by running 5ks.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
RoosterC
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 394

Weight lifting is just as worthless as running, sparing and thinking are.
RoosterC is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
welcome back Jeff, and decent post! too many people think smaller and weaker and "staying at a weight class" through starving themselves and running themselves (literally) into the ground is somehow better than filling out a little and being a stronger, better athlete.
hows your weight?
Well, the thing is, punch resistance. If you are not weight drained, a muscular chest and arms is not going to help when a 175 lb guy lands an overhand right with leverage on your chin as opposed to a possibly shorter 147 lb guy without as much weight behind his punch. obviously being weight drained weakens you (I took punches better at 125 than I did at 118 )but look at Hearn's fights at Cruiserweight: just about every person he fought wobbled him before he got them out of there. At welter, only the very very very best puncher could dent him after 14 rounds of punishment. He probably hit harder at Cruiser, but his chin wasn't strong even with all that extra muscle and weight.

the key is finding your best competitive weight, where you can say, I am stronger than most at this weight, I feel energetic. But if you are too heavy for your frame you run the risk of getting hurt when you fight competitively, since those guys all for the most part cut and know how to rehydrate somewhat effectively.
aramini is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing