Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
karategan

vCash: 500
Default Critique my technique? (shadowboxing)

Any advice on footwork/movement, punching mechanics, head movement, etc.?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Sorry I couldn't get a sparring round recorded for better judgement.
karategan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Critique my technique? (shadowboxing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karategan View Post
Any advice on footwork/movement, punching mechanics, head movement, etc.?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Sorry I couldn't get a sparring round recorded for better judgement.

Get to a gym to get some real instruction to get rid of all the bad habits. Just about all aspects of what little I watched were leaving a lot to be desired.

Not trying to bust your bubble, but that was pretty lame.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
karategan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
Get to a gym to get some real instruction to get rid of all the bad habits. Just about all aspects of what little I watched were leaving a lot to be desired.

Not trying to bust your bubble, but that was pretty lame.
I do. I've been training for some months so far.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

New gym.

Last edited by KillSomething; 06-17-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: see above
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

some times you step back and to the left with your right foot first and then adjust your left foot. pivot your left foot first and then step back and to the left with your right foot.

just work foot work, like at 2:20 you take several steps to your right, while moving your left foot first.
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
New gym.

I'll second that suggestion. If you've been in a gym for a couple months and are still shadowboxing like that, you're not being instructed on good footwork, proper punching technique, balance---in other words, all the basics. Do you have someone who acts as a coach /trainer to instruct you? If so, perhaps he has too many people to devote much time to any one student.

Here's a suggestion. Do a search on U-tube for shadowboxing videos and look for ones with good technical quality----------you'll recognize them when you see them. You'll see good balance and footwork, punches being thrown with some intent, jabs thrown straight and power shots rotating off the balls of the feet along with good hip rotation to develop power.

Better yet, look for videos on heavy bag work since guys tend to really attack the bag and let the shots go with a good bit of force. I never liked to put much force in my shadowboxing routine------it's better to hit something in my opinion.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I'll second that suggestion. If you've been in a gym for a couple months and are still shadowboxing like that, you're not being instructed on good footwork, proper punching technique, balance---in other words, all the basics. Do you have someone who acts as a coach /trainer to instruct you? If so, perhaps he has too many people to devote much time to any one student.

Here's a suggestion. Do a search on U-tube for shadowboxing videos and look for ones with good technical quality----------you'll recognize them when you see them. You'll see good balance and footwork, punches being thrown with some intent, jabs thrown straight and power shots rotating off the balls of the feet along with good hip rotation to develop power.

Better yet, look for videos on heavy bag work since guys tend to really attack the bag and let the shots go with a good bit of force. I never liked to put much force in my shadowboxing routine------it's better to hit something in my opinion.
with all the videos on youtube hows he supposed to tell whats good technique? why dont you post up some examples?
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
with all the videos on youtube hows he supposed to tell whats good technique? why dont you post up some examples?
That idea wasn't lost on me, truth is, I'm not that computer savvy. I'll look for some and see if I can get them to this site.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
That idea wasn't lost on me, truth is, I'm not that computer savvy. I'll look for some and see if I can get them to this site.
if you cant embed the movies you should be able to post links,

and i believe this site automatically embeds the videos if you just post the link
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Joan_Guzman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Don't listen to Ylem OP. Hes clueless and never thrown a punch at someone his entire life let alone entered a boxing gym due to being scared.
Joan_Guzman is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
Arranmcl
Arran
ESB Senior Member

Ylem :')
Arranmcl is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
if you cant embed the movies you should be able to post links,

and i believe this site automatically embeds the videos if you just post the link

post your bag video up ylem im sure it will point him in the right direction
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

You know I always find it funny when guys "shadow box" and their "shadow" opponent teleports to new locations and allows them to lead with uppercuts, crosses and rear hooks!

You have a good physique and look like you would do well to develop a Tyson/Frazier-esque style. Keep training.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

That is what has guys FLYING when they miss a shot or unable to throw a follow up if they miss a shot in combo. A buffet for a counter puncher.

True you don't go all out when throwing hooks and such shadow Boxing, but you should go at a very brisk clip. Gets you used to throwing shots in space and pulling them if need be.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
karategan

Quote:
Yea, my coach doesn't really watch/guide me. So many members, only one coach. I'm not good but I don't think I'm nearly as bad as my shadowboxing shows. My coach says I've done well sparring with some amateurs who have had and won a couple of matches already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
You know I always find it funny when guys "shadow box" and their "shadow" opponent teleports to new locations and allows them to lead with uppercuts, crosses and rear hooks!

You have a good physique and look like you would do well to develop a Tyson/Frazier-esque style. Keep training.
Aha, I was trying to make it look realistic but I guess things just popped in my head. Leading with crosses works for me in sparring though. And to be honest, I do somewhat try to emulate Tyson's style.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing