Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
richiedooley
The CHAMP
ESB Full Member

vCash: 164
Default Diagnosed with illness and looking for tips to start training again please ESB world

Right guys where to start, i am/ was an amatuer boxer until november 2010 as i was diagnosed with Leukemia, i am 8 months into the treatment now and will be able to resume light training by sept this year but with some drawbacks such as low hemoglobin causing fatigue, alot of muscle wastage, increased fat mass due to cortisol steroids among others.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some help starting getting back into shape for fighting again, such as diet (my nutrician is ok but always open to tips), what strength-conditioning training to start etc.

I am 5'9 and weighed 154 when i last boxed and now i weigh around 162. Just looking for as much help as i can get thanks alot, i have got decent boxing skills with 21 fights noting amazing though, still a student of the game and am in love with it, but i am feeling kind of lost now with everything that has happened. if anyone can give advice would be greatly apprerciated.

Peace Richie
richiedooley is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202
Default Re: Diagnosed with illness and looking for tips to start training again please ESB wo

Just go slow. And congrats!
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Diagnosed with illness and looking for tips to start training again please ESB wo

Take it real slow, pay attention to you body and listen to your doctor.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
richiedooley
The CHAMP
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Just go slow. And congrats!
cheers man, everyone om this site that box's at any level will understand im sure, you fall in love with the sport and its hard when its taken away, i just want to get back training and maybe in months back to sparring and then back to ring hopefully
Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
richiedooley
The CHAMP
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
Take it real slow, pay attention to you body and listen to your doctor.
Cheers mate, yeah you can really feel how the body works when you could train at a certain level and then your body finds it hard to do simple tasks after treatment. Not so bad though once you can keep the positive attitude of getting back to where you want
Old 06-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Journey Man
Journeyman always.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 137

This cube guys annoying
Journey Man is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

You're an inspiration mate. Take it easy, best to go with the doctors advice first.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I don't know how much I can advise you but I will say this. I admire your dedication to this sport to want to continue on with such an illness, it is a testament to your intestinal fortitude.

You haven't gained much weight while being away from training so it sounds like your main need is to tone up some of what you've lost while in treatment. Only thing I can say is go light, don't rush into it by knowing what you could do prior to being diagnosed and try to reach that intensity. It will come in time, so listen to what your body is telling you. Last thing you want to do is wear yourself out physically by trying to do too much too soon.

Good luck with your treatments, we're pulling for you.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypercube View Post
Take a break.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #10
furor celtica
Creeping Death
ESB Jr Member

I have no practical advice, but just keep at it, people like you are an inspiration to all of us who train.
When you're going through hell, keep going...
furor celtica is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
richiedooley
The CHAMP
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
I don't know how much I can advise you but I will say this. I admire your dedication to this sport to want to continue on with such an illness, it is a testament to your intestinal fortitude.

You haven't gained much weight while being away from training so it sounds like your main need is to tone up some of what you've lost while in treatment. Only thing I can say is go light, don't rush into it by knowing what you could do prior to being diagnosed and try to reach that intensity. It will come in time, so listen to what your body is telling you. Last thing you want to do is wear yourself out physically by trying to do too much too soon.

Good luck with your treatments, we're pulling for you.
Cheers for the advice, just back out of hospital last friday (spent another boring 10 days in there) we'll found a site that kept me occupied ill share it with you's [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I have been researching loads and reading rdj's nutritional advice, guys a bit of a genius on that front. Wont be able to step back in to the gym until late sept at the earliest (cant wait) but i went down to see some of my amateur buddies fight on a local card a while ago, was so good to see live boxing again.

Unfortunately iv come up with that i might not be able to even start strength training easily, i will be able to head back to the club for (skipping, bag, pad work, circuit and interval running) and in the gym have been advised to do peripheral heart flow training (high reps, 4 sets circut style 4 exercises and interchanging uper body, lower, upper, lower) if that makes any sense to you.

Btw iv gained a good bit as in my body changed from 154 and quite lean to 140 lean from treatment 9 i lossed all muscle mass i had) then threw on 20 something pounds of fat and fluid :/ disaster, oh and prob comfort eating too im not going to lie.

Anyway going light seems real good advice and thanks for the feedback really appreciate it. Thanks a lot for the backing
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
richiedooley
The CHAMP
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furor celtica View Post
I have no practical advice, but just keep at it, people like you are an inspiration to all of us who train.
When you're going through hell, keep going...
Cheers man, that's why i try do, cant say i don't wana give up (a lot of the time seems the easier option to pull the plug on treatment but i wont) you have to keep inspired.

Every day i am inspired at the will to live that some 80+ patients show, they seem to love life and just try to get through it or/ and beat it. I heard a story, dont have any references for it but a man ran the boston marathon in the time 4:29 i think, Clarance hartly i think his name is or something like that. Anyway he beat loads of 20 something guys. He had already survived fighting in a war and beaten cancer twice and......... he was 81 years old. That man is an inspiration, and thank you for the kind words saying that i am, but id like to state i didn't post on here for praise from people even though it is very nice thing to say and i appreciate it. I am not some attention seeker, just someone looking for advice on training with regards not having full psychical strength or capabilities (yet).

And i am not an inspiration, im not a great amateur boxer, just an aspiring one who hopes to do well in the future and then maybe i can inspire people if i achieve something in the sport, a long shot but a dream for the future i guess. thank you for listening
Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
MayweathersDraw

vCash:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 06-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
MayweathersDraw

vCash:

Acids and water.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
MayweathersDraw

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiedooley View Post
Cheers for the advice, just back out of hospital last friday (spent another boring 10 days in there) we'll found a site that kept me occupied ill share it with you's [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I have been researching loads and reading rdj's nutritional advice, guys a bit of a genius on that front. Wont be able to step back in to the gym until late sept at the earliest (cant wait) but i went down to see some of my amateur buddies fight on a local card a while ago, was so good to see live boxing again.

Unfortunately iv come up with that i might not be able to even start strength training easily, i will be able to head back to the club for (skipping, bag, pad work, circuit and interval running) and in the gym have been advised to do peripheral heart flow training (high reps, 4 sets circut style 4 exercises and interchanging uper body, lower, upper, lower) if that makes any sense to you.

Btw iv gained a good bit as in my body changed from 154 and quite lean to 140 lean from treatment 9 i lossed all muscle mass i had) then threw on 20 something pounds of fat and fluid :/ disaster, oh and prob comfort eating too im not going to lie.

Anyway going light seems real good advice and thanks for the feedback really appreciate it. Thanks a lot for the backing
And you can live on chicken breast and brown basmati rice and omega 3 & 6 sources... and have your occasional macky D’s.

No genius about it.

Highest protein lowest saturated fat ratio (chicken)

Slowest burning carbs (brown basmati rice)

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing