Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-30-2007, 02:22 AM   #1
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450
Default Hughes.....stick a fork in him???

As good as his career has been he has shown he is a dinosaur and his game will not evolve....and then again it didn't matter tonight because GSP beat him badly at his game.I think the only thing left for Hughes is a match with Matt Serra, if it can still happen....So the question is how good was "the most dominant welterweight" of all time......well in the last few years he has gotten beaten to a pulp by GSP twice.....won a UD over Lytle.....won against BJ who beating him in the first 2 rounds until bJ gassed\injured.....beat an old Hoyce Gracie....contender Joe Riggs....contender.....Frank Trigg.....and beat another Jap fighter....I can't remember his name...and got lucky against GSP in their first fight.

i'm not taking anything away from Hughes because he got the job done time and time again.....but I think he was a good wrestler in great shape who made the best of every opportunity...when you see him get beat twice like he shouldn't even be in the sport I ask myself how good was he?.....I would like to see him against Koscheck and see what would happen or any other "evolved fighter"
AJAX is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2007, 02:29 AM   #2
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493
Default Re: Hughes.....stick a fork in him???

Don't be ****ing stupid, he lost to probably the only guy who could beat him, maybe Fitch or Koshcheck on their best day.

If Serra didn't hurt his back Hughes is the champ right now.

He's beat Trigg twice when Trigg was the clear #1 contender, beat Mach Sakuari, beat GSP when he was the clear #1 contedner, beat Newton when he was the champ and when he was the #1 contender, beat Sherk when he was the #1 contender, beat BJ Penn on the ground, Beat Castillo on the ground, and on and on and on.

He has the best resume as a champion defending his belt in history, and the best resume ever at 170.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 02:40 AM   #3
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

he already had lost to BJ, could have lost to Newton...Sherk is a 155pounder and so is BJ for that matter, Trigg turned out to be nothing special and had a hell of a time with him....and to say he would have an easy time with Serra is no shoe in. I would like him to keep fighting to see if anyone else can expose him...like a Koscheck or Fitch....GSP had a hard time with KOS.....he made Hughes look rather simple.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 02:45 AM   #4
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

This is rediculous, his resume speaks for itself, I don't know why as a GSP fan you would want to belittle his win tonight.

Hughes is an absolutely easy top 5, almost certain top 3, and has the far and away best resume at 170 ever.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

I'm not belittling his win tonight but Hughes hasn't given GSP any trouble at all, he doesn't even look at the same level. If Hughes can beat KOS or Fitch, then I would give him his props....but yes his resume from the past is great....and I can't take that away from him...but like he said to Royce Gracie he's not evolved....well what goes around comes around....Matty
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

They should have showed on the big screen at the end of the fight after Hughes lost....the shot of him laughing and hi fiving and having a grand ole time when serra beat GSP. That wasn't the best idea for Hughes to do...not to mention admitting that he thought he caught George out of training camp and that's the only reason he took the fight.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Well, Hughes claims he was so happy after Serra beat GSP because he really wanted to fight Serra because of the bad blood between them. I think it's likely a combination of that and Hughes thinking he'd have an easier time with Serra.
Boinko is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

You know, I always found the labeling of Gracie vs Hughes as 'New school vs old school' odd, essentially Hughes and Royce where one and the same, both stuck in 1 martial art form and completley 1 dimensional, only difference was Hughes was bigger, stronger and younger while being 1 dimensional.

And heres the video of Hughes laughing at Serra for shits and giggles.
BORKED

Last edited by C. M. Clay II; 11-30-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

I would still take Hughes over just about every other 170 pder out there. GSP is just better at everything than Hughes is. Although, Hughes will have some serious trouble with guys like Kos and Fitch, or are better wrestlers than him.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum