Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #121
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: ***The Top 50 Wins Of The Decade, 1990-1999***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
The floored thread was hilarious, without doubt.

I explained my omissions of Hoya-Pea and Hoya-Quartey:

Omissions

This thread is MY opinion on the top 50 wins of the decade, I am not trying to present any of this as FACT. Therefore, the decisions I have made regarding the construction of this list are completely subjective.

For example, I have not included any fight in the top 50 in which I genuinely believe the wrong man had his arm raised. To me, it is nonsensical that anyone would think you should include fights in a list where you don't agree with the official verdict. How can I say I think a win was a great win, if I don't even think that it was a win?

Thus, the following wins were not included for consideration on this basis (the fighter I scored the fight for is listed second):

Oscar De La Hoya vs Ike Quartey
Oscar De La Hoya vs Pernell Whitaker

I had the Oscar-Quartey fight to Ike by a point, and the Oscar-Pea fight to Pea by a point, so I felt it was impossible to include them because (as I note above) how can I say a win was a great win, when I don't even believe it was a win? Hope you see my point here. Wouldn't have any issue with anyone who scored them differently and therefore would include them in their own list.

Re Oscar-Chavez 1: good win, but not top 50 calibre IMO. Chavez was too far past his best for that.

Re Oscar-Gonzalez: also a good win (and a superb performance), but again not top 50 calibre as I see it. Was never especially impressed by Gonzalez as a fighter.
Fair enough I get that. I think hoya-pea can go either way and both deserve great credit. A true passing of the torah moment.

I had him beating ike. But it was close.

I do rate the other two higher tho. Both instrumental in his rise to the top. With hindsight I can see valid criticism. At the time they're essentially the best lightweight and lightwelter in the world.

I'd certainly include all 4 but considering 2 are controversial and 2 went on to achieve nothing of note afterwards. For me these 4 are instrumental in oscar's career but maybe I rate him higher.

Great work mate!
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #122
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Fair enough I get that. I think hoya-pea can go either way and both deserve great credit. A true passing of the torah moment.

I had him beating ike. But it was close.

I do rate the other two higher tho. Both instrumental in his rise to the top. With hindsight I can see valid criticism. At the time they're essentially the best lightweight and lightwelter in the world.

I'd certainly include all 4 but considering 2 are controversial and 2 went on to achieve nothing of note afterwards. For me these 4 are instrumental in oscar's career but maybe I rate him higher.

Great work mate!
It's all about opinions man. If I saw an alternative 50 with these 4 included, I'd be A-OK with that.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #123
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacpowerpellet View Post
thought the same and i also think that foremans ko over moorer was better win then hearns over virgil hill
I can accept that many will feel Bowe-Holyfield I was better than Bowe-Holyfield II, that's fair enough IMO.

But I very much disagree on Foreman-Moorer being better than Hearns-Hill. Hearns-Hill was a staggering feat of boxing, all things considered. Foreman-Moorer was a guy's ATG power bailing him out of a fight he was losing and losing badly.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #124
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru

Quote:
I have ***ual issues because i love deep throating men, all I know is that i have an agenda behind every single post because i am a twisted **** who ducks questions continually when debating with sir headbanger.
Quote:

I pray the mods ban him soon because he embarrasses me on a continual basis, so much so that i had to quit posting as 'popkins' for a long period because I got completely outed and humiliated infront of everyone when he destroyed me brutally in debate.

i was forced to change my username yet again to hide my embarrassment. i changed my username to 'kittikasem' but because i have no sense of humour with zero personality, my true colours shone through and i got outed again and now everyone knows that kittikasem was infact me.

since i was outed again i am gonna start posting again back under my main username of popkins, i just hope that enough time has passed by and that everyone on esb has forgotton how sir headbanger made me look such a ****.

for once i totally agree with every word you wrote popkins / kittikasem
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #125
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post

for once i totally agree with every word you wrote popkins / kittikasem
This ridiculous troll has been reduced to following me around calling me Popkins, Kittikasem, Roskolnikov, Arcane, El Cepillo, Dinamita, and about 18 other names, all because he's a troll who can't make a proper boxing thread of his own.

What a ****ing loser. Happy Trolling!!
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #126
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
It's all about opinions man. If I saw an alternative 50 with these 4 included, I'd be A-OK with that.
Exactly yeah, hoya is quite a subjective man to rate depending on how you view his victories. Great list none the less.

You have any plans to do the 70's?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #127
Gesta
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 300

Great read Popkins
Gesta is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #128
chinachin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Holyfield is the fighter of decade.
chinachin is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #129
bRoNeR**a**G
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

props
bRoNeR**a**G is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #130
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinachin View Post
Holyfield is the fighter of decade.
He lost as many big fights as he won though. Jones was the more dominant force throughout the decade, he'd be my pick. Only coz Whitaker was pretty much past-prime by 1995, and almost shot by 1999.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #131
Azmontana
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 121

Dude where you headed off, how come your going?

Great list, I was hoping you'd do a 2000's
Azmontana is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #132
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmontana View Post
Dude where you headed off, how come your going?

Great list, I was hoping you'd do a 2000's
I'm not going, this thread was made a while ago and I took a break off the forum for a while afterwards. I'm back now, as my "Top 50 Wins of 1980-1989" was only put on the Classic last week, so have been hanging around chatting to people about that.

I have done a 90s one:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Enjoy!
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #133
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Popkins, had Whitaker and De La Hoya rightfully been given the decisions against Chavez and Trinidad, were would you have those 2 wins among your list?
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #134
Azmontana
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 121

Sick guy!

We got a 70's coming next?
Azmontana is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #135
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zopilote View Post
Popkins, had Whitaker and De La Hoya rightfully been given the decisions against Chavez and Trinidad, were would you have those 2 wins among your list?
I scored the Whitaker-Chavez fight to Whitaker by 117-111, and I scored the De La Hoya-Trinidad fight to De La Hoya by 116-112.

If the decisions had went that way, I would have had no hesitations placing both of them in the top 5. Considering the quality of the performance, I'd maybe even say Whitaker-Chavez would've been #2. Not so sure about ODLH-Tito, would need to think about that, it was a strange fight. I think it'd maybe be somewhere around 5th-9th, maybe top 5 was a little too generous.
Popkins is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum