Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Ai9184
Journeyman

vCash: 1006
Default me sparring- critque

hey everyone i wanted to see if you guys had any pointers or tips on what im doing good and more importantly what im doing wrong. all advice is appreciated.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] im in the white shorts (sorry for bad lighting)

i forgot to add im sparring someone way out of my league but hes taking it easy on me. im an amatuer with 2 fights.
Ai9184 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: me sparring- critque

im in the white shorts (sorry for bad lighting)

i forgot to add im sparring someone way out of my league but hes taking it easy on me. im an amatuer with 2 fights.[/quote]

You could have said I'm the black guy or I'm the white guy, or I'm the guy with the black shirt or I'm the guy with no shirt, but instead you said you were the guy with white shorts lol
wordisbond is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2009, 05:22 AM   #3
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

First of all, i VERY much liked your attack at 0:39. He didn't expect that right hand lead and if you followed with that hook a bit earlier, it may have landed as well. The combo at 1:39 is excellent, too. You show quick combo's, but often your single punches are a bit slow (especially the first ones in the video), when i think you CAN be faster with them. SNAP that jab a bit more. Watch Larry Holmes.

Keep your guard a bit higher, especially in close and the left hand. You're not Floyd Mayweather. You're doing fairly well on the outside, but when he gets close you tend to do some things wrong and look a bit vulnerable. Keep up the good work. A lot of this comes purely from experience.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Generally, you look good. I would advise you tighten up a little, even if you are fighting out of half guard. You need to copy X and keep that chin down.

My best advice would be that I hope you know how to fight out of full guard because I am positive that there will be fighters who can be your master if you fight out of half guard. When that is the case you need to switch to full guard to protect your left side more effectively.

If Floyd Mayweather has to occassionaly fight out of full guard, then we all do!!!
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What others have said...

You are not good enough to fight out of that half guard. Pick those hands up! After you are thoroughly comfortable fighting out of a conventional guard, then maybe you could give the half guard a try.

You paw your shots. Snap them out.

You are fighting in a "your turn/my turn" mentality. Don't do that. Learn to disrupt your opponent, don't wait for them. I don't think there was a single attempt at a counter in there.
Jennifer Love Hewitt is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
pretty boy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 673

They r both wearing white shorts.
pretty boy is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

You look good. two quick points

-You continually move to your left
-You don't know how to block the jab

Don't be overwhelmed by the other guy he's not that good. You should be more competitive then that. Neither of you are getting anything out of the sparring if its that light.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

I disagree, Jeff Thomas. This is good learning experience for him, and the other guy is pretty skilled, but holding back. You don't need to get beat up every time to learn.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
I disagree, Jeff Thomas. This is good learning experience for him, and the other guy is pretty skilled, but holding back. You don't need to get beat up every time to learn.
There's holding back and then there's posing with boxing gloves on- which this was. It was a 10% spar and did very little for either. I spar with people better then me but don't get beaten up. Its borderline pointless, sparring at that intensity unless you have literally just started boxing.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

It is clear that you understand fundamentals -you move well, the shots are thrown properly, your rythym is pretty good, and while your defense is not as good as it should be, you understand its importance.

1. Your opponent, as you observed, was stronger than you and more skilled. He was taking it easy on you. Considering your choice of distance and willingness to exchange with him, had he so chosen, he could have shut you down. At punching distance -mid-range, inside, you were allowed to look good because he chose not to punch with you. Make no mistake he would be the boss at that distance. You want to work more outside behind a straight jab, feint more to get him to react, then counter, then move. You're lingering. Don't linger. You showed some good combinations at mid-range, but again, you don't want to linger there after you finish. It ain't "his turn". Throw your shots then either angle out, or jab off to your range.

4. When fighting larger or stronger men, learn how to spin-off. In most fights, there is the matador and the bull. In that session, he was the bull. You need to be more of a matador. That means don't try to out-bull him. You have to more careful in his ranges and should think about making only forays in those ranges as stated above. You want more finesse and angles as if you are holding a red cape. Watch those guys and see how they step out of range when the bull charges. The matador relies on his legs -pivoting around, actviely stepping to safe zones. When you are not the bull, accept that fast and adjust.

5. He makes mistakes. Consider what they are. You picked up on one, namely, his penchant for dropping his left as if he's James Toney. Good job, as CP pointed out already, coming over with that lead right. That stance has holes in it -feint a jab, lead with a right, then come back with a hard, leveraged left hook or hybrid hook because you already know that he thinks he's James Toney and is going to bend to his right. When he does that, jam in that hybrid and double it up, then come back with a right to the side of the ribs and step off.

6. You have the same tendency of bending to your right. You're going to get nailed. He gently showed you how a few times. Vary it.

7. Your stance sees you leaning in a bit too much. You're a sitting duck for a quick jab. If you are trying to invite a shot to counter it that's one thing, but this was not the guy to try that with.

8. You do not have demon speed. Find sparring with fast, smaller guys because that will sharpen your timing and get you to appreciate the power of feinting. Timing defeats speed. Feinting confuses it.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty boy View Post
They r both wearing white shorts.
My point exactly.
wordisbond is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The only tip a beginner like you needs is listen to your trainer, he will have a certain way he does thing.Work with him or her till you are not improving anymore .Then be a man and go and shake there hand. thank them for there help and move on to someone with some fresh ideas. Stop listening to anyone else except the person training you.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
Starched Him
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Will come back later to peep
Starched Him is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Next time put the camera on the other side so the bright outside light doesn't make the camera go dark.

Sorry that's all I got because my monitor sucks and makes everything a bit darker, so I can't even see most of the action.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
Starched Him
Belt holder
ESB Addict

if your going to fight with that style you need to work on combinations and get out of there. Your defense isnt good enough yet for you to stand around and figure what you want to do next. Combos and move. If you dont know what to do throw the right hand lead and get out of there. Throw a jab to the body from time to time. You got your right hand lead off because your so active he dosent no what your going to do. Jabs down stairs will make him lower his hand and you can get more right leads off. I dont like this style from a defensive stand point

There are guys out there that will own this style if your reflexes dont get sharper. Until you perfect it your gonna have to throw jabs to the body(WHY NOT ? YOU BEND THAT WAY ANYWAY) and leads uptop and mix it up

I LIKE HOW YOU MAKE HIM FOLLOW YOU AROUND POTSHOT CITY ON HIM ALL DAY
Starched Him is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing