Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #181
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Did Calzaghe avoid Ottke like the plague?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
I honestly can't remember the undercard of Jones-Ruiz, but you can bet I watched the fight. To tell you the truth, I don't remember a lot of the undercards over the years. I do believe I was getting my drink on during the Jones-Ruiz undercard.
Hi mate, I replied back to you, on post 141.

You may not have seen it.

I'd love to hear more about your Grandpa if you don't mind?

Did he encourage you to box, or show you any basics etc, when you were a kid?
Loudon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #182
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Hi mate, I replied back to you, on post 141.

You may not have seen it.

I'd love to hear more about your Grandpa if you don't mind?

Did he encourage you to box, or show you any basics etc, when you were a kid?

Other that yard boxing with the neighborhood kids not too much... I didn't get to spend as much time with him as I would have liked. And I had got real into wrestling around the 3rd grade, and my desire was to do that instead of boxing..

There was a time though when I wanted to be a boxer, and had I lived closer to my Grandpa, I may have pursued it. I had a good natural straight right hand, that usually put down the kids I connected on. I was pretty speedy too, which was my strengh in wrestling.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #183
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin View Post
Loudon...

Sky were showing what happened between Hopkins and Roy because it was a fight that people were talking about for years. asking if they were ever going to do the rematch. when Hopkins fought on Sky, they talk about which fights should be happening and what not. they do this with every fighter and which future opponents people want to see them in there with.

this WAS from the Hopkins/Joppy bill. Hopkins had only fought Hakkar since that double header with Jones, and they never showed the Hakker fight. that fight was on Setanter for 5.

what the hell are you talking about????? Setanter and Sky Box Office are two completely different organizations. i ordered the Jones fight through my remote, but it had nothing to do with Sky. it had American commentators like we get with Boxnation fights sometimes. so it didn't have the Sky panel like you said at all.
Completely correct. It was Setanter where I watched many boxing programmes. I think the first one I watched was Cotto vs Judah. As you say, it was American commentators etc and different to Sky. I needed my sky box to watch setanter, but as you note, once you had setanta you order through your remote and pay a completely seperate company, not sky.

------------------------
Back to Loudon. Please bullet point the post you would like me to read
bailey is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #184
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Other that yard boxing with the neighborhood kids not too much... I didn't get to spend as much time with him as I would have liked. And I had got real into wrestling around the 3rd grade, and my desire was to do that instead of boxing..

There was a time though when I wanted to be a boxer, and had I lived closer to my Grandpa, I may have pursued it. I had a good natural straight right hand, that usually put down the kids I connected on. I was pretty speedy too, which was my strengh in wrestling.
Thanks a lot for sharing that.

I really enjoyed reading it.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #185
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Completely correct. It was Setanter where I watched many boxing programmes. I think the first one I watched was Cotto vs Judah. As you say, it was American commentators etc and different to Sky. I needed my sky box to watch setanter, but as you note, once you had setanta you order through your remote and pay a completely seperate company, not sky.

------------------------
Back to Loudon. Please bullet point the post you would like me to read
We've established two things.

1. I was mistaken. I didn't watch the Ruiz fight on Sky Sports with their pundits.

2. I did in fact, watch it through Sky Box Office as a one off event.

A few of my mates actually subscribed to Setanta Sports in 2007.

From memory, I watched the following fights:

Haye vs Enzo Mac

Mayweather vs Hatton

Joe vs Kessler

Joe vs Hopkins

Joe vs Roy

Roy vs Tito

Hopkins vs Pavlik

Like you say, if you subscribed, you paid Setanta directly.

But the Ruiz fight was a one off fight, on Setanta Sports - through Sky Box Office.

With regards to my replies to you, no, I'm not doing a list of bullet points.

My replies weren't that long.

You can either bump the thread at a later date, or we'll move on.

However, the two standout points that I made, were the excerpts I posted from the Ring magazine, along with the fact that Joe had the opportunity to fight Julio Gonzalez at LHW, in 2003.

Btw, a few days ago, I read the following article from the free library. (posted below)

It was just after Joe had beaten Kabary Salem, late in 2004.

He said the same thing as what he'd said before the Mkrtchyan fight, earlier on in the same year.

"There is nobody left for me as a super-middleweight."

There was no mention of Lacy or Kessler.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Loudon; 06-19-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #186
stanster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmurphy View Post
No offendse to ottke but when it come to any argument along these lines he has absolutely no credibility
Im sure Sauerland(I think) said Ottke got paid twice as much fighting in Berlin as he would have got anywhere else. He had no reason to leave Germany abnd risk his title, so he didnt.

Ottke was pretty poor in the scheme of things, neutral venue and JC stops him
stanster is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #187
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
We've established two things.

1. I was mistaken. I didn't watch the Ruiz fight on Sky Sports with their pundits.

2. I did in fact, watch it through Sky Box Office as a one off event.

A few of my mates actually subscribed to Setanta Sports in 2007.

From memory, I watched the following fights:

Haye vs Enzo Mac

Mayweather vs Hatton

Joe vs Kessler

Joe vs Hopkins

Joe vs Roy

Roy vs Tito

Hopkins vs Pavlik

Like you say, if you subscribed, you paid Setanta directly.

But the Ruiz fight was a one off fight, on Setanta Sports - through Sky Box Office.

With regards to my replies to you, no, I'm not doing a list of bullet points.

My replies weren't that long.

You can either bump the thread at a later date, or we'll move on.

However, the two standout points that I made, were the excerpts I posted from the Ring magazine, along with the fact that Joe had the opportunity to fight Julio Gonzalez at LHW, in 2003.

Btw, a few days ago, I read the following article from the free library. (posted below)

It was just after Joe had beaten Kabary Salem, late in 2004.

He said the same thing as what he'd said before the Mkrtchyan fight, earlier on in the same year.

You have been wrong with many things. Dont worry about it. Mayweather/Hatton was Sky.
As for the bullet point, well done.
I believe Erdei was Gonzalez mandatory for WBO LHW.
As for saying he didnt have anyone to fight, we dont know the circumstance as to why it was said, it could have been said to goad. We dont know. We do know Lacy was a world champ then and a big fight available, same with Kessler, so that point that you make, doesnt mean a thing.
bailey is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #188
HerolGee
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

but joes right, there were no more weaklings left at smw for him fight. He would after nearly a decade now have to fight someone good, or run gibbering.
HerolGee is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #189
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
You have been wrong with many things. Dont worry about it. Mayweather/Hatton was Sky.
As for the bullet point, well done.
I believe Erdei was Gonzalez mandatory for WBO LHW.
As for saying he didnt have anyone to fight, we dont know the circumstance as to why it was said, it could have been said to goad. We dont know. We do know Lacy was a world champ then and a big fight available, same with Kessler, so that point that you make, doesnt mean a thing.
I haven't been wrong with many things, only a few things. I did say it was from memory.

I'm assuming that I was correct with the other Setanta fights that I mentioned?

Regarding Gonzalez, Joe had the opportunity to move up to LHW, yet stayed put, even though he knew he couldn't unify the SMW.

Those actions tell you that he was more than content to keep defending the WBO against whoever was put in front of him, despite him telling people he wanted more recognition and bigger fights.

How can my point not mean a thing?

You keep telling me that he didn't go up to LHW 2004, because he'd got his sights set on Lacy and Kessler?

Yet we can see that clearly wasn't the case.

What have you got to say regarding the excerpts that I posted from the Ring magazine?

The WBO belt wasn't respected when Joe had it.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #190
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
Thanks a lot for sharing that.

I really enjoyed reading it.
I can remember getting my bell rang once and hitting the grass, and my grandpa said in his deep southern draw... "You'd better get those hands up boy, you aint no Roy Jones"
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #191
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerolGee View Post
but joes right, there were no more weaklings left at smw for him fight. He would after nearly a decade now have to fight someone good, or run gibbering.
Nobody's going to tell me that Joe wasn't content doing what he did.

We've heard from his recent interview where he spoke about Froch, that he's proud if his WBO defences.

Which is fine. But if he's happy to boast about his number of defences, he had no right to complain that he wasn't getting the fights that he wanted/deserved.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #192
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I can remember getting my bell rang once and hitting the grass, and my grandpa said in his deep southern draw... "You'd better get those hands up boy, you aint no Roy Jones"
Ha! Brilliant!
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #193
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
I haven't been wrong with many things, only a few things. I did say it was from memory.

I'm assuming that I was correct with the other Setanta fights that I mentioned?

Regarding Gonzalez, Joe had the opportunity to move up to LHW, yet stayed put, even though he knew he couldn't unify the SMW.
Was Gonzalez suddenly some major fight? It wasnt when he was fighting Woods and why ditch a title to get another when you may not get opportunities at that weight and stand a better chance for opportunities where he was established which is what happened.
No I doubt he was psychic, but possibly very good at judging situations based on experience
Quote:
Those actions tell you that he was more than content to keep defending the WBO against whoever was put in front of him, despite him telling people he wanted more recognition and bigger fights.
Yet you contradict yourself by saying he should fight a WBO champ in a weaker division
Quote:
You keep telling me that he didn't go up to LHW 2004, because he'd got his sights set on Lacy and Kessler?
I didnt tell you that, but did note they were potential big fights which did materialise
Quote:
What have you got to say regarding the excerpts that I posted from the Ring magazine?
If this is to do with your post, I havent read it, as I asked for posts to be kept down. As said bullet point it
Quote:
The WBO belt wasn't respected when Joe had it
Im guessing this relates to your comment above. But it shows that you are swayed by a magazine and think that someones opinion there is the be all. This shows you to be gullable. The WBO was listed in other American publications, I know, and Austalian boxing magazines, but hey if they are dont call themselves the bible
bailey is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #194
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

bailey,

Quote:
Was Gonzalez suddenly some major fight? It wasnt when he was fighting Woods and why ditch a title to get another when you may not get opportunities at that weight and stand a better chance for opportunities where he was established which is what happened. No I doubt he was psychic, but possibly very good at judging situations based on experience
It wouldn't have been a major fight, but it would have given him some U.S. exposure, and it had've been a starting off point in a division that got more exposure than SMW. When Ottke wouldn't unify in 2003, what was left? Nothing. Lacy and Kessler had done even less in 2003. If he'd have impressed in the U.S. he could have potentially have been in the mix with Tarver, Johnson and Roy. Fighting Gonzalez would have been better than fighting Salem and Mkrtchyan etc.

Quote:
Yet you contradict yourself by saying he should fight a WBO champ in a weaker division
As a stepping stone.

Why was it a weaker division at the time?

At the time, Lacy and Kessler had done nothing.

The LHW division had Roy, Dariusz M, Montell Griffin, Reggie Johnson and Antonio Tarver etc in it.

Those were all recognisable names.

Again, trying to fight any of those in 2003/2004 was better than fighting the likes of Kabary Salem.

If you took Sven out of the equation, there was nothing at SMW for Joe in 2003. Which is what he said himself the following year.

Quote:
I didnt tell you that, but did note they were potential big fights which did materialise
You have repeatedly said that Joe didn't need to move up, because he had Lacy and Kessler. But again they weren't on the horizon back then. So it appears to me, that despite saying he wanted bigger fights, he was just content to fight whoever Frank lined up for him.

Quote:
If this is to do with your post, I havent read it, as I asked for posts to be kept down. As said bullet point it
I would be truly embarrassed to admit that I hadn't even read someone's post, if I'd been debating back and forth with them.

Not replying because you haven't got the time etc, is fine. But to not even bother reading it, is just ignorant. You could read it in literally 2 mins.

Quote:
Im guessing this relates to your comment above. But it shows that you are swayed by a magazine and think that someones opinion there is the be all. This shows you to be gullable. The WBO was listed in other American publications, I know, and Austalian boxing magazines, but hey if they are dont call themselves the bible
I'm not swayed by a magazine. I'm swayed by what I see with my own eyes.

You know that the WBO was a laughing stock back in the 90's, by respected boxing writers such as Thomas Hauser etc. We know that they moved a guy up the rankings after he'd died. That's absolutely inexcusable.

The Ring was respected, selling more copies of their magazines than any others.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #195
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanster View Post
Im sure Sauerland(I think) said Ottke got paid twice as much fighting in Berlin as he would have got anywhere else. He had no reason to leave Germany abnd risk his title, so he didnt.

Ottke was pretty poor in the scheme of things, neutral venue and JC stops him
Loudon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum