Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #106
suckeggs
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Khan says he'll fight the winner of Alexander-Brook or Ortiz-Brook if Brook wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima View Post
i implied that Peterson has better skill set than Brook by fighting better class of opponents
But you missed the point in that same comment of mine you quoted where i said that i agree that Peterson is more proven but asked for an explaination as to how he had a better skill set.

You then asked me two questions regarding the bit i had already agreed on... That Peterson has fought a better level of opposition.

Level of opposition doesn't always translate into who has the better skill set. Katsidis has fought the whos who of world boxing at lightweight but i wouldn't say he is a massively skilled fighter
suckeggs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #107
mishima
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Khan says he'll fight the winner of Alexander-Brook or Ortiz-Brook if Brook wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckeggs View Post
But you missed the point in that same comment of mine you quoted where i said that i agree that Peterson is more proven but asked for an explaination as to how he had a better skill set.

You then asked me two questions regarding the bit i had already agreed on... That Peterson has fought a better level of opposition.

Level of opposition doesn't always translate into who has the better skill set. Katsidis has fought the whos who of world boxing at lightweight but i wouldn't say he is a massively skilled fighter
I didn't see those post at the time because I'm at work and it takes some time to write up replies
mishima is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #108
mishima
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:

yes but peterson has shown a variety of skill set by fighting top class opponents(Ortiz, Bradley etc)
mishima is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #109
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Quote:
Brook has composure, skills, accuracy, timing, hand speed and power... that is Khans worst nightmare. Khans ideal opponent is a feather fisted boxer (mallignaggi) or a clueless, slow brawler (Maidana) or shot to shit old fighters.
A young, confident, well rounded boxer puncher is exactly what the jittery, amateurish Khan doesn't want to face.
No it's not. What is Khan's nightmare is someone who can close the gap quickly and make the fight a close quarter inside game. Someone who has strength and pressurises. Khan has awful inside fighting. Saying his ideal fighter is a feather fisted boxer, or clueless brawler or shot to shit fighter, just shows your MASSIVE bias.

I don't even like Khan, but he clearly has the tools to make any fighter have trouble if they stand at range. Khan beat Kotelnik, Malignaggi, Judah, Maidana and on my card edged the Peterson fight without the deductions.

Brook has beaten Matt Hatton. The gulf in opponents is so vast that it makes a mockery out of criticising Khans opposition.

Brook would want to box Khan. He would stand exactly where Khan likes opponents to operate and he would look to outjab and hit on the counter. He would not be wanting to push Khan to the ropes or fight inside as that is not his game and not playing to his own strengths.

So what we have is a guy with a more varied and perhaps classier jab, trying to outjab Khan. Problem being that Khan has a reach advantage and has a faster jab too. He throws the 1-2 quicker and will have an opponent in Brook who wants to occupy the outside and pick counters.

Brook is not even proven as a power puncher. He hits fairly well, but nothing like a Judah where you could say that the past his prime man had the speed and power to get an upset.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #110
suckeggs
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima View Post
yes but peterson has shown a variety of skill set by fighting top class opponents(Ortiz, Bradley etc)
Yes but i was asking how is he a more skilled fighter?! as in break down his style and explain to me how he is better. Does he have better foot work, hand speed, timing, accuracy, endurance, chin, power, defence etc...

Simply stating that he has fought higher caliber opponents doesn't answer my question.
suckeggs is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #111
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Quote:
You see Brook as one dimensional... i also see Peterson as quite one dimensional.
Peterson showed against Khan that he is NOT one dimensional. He came in to try and box Khan from the outside and use his jab. That is how he usually fights. It didn't work, and Khan was too fast and the jab and shots down the pipe too much for Peterson. So he switched up totally and went into pressure fighter mode, getting under the jab and into the chest to smother Khan and go to the body.

That is a total change of dimesion in one fight.

Brook has fought increasingly well of late, but never been tested to see if he has a plan B. We know for instance that Khan sure as **** doesn't have a plan B which is why Peterson made his night so tough.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #112
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike View Post
No it's not. What is Khan's nightmare is someone who can close the gap quickly and make the fight a close quarter inside game. Someone who has strength and pressurises. Khan has awful inside fighting. Saying his ideal fighter is a feather fisted boxer, or clueless brawler or shot to shit fighter, just shows your MASSIVE bias.

I don't even like Khan, but he clearly has the tools to make any fighter have trouble if they stand at range. Khan beat Kotelnik, Malignaggi, Judah, Maidana and on my card edged the Peterson fight without the deductions.

Brook has beaten Matt Hatton. The gulf in opponents is so vast that it makes a mockery out of criticising Khans opposition.

Brook would want to box Khan. He would stand exactly where Khan likes opponents to operate and he would look to outjab and hit on the counter. He would not be wanting to push Khan to the ropes or fight inside as that is not his game and not playing to his own strengths.

So what we have is a guy with a more varied and perhaps classier jab, trying to outjab Khan. Problem being that Khan has a reach advantage and has a faster jab too. He throws the 1-2 quicker and will have an opponent in Brook who wants to occupy the outside and pick counters.

Brook is not even proven as a power puncher. He hits fairly well, but nothing like a Judah where you could say that the past his prime man had the speed and power to get an upset.
Some sense finally brought into this thread.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #113
Go Getta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 336

All Khan is saying that Eddie and his fighter should back up their words and let Kell fight one of the big names at 147, Alexander, Ortiz, Berto.

Stop calling out Khan who is a weight division below, when your not facing the real guys at 147.

Kell needs to step up if you think your that good, simple as
Go Getta is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum