Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #46
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: The people CRAPPING on Cotto-Lee were DEFENDING Lee as a GGG opponent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama99 View Post
Lee is a good opponent.....it's not a GGG super fight but I'm interested in seeing Miguel after one of his biggest wins of his career and as a middleweight champion. They have time to build a super fight with Golovkin. His stock hasn't peaked.....so they could be letting this fight simmer for a showdown later.
cotto's stock has peaked
"one of the biggest wins of his career" has to be put into context, because that fight was more about if Martinez could still pull the trigger, rather than anything cotto could bring...but it still made cotto the man at MW

if I were cotto, I wouldn't be talking up a golovkin fight either
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #47
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 1001
Default Re: The people CRAPPING on Cotto-Lee were DEFENDING Lee as a GGG opponent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownfightfan View Post
RETARDED OP.....

Andy Lee is an OK defense if there are NOT BETTER oppnents available.

Same with Adama, same with Macklin, same with Stevens, etc etc etc.

Right now, Cotto could have ANY fighter in the division. NOBODY would turn down a fight.

He could start with #1, GGG and he wouldnt have to make a second call. But say GGG broke a hand in sparring.....Miquel could go to Quillin or Soliman, and if they didnt have a fight, OFFICIAL, date, venue, everything.....they'd drop what they were working on, and SIGN with Cotto.

For GGG it was a matter of starting with Martinez, going thru Quillin, Sturm, Barker, Geale, Kirkland, Chavez Jr, and probably a handful of others before finally saying Lee was a possibility.

Don't pretend there was a better fight ABLE to be MADE.

Quote:
Lee is a good opponent.....it's not a GGG super fight but I'm interested in seeing Miguel after one of his biggest wins of his career and as a middleweight champion. They have time to build a super fight with Golovkin. His stock hasn't peaked.....so they could be letting this fight simmer for a showdown later.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #48
Clydebank Blitz
Don't Be Scared Homie
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 454

I believe it was Andy Lee Vs Anthony Shuler that got me so into boxing.
Clydebank Blitz is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #49
JohnnyDrama99
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
cotto's stock has peaked
"one of the biggest wins of his career" has to be put into context, because that fight was more about if Martinez could still pull the trigger, rather than anything cotto could bring...but it still made cotto the man at MW

if I were cotto, I wouldn't be talking up a golovkin fight either
Martinez has definitely seen better days but let's keep things in the proper perspective......Cotto isn't in his prime either.....nor was he a natural middleweight. Considering the current condition, age and weight this was without question one of Miguel's biggest wins. Martinez never got the chance to get going simply becuase Cotto stuck first and Martinez had a hard day recovering. Cotto should fight Nelo next if he beats Lee....then see where GGG's stock is and see if he can cash in while passing the torch in the process.
JohnnyDrama99 is online now  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #50
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 1001

Martinez was farrrrr more removed from his prime form than Cotto is from his.

Honestly I dont think the Martinez that entered the ring against Cotto gets any of his signature wins.

Chavez, Pavlik and Williams all beat that Martinez, imo.

Cotto took advantage of fighting the champion when just about anyone in the top 10 of the division would have beaten him at the time.

Theres just no other way I can see it.

However, this is boxing and this is quite common..... it is what it is.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #51
JohnnyDrama99
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
Martinez was farrrrr more removed from his prime form than Cotto is from his.

Honestly I dont think the Martinez that entered the ring against Cotto gets any of his signature wins.

Chavez, Pavlik and Williams all beat that Martinez, imo.

Cotto took advantage of fighting the champion when just about anyone in the top 10 of the division would have beaten him at the time.

Theres just no other way I can see it.

However, this is boxing and this is quite common..... it is what it is.
I don't disagree that Martinez was worse off than Cotto.....but that's nothing surprising. Martinez is older......less ring mileage but father time definitely took more of a toll on Sergio...so no argument there.

We can speculate that the Martinez that lost to Cotto was completely shot but that wouldn't be fair to Miguel. He took on the Lineal MW champion who happened to be older. It wasn't that long ago that Sergio beat JCC Jr. 11 rounds to 1 but his outings against lesser opposition hasn't been as dominant.

Chavez would most likely beat that version of Martinez but throw Kelly and definitely Williams in there with that Sergio and I'd bet a grip on my man Martinez.

Cotto took on the lineal champ...you can spin it and say he took advantage of Sergio or whatever....but these men are professional fighters who know the risks of the sport. Sergio was the man and Cotto took on the man.....beat him and became the man in the process.

Cotto isn't a real MW...he just so happened to make a fight against the champ and it was a smart gamble. To say Sergio had no chance is insulting to Martinez. Every fighter has a chance and you can't count a champion like Sergio out even if he is 37 or 38.

I did call for Cotto to unseat Martinez but there were a LOT of folks who didn't give Miguel a chance. I give Miguel his dues because he's earned it. In a sport that requires so much.....It's hard for me to discredit any man who makes it to the level that guys like Miguel and Sergio reach.
JohnnyDrama99 is online now  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #52
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

I like lee but this isn't a good fight for cotto nor was it a good fight for ggg.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2014, 04:05 AM   #53
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubber View Post
Andy Weak knee pee lee is s oft joke of a poor fighter known for losing as most all Irish are known for losing. Are there no tough men in All of Ireland??
Like I told your pathetic and sorry ass already, your randy mum can't get enough Irish dick in her smelly, over-fu cked spunk-box. You should pay more attention to the old hag. She knows quality meat when she's gorging on it, scrubby.
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #54
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I don't disagree that Martinez was worse off than Cotto.....but that's nothing surprising. Martinez is older......less ring mileage but father time definitely took more of a toll on Sergio...so no argument there.

We can speculate that the Martinez that lost to Cotto was completely shot but that wouldn't be fair to Miguel. He took on the Lineal MW champion who happened to be older. It wasn't that long ago that Sergio beat JCC Jr. 11 rounds to 1 but his outings against lesser opposition hasn't been as dominant.

Chavez would most likely beat that version of Martinez but throw Kelly and definitely Williams in there with that Sergio and I'd bet a grip on my man Martinez.

Cotto took on the lineal champ...you can spin it and say he took advantage of Sergio or whatever....but these men are professional fighters who know the risks of the sport. Sergio was the man and Cotto took on the man.....beat him and became the man in the process.

Cotto isn't a real MW...he just so happened to make a fight against the champ and it was a smart gamble. To say Sergio had no chance is insulting to Martinez. Every fighter has a chance and you can't count a champion like Sergio out even if he is 37 or 38.

I did call for Cotto to unseat Martinez but there were a LOT of folks who didn't give Miguel a chance. I give Miguel his dues because he's earned it. In a sport that requires so much.....It's hard for me to discredit any man who makes it to the level that guys like Miguel and Sergio reach.

Older had little to do with it.

It was his knee. He couldn't put weight on it, and so, could neither escape, nor hit properly.

If his knees were healthy, a 45 year old Martinez would school Cotto.
cuchulain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum