boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
ElCyclon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Martinez could fight Rubio in June if Cotto isn't available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vast View Post
To suggest Rubio deserves a shot at Sergio is laughable, although it could turn out to be a rough fight. I suppose it is a comeback fight for Sergio, just like Murray was last year. Is this a trend......
You either don't know or don't care about organization rankings. Rubio is the no.1 ranked contender for at least 2 of the orgs. And has been the mandatory at least once-and passed over. What has Cotto done at that div. to deserve a shot at Sergio over Rubio.?
ElCyclon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #17
Koba
GenSec
ESB Addict

vCash: 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCyclon View Post
You either don't know or don't care about organization rankings. Rubio is the no.1 ranked contender for at least 2 of the orgs. And has been the mandatory at least once-and passed over. What has Cotto done at that div. to deserve a shot at Sergio over Rubio.?
This^. I can understand that Maravilla only has a few fights left in him and wants to maximise his earnings, but in terms of MW achievement Rubio really deserves the fight.

Hard to say which way Cotto is gonna jump, but it's looks like that's what it'll depend on. Both fights are pretty decent IMO, but it'd be a travesty if Cotto were to beat Sergio for the lineal title at a catch weight. I'd still like to see GGG vs Maravilla, and hope HBO are willing to throw around enough $s to make it happen, but I can't see Sergio (or rather Lou DB) going for that fight 'til he's good and ready to retire.
Koba is online now  Top
Old 11-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltirado View Post
Its a medium to low risk fight, because at Buenos Aires, the odds of Sergio Martinez elevate. (He has to avoid being KD or dominated to win the fight)

A Rubio win is better for GGG, especially if Martinez looked decent vs Rubio.
Didnt know it was going to be in Buenos Aires. Thanks for the info

In that case its def a lower risk affair, but still.... the fight will almost surely drop Martinez's stock.

Just a pointless move by team Martinez.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #19
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incontenible View Post
I think Martinez would have dropped the WBC belt if he felt Rubio was a high risk. Martinez' team knows they can handle Rubio comfortably. It just so happens to be that the 'tune-up' fight he wanted will be against his mandatory.

Martinez wants $$$, no point discussing the GGG fight until he can bring more money to the table, ala Cotto/Alvarez etc., or until those big money fights are no longer possible.

Golovkin is the last person I'd be looking at if I were Martinez. That fight is only going to get bigger the longer both fighters keep winning, and if winning in the mean time results in paydays v Rubio and Cotto, then so be it.
Rubio is not a payday, and hes not going to get any other paydays outside of Cotto, which at this point he will have to wait even longer for as it looks like he will be fighting Canelo, and if GBP snatches him for a few fights after that, Sergio is out of luck.

Fighting Golovkin now, or after Rubio, is a lot better than having to fight another mandatory thats going to continue to drop Martinez's stock, or worse, beat him.

The days of Martinez beating top middleweights impressively is probably over, which means every fight he struggles against his opponent, drops his stock. There are no more easy fights left for him at this stage of his form, and he might as well capitalize on the G fight now.

The G fight is bigger than people think.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koba View Post
This^. I can understand that Maravilla only has a few fights left in him and wants to maximise his earnings, but in terms of MW achievement Rubio really deserves the fight.

Hard to say which way Cotto is gonna jump, but it's looks like that's what it'll depend on. Both fights are pretty decent IMO, but it'd be a travesty if Cotto were to beat Sergio for the lineal title at a catch weight. I'd still like to see GGG vs Maravilla, and hope HBO are willing to throw around enough $s to make it happen, but I can't see Sergio (or rather Lou DB) going for that fight 'til he's good and ready to retire.
Rubio's mandatory status has nothing to do with his achievements in the ring and everything to do with the WBC screwing up the drug testing in the Chavez fight and having a judge rule against them.
purephase is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #21
Koba
GenSec
ESB Addict

vCash: 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
Rubio's mandatory status has nothing to do with his achievements in the ring and everything to do with the WBC screwing up the drug testing in the Chavez fight and having a judge rule against them.
Well yeah, but I was more getting at the fact that Rubio is actually a genuine MW and a credible one, rather than that he was the best fighter out there. Ain't begrudging Maravilla the Cotto fight, but Rubio has as good a claim as many mandos.
Koba is online now  Top
Old 11-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #22
Bald_Toad
Ring Title
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

pointless dumpster fight
Bald_Toad is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #23
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast View Post
June now? What happened to April?

If Cotto can make $10mill to fight the smaller, less mobile Alvarez, there's no way Sergio will get Cotto first. Sergio is a horrible match up for Miguel, for way less money.

Also, listening to Dibella, he says Cotto then Alvarez before Golovkin. How does Lou expect Martinez to fight Alvarez if they're still tied to HBO?
I haven't seen the June date mentioned specifically in connection to this fight, only the Cotto one.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #24
christo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

If he fights either then he's the biggest ducker in boxing and the
worst middleweight champ in history.
christo is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #25
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo View Post
If he fights either then he's the biggest ducker in boxing and the
worst middleweight champ in history.
I thought he already was the biggest ducker and worst middleweight in history because he failed to fight someone with as impressive a resume as the mighty Dmitry Pirog.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #26
eltirado
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
Didnt know it was going to be in Buenos Aires. Thanks for the info

In that case its def a lower risk affair, but still.... the fight will almost surely drop Martinez's stock.

Just a pointless move by team Martinez.
Its complex, he has to fight someone now, or he loses the WBC/Lineal Belt.

If he defends it, he can buy some more time that he needs, although his bio-clock is ticking

Martinez thinks he can go 154, wait for Canelo vs Cotto, fight the winner, or if Cotto vs Canelo doesn't go thru, beat one of them, then he fights Mayweather. All while keeping his 160lbs belt for the GGG fight & promotional leverage.

Team Martinez understand this:
He can fight GGG even if he lost to Mayweather
He can't fight Mayweather if he lost to GGG

Expect Martinez to move to 154 after this fight, GGG will be his last battle, if he didn't have a serious intention to take GGG, he would have vacated already and moved to 154 to make the Mayweather fight even more urgent
eltirado is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #27
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

Quote:

If he defends it, he can buy some more time that he needs, although his bio-clock is ticking

Martinez thinks he can go 154, wait for Canelo vs Cotto, fight the winner, or if Cotto vs Canelo doesn't go thru, beat one of them, then he fights Mayweather. All while keeping his 160lbs belt for the GGG fight & promotional leverage.

Expect Martinez to move to 154 after this fight, GGG will be his last battle, if he didn't have a serious intention to take GGG, he would have vacated already and moved to 154 to make the Mayweather fight even more urgent
Doesnt Martinez have a HBO contract? If not thats awesome, and then I can see more optimistic options. But if hes bound to HBO then Mayweather and Canelo wont be options for him anyways.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #28
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodong View Post
00:48 on....di bella is very realistic.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
yeah Dibella is a realistic guy. Sergio is old and he has to make as much money as he can before he retires but the problem is Cotto has a very good offer to fight Canelo, so its hard to think Cotto will choose Sergio instead of Canelo.

Also if Alvarez - Cotto fight gets made and Alvarez wins the fight, how the hell Sergio (HBO fighter) would fight a SHO fighter in Canelo ?

Its a tricky situation and I think Sergio will take Rubio first and if he looks decent in this fight, he'll probably fight 3G cuz he hasn't too many options and his time is limited by his age.
flashy k.o is online now  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #29
flashy k.o
Supporter of E.E fighters
ESB Addict

Quote:

- problems are these : Floyd and Canelo are SHO fighters. Both are fighting below 160 and I really doubt that an old-faded Martinez is able to go @ 154 or 152 to fight these 2 guys after he fought so much time @ MW.

- the options are very limited and the time is ticking very fast for Martinez, so Rubio as a tune-up fight then a 3G fight with good $ offered by HBO is a reasonable option IMO.
flashy k.o is online now  Top
Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #30
yeyo monster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

wtf rubio have done to deserve a title fight once again? he ****ing sucksss ass
yeyo monster is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum