Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith dies aged 75

The ko loss to carter was an aberration...I'll bet the house that it would not have happened again,..in fact, after the Tiger victory, I nbelieve that Griffith would have avenged that defeat. Monzon he could do nothing with, but that's ok, cause nobody could. Carter, however, he would have avenged.
red cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
JWSoats
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime View Post
When? Would you please elaborate?

Griffith has now entered boxing immortality. Rest in peace, smooth operator.
This incident of Griffith rescuing my sister's friend would have occurred sometime in the very early 1970s. It happened in Manhattan when he encountered a group of young rowdies and it was about to get ugly real fast (maybe it even had started getting ugly). Emile Griffith happened along at that time and chased off the gang. They became friends then and stayed in contact. In fact, the guy once took my sister on a tour of Griffith's apartment in Weehawkin, NJ. We all watched Griffith-Monzon II in 1973 and were rooting for Emile all the way and felt bad when he did not get the decision. So the thug incident must have happened well before 1973 when Griffith was at least still a top contender.

So tragic that a similar incident many years later would just about finish off this great warrior.

R.I.P. Champ!
JWSoats is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
JWSoats
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Emile Griffith also appeared on the Tonight Show several times in the late 1960s.

On one show, with Sammy Davis Jr. guest-hosting, they both put on boxing gloves. Sammy did some dancing and moving, then said "That's how we did it in Golden Boy." Emile then said "Now I'll show you how WE do it ..." Sammy then made tracks as the audience roared.

On another show, Emile sang a song that he had just released, "A Little Bit More". The following is a link to the song/record: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
JWSoats is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
prime
BOX! Writing Champion
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSoats View Post
R.I.P. Champ!
Thanks for the stories. Like many other true greats, Emile seemed a truly nice guy.

And what a treat to hear the man belt it out! A pretty good performance, at moments with a smoothness reminiscent of his skill in the ring.

R.I.P. Champ!
prime is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
Henke67
Unbroken History
ESB Addict

Location: Our revenge will be in the laughter of our children
vCash: 91

Ring of Fire is one of my favourite boxing documentaries. The scene in which he meets Paret's son was very powerful.

Although the word "great" is thrown around a little to easily these days, it applies to Griffith.
Henke67 is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4710

Vengeance of the type of Terry Norris over Simon Brown or Orlin Norris over Nate Miller is no vengeance.
Not that it is really even a forgone conclusion that he could have achieved it.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #22
HeavyweightCP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

One of the greatest fighters of all time and one of the nicest fighters of all time.
HeavyweightCP is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke67 View Post
Ring of Fire is one of my favourite boxing documentaries. The scene in which he meets Paret's son was very powerful.

Although the word "great" is thrown around a little to easily these days, it applies to Griffith.

I hear its a good doc. Never saw it. Some report that Paret said an anti gay slur at the weigh in, and the result was a purposefully beating. The referee of the fight never worked again. Decades ago, the stigma of being gay or called gay was far worse that it is today.

Griffith admitted he was gay and bi-***ual.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #24
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
The ko loss to carter was an aberration...I'll bet the house that it would not have happened again,..in fact, after the Tiger victory, I nbelieve that Griffith would have avenged that defeat. Monzon he could do nothing with, but that's ok, cause nobody could. Carter, however, he would have avenged.
Who knows how much harder he would have punched or how much more aggressive he would have been against others if that fatal bout with Paret never happened. Not sure about him avenging the Carter loss but it is very reasonable that he would have performed a whole lot better a second time. Certainly he was capable of returning the favour to Carter.

Emile on many occasions said he was scared of killing another man in the ring so he backed off the power shots considerably after the Paret fight. Emile might have done a lot more with Monzon too. His mind wasn't the same after the tragedy and he somewhat took the killer instinct out of himself. No question that he didn't bring all of his power his subsequent fights.

His private life shouldn't have been anyone's business.

RIP champ. You were a true all time great.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #25
HeavyweightCP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by round15 View Post
Who knows how much harder he would have punched or how much more aggressive he would have been against others if that fatal bout with Paret never happened. Not sure about him avenging the Carter loss but it is very reasonable that he would have performed a whole lot better a second time. Certainly he was capable of returning the favour to Carter.

Emile on many occasions said he was scared of killing another man in the ring so he backed off the power shots considerably after the Paret fight. Emile might have done a lot more with Monzon too. His mind wasn't the same after the tragedy and he somewhat took the killer instinct out of himself. No question that he didn't bring all of his power his subsequent fights.

His private life shouldn't have been anyone's business.

RIP champ. You were a true all time great.

The monzon fight was a washed up emile he was never the same after paret
HeavyweightCP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum