Old 08-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
knotty150
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 826
Default Re: Just watched Canelo v Trout - Thoughts for Mayweather bout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattonmad View Post
Close fight, scored it 115-113 for Canelo but I'd have accepted a close decision win for Trout because the rounds were very close.

Looking at the Mayweather fight for Canelo I favour Floyd big time but it's still an interesting fight.

What caused Canelo difficulties in the Trout fight was Trouts workrate and punch output. Luckily for him Floyd doesn't have a huge punch output and this is what makes the fight if not close, a little interesting. It's going to be a chess match with both men fighting at a pace they're comfortable at. Floyd has the advantage here with better defence and speed but if Canelo can land a big right hand who knows what could happen?

The catchweight may be the killer though because Canelo clearly isn't the most energetic of fighters. If Canelo is to make this fight competetive he has to do the following:

1. Weigh in at 154. Just take the financial hit, he's 23 years old and has his whole career to make millions, this is the only chance he'll get to beat a great like Mayweather so he'll need to take every advantage. It's not the 'sporting' thing to do but it's not exactly cheating seeing as how it's for the jr. welter straps and Mayweather thought it okay for him to do it v Marquez. If he's poor stamina at 154 he's going to look bad at 152.

2. Drop the reflex defence. It worked okay v Trout and would work okay against most fighters but against Mayweather this is suicide. Mayweathers precision would catch him all night so if Canelo doesn't want to get tagged all night he's going to have to keep a tight guard.

3. Up the workrate. I said above both guys will fight at a pace they're comfortable at but if Floyd is comfortable he's going to beat any fighter in history. You must swarm Floyd and take him out of that comfort zone, Canelos punch output in the Trout fight v Floyd would see him lose every round.

4. Don't go for the KO early. Even if Canelo does what I've said above he's probably still going to be down on the scorecards. What I've said above gives him a chance but his best chance really of beating Floyd is by KO. He has the power IMO but if he does what SSM did and goes for the KO early Floyd will survive. He must work very hard to try tire Floyd out which isn't an easy thing to do but if he works the body and stays on Floyd all night he could make things very interesting if he lands a big right hand late in the fight.

I have this fight 65-35 in Floyds favour but that's more competetive that anyone else I've seen Floyd fight. Canelo has a lot of ad******g to do but at his age that can be done. It's a decent fight though and one I look forward to.
Absolutely agree with this in theory BUT, does anyone know what the $/lb overweight fine is? My guess is it's COLOSSAL, and by that I mean maybe $10 million per lb? Be interesting to find out.
knotty150 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #17
ArseBandit
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1801

Quote:
Originally Posted by nes01 View Post
Nahhh none of that. I'm white (But Canelo isn't, so I dont know how that'd help my neutrality?). It was a close fight; I'd maybe edge it for Canelo. The judges were clearly and majorly biased.
Yeah he is?

Ginger ain't a skin colour bro.
ArseBandit is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
thehavenots
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I remember the post fight interview with Austin Trout and he said: Canelo was the stronger, faster and rightfull winner
thehavenots is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #19
JunitoJab
Antagonist
ESB Addict

vCash: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotty150 View Post
Absolutely agree with this in theory BUT, does anyone know what the $/lb overweight fine is? My guess is it's COLOSSAL, and by that I mean maybe $10 million per lb? Be interesting to find out.
I've seen it written at 1m per lb over the limit
JunitoJab is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
Hattonmad
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Could open scoring not be eliminated out of the sport altogether? Toally agree that it completely ruins a fight. With the likes of Showtime spending big money to broadcast these fights surely they could have a say in something that takes serious entertainment out of the fight?
Hattonmad is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #21
Ahurath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 235

Floyd is just too much for canelo. He's got everything except youth on canelo and he still hasn't slowed down much since his prime (PBF)

One of the reasons he's slower is mainly he's fighting at a higher weightclass then before.
Ahurath is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #22
Antwuan Maxx
Champion
East Side Guru

After watching this fight, it's really hard for me to imagine Canelo beating Floyd. Dude's stamina is really, really bad and I feel that if Trout would have pressed the issue, Canelo would have been in serious trouble in those later rounds. Outside of the proverbial puncher's chance, I don't give Canelo much of a chance in this fight.
Antwuan Maxx is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #23
damian38
El Chicano- #1 GGG fan
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Trout did not win that fight

I pretty much agree with the TS here on all his points
damian38 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
ArseBandit
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1801

I scored that fight for Trout, but Canelo was clearly the better boxer. His work rate was just far to low.

IMO he has a decent chance of beating Floyd, his skill level is high.
ArseBandit is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #25
the brown bomber
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattonmad View Post
I said above both guys will fight at a pace they're comfortable at but if Floyd is comfortable he's going to beat any fighter in history.
Exaggerate much?

If Canelo fought like JCC with his size advantage he might have a chance. Pressure and tremendous body work. He does not fight like that he has no chance.
the brown bomber is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum