Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2014, 04:16 AM   #302
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Live Fast, Die Young: The Life and Times of Harry Greb

@klomton

i know we have been over this bit before....the street tussle that greb and walker had in the early hours of the morning after their fight....and how it probably didnt happen......but i have been reading bits online taken from doc kearns memoirs 'days of wine and bloody noses' and he recalls it the almost same as walker did.

Last edited by doug.ie; 06-20-2014 at 06:40 AM.
doug.ie is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #303
Chuck1052
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

In regards to Jack Kearns' autobiography, it appears that any relationship between he said and the truth is purely coincidental.

- Chuck Johnston

Last edited by Chuck1052; 06-21-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Chuck1052 is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #304
klompton2
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I wouldnt put a whole lot of weight into a whole lot of what Kearns says but I would be curious as to why anyone would take his word on the Greb-Walker street fight story when not a single version has him present at it.
klompton2 is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #305
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

It is hard to put a whole lot into what ANY promoter says.

But, other than that (and i am not saying there is any truth to this rumour),but why wouldnt you put stock in what he says. He has presumably spoken with both Walker and Greb, probably about the incident. And in an environment where neither has anything really to lose by telling them the truth. In fact, i dare say that knew the truth with even more certainty than anyone on her, because i dare say that Walker probably told him he just made it up.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #306
klompton2
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I dont put stock in it because: A. Kearns wasnt there. B. Kearns was a well known liar/embellisher who believed in the adage "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" C. Was close to Walker, who had a vested interest in making it look like on some level he was at least Greb's equal at fighting if not better (i.e. his toughness in beating him or picking a fight with him on the street). D. Because this story appeared absolutely NOWHERE until nearly a decade later, and well after Greb had passed away and was unable to refute it himself. E. This story is refuted by far more people who were actually there with Greb than it is supported by people who were, by Walkers own admission, not present. and Finally F. The fact that Walker was too injured to do anything but lay abed and moan while he was being taken care of by his handlers is documented. I will say again: The story has become one of those stories associated with the sport that many fans have a hard time rejecting because it is so good, and so colorful. Fair enough but it just didnt happen. Walker himself, like a lot of athletes, could not accept that in the prime of his life and in excellent condition he was beaten and beaten that thoroughly. Not just some cutie running and pecking out a narrow disputed decision but a royal exhaustive donnybrook of an ass whipping. The type of fight Walker should not have lost. In his mind, like George Foreman creating half a dozen ridiculous excuses for losing to an over the hill guy that everyone thought he would kill, Walker had to create an exception out of thin air. Walker told so many different versions of that story (and keep in mind that story was first told ANYWHERE by him) that it at the same time strains credibility and I believe left him lost in his own self imagined narrative whereby at times he actually believed it. Yet it never happened and when you look at it objectively and logically it become obvious. Here is a smaller guy who just got his ass beat so bad that he was left in tears, exhausted, and sprouting from several cuts. A guy who was taken to the hospital and then to his hotel room to be doctored. All of this was done in an organized setting with rules and referee. Then we are supposed to believe that at some point this exhausted, wounded fighter went out, got rip roaring drunk and picked another fight (without rules or a referee) against the fresher, faster, bigger fighter who had just whipped his ass and left him a mess? AND HE WINS??? Ive got a bridge to sell anyone who believes that, and while we are at it Willie Pep won a round without throwing a punch and a Billy Papke beat Stanley Ketchel by punching him in the throat when they met ring center to shake hands prior to the fight...
klompton2 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum