Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
rapscalion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default What is the point of BKB?

I have only seen the Rosado-Vera fight, but I just don't understand the point. Why no ring ropes and the weird outer edges of the ring? It just seems like it is designed for fighters to trip over the edge of it. Why is it a circle? Why the shorter rounds and only 7 rounds? I don't see how making rounds shorter and doing less of them is supposed to have more knockouts.
rapscalion is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 5336
Default Re: What is the point of BKB?

The object is probably to make a new version of boxing wich the younger generation might like and surely to make money.

The round ring is designed to not be left like in some other combat sports and doing so would get penalised.
Wich means no rope-a-dope and that kinda shit to avoid the fight.

The gloves are much less padded and therefor designed for KO's. Floyd would probably sue if he was forced to fight with gloves like that.

We still have to see how it plays out of course, but I'm slightly positive about the idea.
Robney is online now  Top
Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
jim jim
Belt holder
ESB Addict

ye it looks good the whole set up is to make the fighter fight the full rounds and make more chances of getting knockouts
jim jim is online now  Top
Old 08-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
STB
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Fighting out of London, by way of Limerick, Ireland!

So the people who dont want to seen the intricacies of boxing and who want to see 2 guys wailing on each other.

Shorter rounds means guys dont have to conserve energy as much and get breaks, so theres less chance of then getting tired and conserving their punches.
STB is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
rapscalion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robney View Post
The object is probably to make a new version of boxing wich the younger generation might like and surely to make money.

The round ring is designed to not be left like in some other combat sports and doing so would get penalised.
Wich means no rope-a-dope and that kinda shit to avoid the fight.

The gloves are much less padded and therefor designed for KO's. Floyd would probably sue if he was forced to fight with gloves like that.

We still have to see how it plays out of course, but I'm slightly positive about the idea.
Has anyone other than ALI ever done the rope a dope? Usually staying on the ropes is a bad idea. I'm not against this, but being a huge boxing fan I'm not just in it for the knockouts. Of course there are people like that, so maybe that's who they are trying to cater to. I guess its kind of like UFC without the ground bullshit.
rapscalion is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
ufcpacman

The easy answer is, "money". It is simply a new business venture looking to capitalize on the popularity of boxing (no, it isn't dying) by attempting to bridge the gap between pure MMA fans and boxing. The concept is simple enough - they promise more action and more knockouts. The ring is round because youdo not need to cut off a circle to catch somebody. If a guy circles a circular combat zone (IE: as in MMA) then they will at some point run right back into their opponent whereas you have to cut off the straight edges of a square to make the space between you and the other guy less. Seven rounds is to avoid draws, I imagine. I am unsure on shorts round length but imagine that because rounds are LESSER the fighters gameplans will revolve more around quickly trying to score points. With three minutes, you gotta pace yourself and know you have lot of time to win the round. Two minutes? You can't waste time not throwing punches - especially in a seven round fight! I assume the lack of ropes is a mixture of live spectator viewing and just being a 'thing' to 'look different'. Also, no laying on ropes when hurt or tired leads to more KOs theoretically.
ufcpacman is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
ufcpacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapscalion View Post
Has anyone other than ALI ever done the rope a dope? Usually staying on the ropes is a bad idea. I'm not against this, but being a huge boxing fan I'm not just in it for the knockouts. Of course there are people like that, so maybe that's who they are trying to cater to. I guess its kind of like UFC without the ground bullshit.
Most any fighter defensively skilled excels off of the ropes. You use the ropes to present one target, say five inches away from the opponent, and then lean against them to end up eight inches away. It is a technicians trap to use the ropes against an offensive fighter. You also can throw different punches that you couldn't center ring as you can rely on the ropes for balance. So basically having your back on the ropes is a counterpuncher specialty. You use special rope techniques to avoid punches and then fire off punches possibly with strange awkward angles to them and/or with much more force due to letting the ropes hold you up even if you throw your upper body weight over your lower body weight in an awkward way with your punch.
ufcpacman is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #8
wayne189
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ill have to watch it before i pass judgement, im assuming a loss or win on bkb does not go on a fighters boxing record
wayne189 is online now  Top
Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
mrdoctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

It's a good idea that will definetly evolve..
mrdoctor is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
STB
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Fighting out of London, by way of Limerick, Ireland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne189 View Post
Ill have to watch it before i pass judgement, im assuming a loss or win on bkb does not go on a fighters boxing record
No, I dont believe so.

Hasnt gone on boxrec anyway
STB is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

It's boxing for kids.
ant-man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum