Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #16
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: question about left hooks?

I almost always throw it thumb pointing up, it's just the way I've done it. I'm going to start trying it thumb facing in more after reading this, I like how it can be landed more precise on the jaw but there is more risk of injuring your thumb if it connects early, before you've fully turned it? However I do throw mostly right hooks like this, well more like long overhands.
Mike_S is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
bricky

i always found palm facing towards me was best for long range hooks, thats what worked best for me,
bricky is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #18
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

I had an Armenian trainer as a kid, who trained me to throw the hook palm down. I changed it myself because I found that my hook was harder with the palm facing toward my face. Perhaps it's different body mechanics but I find the wrist a little more vulnerable to breakage when thrown palm down -it's more of a points hook or a set-up hook with the palm down. I have a skinny wrist ...that feels as though it something to do with my adaptaption.

Alas, I train fighters to throw it palm down. I'll tweak it later, once they get more advanced and if they are more comfortable and invested in technique.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #19
joekirkbycobra
King Of The Ring
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy View Post
I was always taught to throw it so the elbow and wrist are level and my thumb is pointing up.
i do the same
joekirkbycobra is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 04:20 AM   #20
Uchi Deshi`

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
I do both actually, depending on the distance.
Me too. I asked my trainer which it was supposed to be. He said it didn't matter. It was personal preference.
Uchi Deshi` is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #21
Storamin

A lot of trainers teach it either way.

Thumb up to the body, towards you to the head.

This way creates better contact, because the body is tall and slim, whereas the head is more squared. And if you have the thumb up on the head, a lot of times you will just hear a slap, and won't get the point in AMs.
Storamin is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 02:10 AM   #22
Uchi Deshi`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storamin View Post
A lot of trainers teach it either way.

Thumb up to the body, towards you to the head.

This way creates better contact, because the body is tall and slim, whereas the head is more squared. And if you have the thumb up on the head, a lot of times you will just hear a slap, and won't get the point in AMs.
Good points.
Uchi Deshi` is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #23
stittyb
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Amateurs punch with the thumb facing them, pros punch with the glove facing up
stittyb is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #24
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Not all pros does that.
znaak is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #25
ShadowWorks
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I would say both methods are ok, just do what is most natural for you, the only risk with having the thumb up without gloves is you catch the tip of the chin with the thumb knuckle and you can hurt it.
ShadowWorks is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 02:22 AM   #26
Trevor Ross

If it's a wide looping hook then thumbs in, anywhere else thumbs up.
Trevor Ross is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
Bill Humphrey

I teach the left hook at my gym and it's probably one of the hardest punches to teach. This is how I was taught the left hook:

No1. This is the only punch where you will drop your back heel and transfer the weight onto your rear leg.

No2. By doing No 1 you can then get a good twist of the hips and shoulders through the centre axis and also get a turn on the lead foot (if your foot sticks to the floor with trainers wear boxing boots)

No3. Your upper arm should be held 90 degrees to your torso and your lower arm adjusted to a short, medium or long range target.

Some boxers like to keep the palm facing the floor and others have the palm facing their body, but that is down to preference. However if you use the palm facing the floor method, there is no doubt that you are not throwing a slap and are hitting the target with the knuckle part of the glove. Palm facing floor is probably a better method if throwing a longer range hook.

The most important aspect for throwing a good left hook is that transfer of weight onto the back foot and a good body and shoulder rotation. This weight shift will pack the power in the punch and enable you to hit much faster and harder.

If you keep any weight on the front foot you won't get a good shoulder and body rotation and you will deliver more of a weaker less powerful arm punch.

This is a good clip of how I teach left hook:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Hooking to the body I would always have my palms facing my body never palm facing down.
There are variations of the left hook and I'm not going to say they are wrong but this is the most effective method I've tried and packs the most power.

Regards Bill Humphrey
Bill Humphrey is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #28
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Joe frazier's hooks:

It looks like most of Frazier's hooks are halfway between palm down and palm in... But maybe that's because he's always hooking upwards at a taller target.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #29
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Sugar Ray Robinson... the perfect left hook!

boxbible is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #30
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO410 View Post
ok this is my first time posting in anything. But I have been reading these forums for years. Anyways I have been boxing off and on for about 8 years. I never did any real big fights (I did fight at UCSB's fight night in 2000 in front of 3000 people). Mostly i have just bounced from almost every gym in LA I worked out at hollywood boxing club, Northridge athleitc club(with john Bray), WildCARD (for a month), Shadowboxing, BOXING WORKS, MTA.

Alright sorry about the long intro here's my question how do you guys throw a left hook ? I was taught originally and about half of trainers agree that it works better with the thumb facing upwards when contact is made. Other trainers (like the one I have now ) says the thumb should face your body when contact is made. what to you guys think?

my trainer is trying to get me to change but I think I am too old for that and I may not be wrong.

thanks

When throwing any punch there is a natural rotation to the fist. In the real world of boxing, there is no possible way to determine the position of the thumb at the point of contact. If that were possible then you would have to change the period of rotation to suit every punch, because the trajectory changes with the distance to the target, which in boxing has a bad habit of moving. Obviously impossible.
ralphc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing