boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 04-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
The Sweeney

vCash: 500
Default Hello from a new, but late starter - advice and tips welcome

Hi everyone.

Despite being an avid boxing fan for as long as I can remember, I finally plucked up the courage to don a pair of gloves in an effort to learn the noble art and get fit at the same time.

I've been getting some technique training from a semi-retired coach using pads for a while now and have the very basics sort of in place.

Having decided I really like it rather than just watching and that it's not just a nine day wonder, I decided to replace my ****py 8 'Title' gloves with something better and after a lot of research decided on a pair of Rival RS11's which I will review when they arrive. I'm particularly looking forwards to the wrist support they are supposed to provide.

As a very late starter to the game, well into my 30's I'm under no illusions of grandeur, but hope to at least get to a stage where I can spar at a respectable level.

My fitness is the biggest hurdle at the moment as due to my very sedentary office job, I'm woefully unfilt, but am tackling this week by week and starting to see small improvements - i.e I don't want to collapse or vomit after 15 minutes on the pads anymore like my first ever session

I'm 6'4" and approx 190 lbs with not much fat but not much muscle either.

I eat healthily but apparently nowhere near enough protein so have bought a good powder to supplement my diet. I don't drink or smoke so that's two less hurdles to jump.

I'd welcome any tips and advice from anyone who has made this journey from absolute beginner to being able to spar.

I'm in the north west of the UK.

Cheers.
The Sweeney is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Hello from a new, but late starter - advice and tips welcome

Good luck. The transition from beginner to intermediate is no different for anyone in their 30s than any other age group.

Just accept that sparring as a beginner is ten times harder than you imagined. In particular, you'll wonder why you can't land a solid shot. And gassing after 2 rounds is gonna be very discouraging. You will either want to quit, with the knowledge that you tried, and realized it wasn't for you. Or be motivated to get better.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Just focus on the very basics to begin with - Jab, foot work, defense.

When you do eventually get to the point were you'll be sparring, the likelyhood of it his you'll be blowing out your ****, taking shots and falling short with your punches... this will happen time and time again for a good while but the most important thing is to stick at it.
Furey is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
The Sweeney

Thanks for the encouragement.

At this stage, I just want to get much MUCH fitter and as you say, get the basics right.

Even just getting the punching technique semi correct took a while and was a lot more difficult than I anticipated, but satisfying when I could 'feel' the difference, although my hooks are still a bit 'random' thumb up or palm down...?

It's the difficulty and physical / mental challenge that appeals to me - finding something difficult, then working out how to do it and or improve.

I'll certainly update this thread as I progress.

One thing I do need to get are a decent pair of shoes/boots. I started y wearing some Nike basketball boots which were ok, but I need something more appropriate for the job. Being a size 12.5 doesn't help the amount of choice.

I was looking at the Adidas Box Hog boot and also some of the Lonsdale boots.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Old 04-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 505

You could do fine for yourself just running 3 miles every other day and doing your bagwork. Plenty of people your size are fighting, not just sparring, and are so unfit it's painful to watch.

Just be active for 3 months and hop in the ring, you won't be in shape to spar but you never really are until you've done it a few times and got the pacing down.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
The Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
You could do fine for yourself just running 3 miles every other day and doing your bagwork. Plenty of people your size are fighting, not just sparring, and are so unfit it's painful to watch.

Just be active for 3 months and hop in the ring, you won't be in shape to spar but you never really are until you've done it a few times and got the pacing down.
I did my first run this morning and it was terrible. There's a beach near where I live with an exact mile marked out which years ago I used to run up and down reducing my time every time I ran it. 15 years later and I managed just the 1 mile and had to walk back and was blowing like a beached whale with burning lungs, jelly legs and felt like I weighed 300 lbs. It was a real eye opener as to how unfit you can become.

Thing is, this is the first real exercise I've done in a few years so no wonder my fitness is in the gutter having a lazy ass office job, but I can monitor the improvement as it comes.

So - any boots recommendations?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It's hard to recommend good footwear. Gloves, headgear....sure!

But feet are so different. There's so much weight on your feet that if they aren't a good fit, you might be in pain. i.e. the brand with the most positive reviews might cause you unbearable pain. The best way really is to try them on, and see what's most comfortable. This is even harder if you don't live near a store that sells boxing shoes, and you are forced to order online. If that's the case, read up on reviews and see what works for people with similar foot structure (i.e. high arch/low arch, narrow feet/wide feet etc...).

If anything, maybe describe your feet a little first, then we can try to help narrow it down a bit.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
The Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
It's hard to recommend good footwear. Gloves, headgear....sure!

But feet are so different. There's so much weight on your feet that if they aren't a good fit, you might be in pain. i.e. the brand with the most positive reviews might cause you unbearable pain. The best way really is to try them on, and see what's most comfortable. This is even harder if you don't live near a store that sells boxing shoes, and you are forced to order online. If that's the case, read up on reviews and see what works for people with similar foot structure (i.e. high arch/low arch, narrow feet/wide feet etc...).

If anything, maybe describe your feet a little first, then we can try to help narrow it down a bit.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm a size 12.5 in NIKE trainers (I believe they're on the small side?) and normal size 12 in a NEXT business shoe. I have a reasonable arch, average width, maybe a little wide, but not much.

My coach says I'm very flat footed at the moment, but I think he's talking about technique and movement.

I find Nike trainers the most comfortable, not that I wear them much.

I've done a load of research and from what I can see, the main contenders are the Adidas Box Hog 2 or the Tygun 2. I'm tempted by the Nike Machomai, but some report them to be a bit narrow.

Does anyone have any experience of these in terms how how Adidas sizing compares to normal shoe sizes. Ordering on-line is pretty much the only option I think. I can always send them back if they don't fit.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
The Sweeney

Just ordered some Adidas Adistar boots - ordered a 12 and a 12.5 so I can at least send one pair back.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
The Sweeney

Quote:
I took your advice and after purchasing some decent running shoes, mapped out a 5k road course and had a go.

Keep in mind that for the last 10 years I've been a pretty sedentary couch potato until I decided to take up boxing a short while ago.

On the basis that I nearly killed myself on the beach a few days ago over just 1 mile and that my groin was still sore, I started at a pace that was about as slow as you can manage whilst maintaining a jog as I was determined to pace myself and not stop to walk.

Firstly, the new trainers are splendid, perfectly comfortable and a revelation compared to anything I've ever worn before.

The good news is that even though I sped up at times, I paced myself and did manage to complete the full 5k without walking - something I wasn't expecting to be able to manage and completed the course in 32 mins 40 seconds.

My cardio which I was expecting to be the weakest link was actually ok - yes I was breathing heavily at times on some of the inclines, but overall I felt from an energy and lung perspective, I could've done more and didn't get the burning sensation in my chest or gasping for air like my previous effort.

Despite doing plenty of groin stretch exercises before I set off, the groin pain soon returned but was manageable by keeping my stride fairly short.

The only issue was from about 3.5k where I started to feel it in my ankles and knees, particularly my left knee. The last 500 meters were quite painful and I was conscious that I was almost running with a limp on the home stretch. The cool down 10 minute walk back to my house was sore and stiff, but I felt very satisfied.

So - am I correct in thinking (hoping) that the pain I felt in my ankles and knees is basically my body being asked to work under a load that it's not had to do for over 15 year when last trained?

I plan to rest for a few days until I don't feel stiff and have another go and monitor if, when and how bad the pain is should it return - clinging to the hope that it will get better as my body adjusts?

To go from totally sedentary and a complete coach potato a few weeks ago to being able to run 5k without stopping, whilst that may sound pathetic to most 'fit' people, is a big achievement for me.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 505

Congrats!

I have no idea about the pain though, I'm only 26. I would talk to a professional, running can actually be bad in some cases. Elliptical machines are zero impact though, so that's one option.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
The Sweeney

Quote:
Congrats!

I have no idea about the pain though, I'm only 26. I would talk to a professional, running can actually be bad in some cases. Elliptical machines are zero impact though, so that's one option.
You'd hope that at 'only' 38 and with very few miles on the clock I'd have some 'capacity' running left...

I think and hope it's just everything getting used to having to work for a living!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:34 AM   #13
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I would try running on grass where possible, softer on the joints.
rampant is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing