Who wins and how?
robo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
LouisA
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: David haye v henry cooper at cruiserweight

Hard to say, Haye wouldnt be comfortable with the high pace that the agressive Cooper would set. On the other hand, Henry could be knocked out by powerfull punchers, like johansson and he cut so easily. I'm not sure at all really, but i dont think it would go the distance.

Last edited by LouisA; 08-07-2013 at 08:43 AM.
LouisA is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 693

Poor Cooper. Haye by KO.

Cooper would do some rough housing in the clinch, but Haye's superior handspeed and power would catch him eventually, and when he does, Cooper is going out for the count. Similar to Patterson fight.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Poor Cooper. Haye by KO.

Cooper would do some rough housing in the clinch, but Haye's superior handspeed and power would catch him eventually, and when he does, Cooper is going out for the count. Similar to Patterson fight.
Good assessment,Mongoose.But I think Patterson was a better "cruiser" than David.Take away Ali for Henry and Wladimir for David and I think you've got more depth in Coopers opposition.I can't think of a cruiserweight opponent of Hayes who would beat Henry.
As to the fight,you could well be right.But I don't think David was much the quicker,and definitely not more powerful.I could see one of the clinches you mention resulting in a break followed by a Cooper left hook.Favourite move of his.That just could have the opposite outcome.
TED 822 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Also thought Louis put some good points.Agree with him somebody's getting stopped or knocked out.
TED 822 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TED 822 View Post
Good assessment,Mongoose.But I think Patterson was a better "cruiser" than David.Take away Ali for Henry and Wladimir for David and I think you've got more depth in Coopers opposition.I can't think of a cruiserweight opponent of Hayes who would beat Henry.
As to the fight,you could well be right.But I don't think David was much the quicker,and definitely not more powerful.I could see one of the clinches you mention resulting in a break followed by a Cooper left hook.Favourite move of his.That just could have the opposite outcome.
I know Patterson is the much better overall fighter than Haye, just used that example to illustrate my point about Cooper getting overmatched by punchers with superior hand speed. And unforunately I have to disagree with you, Haye is no Patterson, but he still has way faster hands than Cooper.

And I agree Cooper faced tougher opposition and has a better resume, the Folley win in particular was huge. I think Haye is the better fighter but the guy would rather line his pockets than actively fight contenders. I would rank Cooper over him in terms of achievement.

Its a possibility, I would be rooting for Cooper if this went down. Would love to see one of those sneaky lefts catch Haye and put him out. Cooper has a chance, but he just didn't seem too do too well agianst guys who could beat him to the punch, especially if they had above average power.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Really interesting,Mongoose,its a brilliant fantasy fight.You make some great points.Ive nothing against Haye at all,especially after seeing him in the jungle!Nice guy,no doubt.But Henry was something else.Saw loads of his fights on TV but never in the flesh until a few years ago stumbled on his book signing by accident.November time.He was there,smart as a lick of paint,poppy in his lapel,having a word with everybody he signed for.Absolute legend.Reckon Id have been rooting for him too.
TED 822 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
LouisA
Journeyman

Haye is a bit faster, and maybe more powerfull. But Im not sure about how well he deals with pressure, he looked great against Chisora, but he is slow and nothing like Cooper. Cooper was fast, skilled and aggressive with a great jab and left hook.

If forced to pick i would say Haye too, mainly because of his size and the fact that Cooper could be stopped, either by big punchers or by his tendency to cut.
LouisA is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
RememberingC.S.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 0

LMAO. For real? Any actual super middleweight could beat the skinny unskilled Cooper.
RememberingC.S. is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3191

Haye wins easier than he did against Chisora, which was easy.
Joe Bygraves, Uber Bacielieri, Zora Folley, Flotd Patterson and Ingemar Johansson did 2, only Cautious Play could not do it wizaut de benefits of Angelo Mirena's patented cheating.

Last edited by frankenfrank; 08-07-2013 at 06:20 PM.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisA View Post
Haye is a bit faster, and maybe more powerfull. But Im not sure about how well he deals with pressure, he looked great against Chisora, but he is slow and nothing like Cooper. Cooper was fast, skilled and aggressive with a great jab and left hook.

If forced to pick i would say Haye too, mainly because of his size and the fact that Cooper could be stopped, either by big punchers or by his tendency to cut.
Been a while, but Mormeck pressured Haye didn't he? Him and Cooper were about the same size, and both used the left hook. He had some success before the stoppage, dropping Haye. I'll have to revisit that one.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
LouisA
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Been a while, but Mormeck pressured Haye didn't he? Him and Cooper were about the same size, and both used the left hook. He had some success before the stoppage, dropping Haye. I'll have to revisit that one.
You're right, Haye had a good first round and later stopped him, but he didnt look to good in between, being knocked down in the fourth. And Mormeck was quite at old time, 35 i think.

Cooper is somewhat of riddle though, he looked great at times and has a better resume than Haye. But he was stopped around 7 or 8 times during his prime years. Sure, fighters fought more often then and a loss here and there wasnt to big a deal, but thats to many times being knocked out for a quality fighter. Im not sure what to make of him.
LouisA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum