Old 11-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
pedrin1787
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 204
Default Re: the mystery punching power

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBottle View Post
Bradley is a good example to use in this example. If your ask Bradley to hit a heavy bag that can measure punching power, he will use all the technique he has learn over the years, use his strongest punch and is permitted to repeat it if he feels he could do better, I think the end result is his rating will be as high as anyone at his weight.

The analogy as to why Brady doesn't show the same punching power in the ring is may be similar to the reason why one powerful hitter in baseball always end up hitting more home runs than another equally powerful hitter. I really think it comes down to technique and offensive boxing skills more than strength.

Very interesting subject.
Most good boxers start learning at a young age, if power came from technique we'd have a ton of Mathysses and Golovkins.
pedrin1787 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #17
Scrap21
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Some guys are just born to hit hard. Just like some are born faster/quicker than others. It's a natural gift.
Scrap21 is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #18
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3000

Part of it has to do with bad intentions. When you look at guys like Paulie and Bradley, you can see deep down they are warriors, but still nice guys.

When you look at guys like GGG and Kovalev, you can see the killer in them. They have the intention of ending someone when they hit them.

Aside from that, technique, legs, core strength all play a huge part. Core strength transfers power from the legs to the upper body.
Slyk is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #19
BlueBottle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggernautBoxer View Post
So are you trying to insinuate that Paulie Malignaggi could hit a heavy bag just as hard as someone like Keith Thurman, or Lucas Matthysse? So just on the account of different approaches some fighters take into their bouts, their power will be different? You don't think there are certain intrinsic anomalies, unique to an athlete that make able to generate force more so then the others when they fire off a shot?

Please elaborate.
Well no not Paulie. I think Bradley has the physical make up to hit the heavy bag as hard as Thurman or Mattysse, but the level of executing his peak power in the ring is lower than the other two fighters perhaps because of factors such as hitting a moving target and commitment to the punch affect his punching power more than others. You don't think his peak power on the punching bag can be on par with the other two?
BlueBottle is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #20
JuggernautBoxer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBottle View Post
You don't think his peak power on the punching bag can be on par with the other two?
Not even close.

Bradley is a very fast fighter do not get me wrong, but he is not explosive enough have the same impact as a Thurman, or Matthysse. He's just not an explosive enough fighter. Either that, or Bradley doesn't have intuitive technique which some fighters are predisposed to having upon birth. Some people synchronize their movements perfectly, thus giving them the ability to hit harder then their peers. This cognitive function, like I mentioned in my sentence prior to this one, is most likely completely contingent upon ones genetic makeup. I don't really think you can teach a fighter how to displace multiple areas of their body with such great fluidity that it equates to tremendous punching power, unless it was intrinsic to begin with.

Just my opinion.

I read a study on this once while randomly browsing the internet, and it about Karatekas with certain cognitive patterns being able to strike with more force because their body worked more in a unitary fashion than vice a versa. This obviously developed with years of strenuous repetition (as the study concluded), but my take on it is that some people are much more inclined to execute the maneuvers effectively than others, based upon their genetic makeup.
JuggernautBoxer is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #21
Colt Seevers
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It's the transfer of lightening from the heel to the fist in the most efficient manner
Colt Seevers is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #22
Cletis VanDamme
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 928

Frame/bone structure play a role in it.
Cletis VanDamme is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum