Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
heizenberg
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Alexis Arguello vs Shane Mosley

Who wins in a fight at 135 LBS between these two excellent fighters?
heizenberg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Alexis Arguello vs Shane Mosley

My first thought is that Mosley is too fast; second thought is that this is over 15... Then I think that Mosley was affected big time by the bodyshots of Forrest, and Arguello was a very accurate puncher and one who targeted the body.

Mosley also may have been a bit green at the weight, but I'm not sure about that. He had the chin and the speed to keep up with Alexis, so based on all that, I hesitate to pick a winner.

Gun to my head and I pick Arguello by decision because of Arguello's heavy and accurate punching and control of pace.
DaveK is online now  Top
Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
JLP 6
Fighter/Puncher
ESB Senior Member

This is a nice match up.

I have seen any of Mosley at 135. I have seen Arguello 135. If Mosley had problem with Vernon Forrest and De La Hoya who fought tall then I think he would have to same problems with Alexis who fought tall but could also fight on the inside. Shane would have the speed advantage but from what I see his as, he is not a pure boxer like he would need to be to get the most out of that advantage.

Alexis has had problems with short fighters that can get on the inside and also float on the outside. At 135 Mancini gave Alexis a hard fight and he boxed from the outside a lot. At 126 Olivares was beating Arguello up inside and outside until Arguello found the proper placement of his punches. At 140 Pryor put him down and out from the outside and in. Those guys took heavy leather even in the realitive successes again Alexis. If Mosley, who is all offense is going to beat Alexis, he will have to deal with taking heavy punishment too.

Arguello is the not greatest defensive fighter. Mosley will find areas to manuever and get his shots in like he did with Margarito. As I think of it I feel like it is a close fight on the cards. Because of the kind of fighters they are, it probably ends in a KO. I think that Alexis has the slightly better chin and definately hits harder with both hands. Mosley left hooks is no joke either, but he paws with the jab and his right is not his go to punch. Hooking with Arguello is bad business.

I take Arguello late in a great, great, fight.
JLP 6 is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
Baclava
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP 6 View Post
This is a nice match up.

I have seen any of Mosley at 135. I have seen Arguello 135. If Mosley had problem with Vernon Forrest and De La Hoya who fought tall then I think he would have to same problems with Alexis who fought tall but could also fight on the inside. Shane would have the speed advantage but from what I see his as, he is not a pure boxer like he would need to be to get the most out of that advantage.

Alexis has had problems with short fighters that can get on the inside and also float on the outside. At 135 Mancini gave Alexis a hard fight and he boxed from the outside a lot. At 126 Olivares was beating Arguello up inside and outside until Arguello found the proper placement of his punches. At 140 Pryor put him down and out from the outside and in. Those guys took heavy leather even in the realitive successes again Alexis. If Mosley, who is all offense is going to beat Alexis, he will have to deal with taking heavy punishment too.

Arguello is the not greatest defensive fighter. Mosley will find areas to manuever and get his shots in like he did with Margarito. As I think of it I feel like it is a close fight on the cards. Because of the kind of fighters they are, it probably ends in a KO. I think that Alexis has the slightly better chin and definately hits harder with both hands. Mosley left hooks is no joke either, but he paws with the jab and his right is not his go to punch. Hooking with Arguello is bad business.

I take Arguello late in a great, great, fight.
Mosley at lightweight was a killer puncher, - only 2 people were able to last the distance with Mosley at lightweight.
I do agree Mancini had a few really good rounds against Arguello, in a 12 round fight I can see Mosley vs Arguello being even.
Great points you have there, I disagree though that Oscar and Forrest giving Mosley troubles translates to the Arguello fantasy matchup at 135 since Mosley fought them at Welterweight.
Baclava is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

Mosely breaks him in half. To fast. To strong.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
JLP 6
Fighter/Puncher
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baclava View Post
Mosley at lightweight was a killer puncher, - only 2 people were able to last the distance with Mosley at lightweight.
I do agree Mancini had a few really good rounds against Arguello, in a 12 round fight I can see Mosley vs Arguello being even.
Great points you have there, I disagree though that Oscar and Forrest giving Mosley troubles translates to the Arguello fantasy matchup at 135 since Mosley fought them at Welterweight.
Thanks. I cannot argue your Forrest/Oscar point because I have not seen Mosley at 135. Was he better able to handle taller fighters at the weight? You put in bold a sentence from my earlier post but you did not comment on it. Did you disagree?
JLP 6 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Baclava
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP 6 View Post
Thanks. I cannot argue your Forrest/Oscar point because I have not seen Mosley at 135. Was he better able to handle taller fighters at the weight? You put in bold a sentence from my earlier post but you did not comment on it. Did you disagree?
I just meant that at lightweight in my opinion Mosley was a harder puncher than Arguello.
Baclava is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
88Chris05
Journeyman

Very interesting fight. Personally, I'd be picking Mosley by decision, although I don't completely rule out a late, late stoppage in his favour.

Thing is, Arguello was really at his best at Super-Feather, at least in terms of performance quality. In general, he looked more impressive defending his WBC belt at 130 than he did at 135. He also dropped a decision, while smack bang in the middle of his peak years, to Fernandez in an experiment fight at Lightweight, too.

You could maybe argue that him looking slightly less indomitable at Lightweight than he had at Super-Feather was purely down to the fact that his reign at 130 coincided with his physical peak years, I guess, and that he maybe just overlooked Fernandez in that earlier fight because it was a non-title bout. I can see the appeal and reasoning behind that, for sure. But personally I just can't get those things out of my head when I think about this one.

Mosley was like greased lightning at Lightweight and very, very difficult to keep on the outside, even for an outstanding technical boxer like Arguello, I'd imagine. They were both fantastic body punchers, but on the inside Mosley was able to get the better of the likes of De la Hoya in those grandstand exchanges because he was able to get off shots by a 2:1 ratio thanks to his superior speed.

Oscar himself was far, far from being slow, but the speed advantage there was appreciable. In a fight between Alexis and Shane, however, it'd be eye-watering.

Arguello would have to rely on being able to keep Mosley on the outside all night, trying to throw his big right hand over the top of Mosley's jab, the way Forrest managed to do. But I just don't think he could manage it, at least not with enough regularity to win. Arguello's heavy feet meant that he could be made uncomfortable and confused by fighters who could avoid his straight shots as they weaved their way in. I'm mindful of how Pryor, himself really just a blown-up Lightweight, was able to do that to Alexis early on, albeit Arguello was maybe a shade past his best by 1982.

Mosley was a Lightweight for a long time, of course, but in the days of 36 hours before weigh ins, and we've seen that he was still a fine Welter, as well as a decent Light-Middle as well in his latter years. I think his overall combination of speed, power, size advantages and rock-solid chin presents just too big a challenge for Arguello.

Mosley sweeps the early rounds and holds on to his lead in the face of a valiant fightback by Arguello, who has more success once he's put a few cracks in Mosley's code. Shane by something like three rounds or so.
88Chris05 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
JLP 6
Fighter/Puncher
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baclava View Post
I just meant that at lightweight in my opinion Mosley was a harder puncher than Arguello.
I wonder about that. I have to see Mosley at this weight. I did some research and only a handfull of his fights did he weight at or below 135. His record there is 14-0-12KO's. I guess the notable name on that resume is Molina. Now, because Alexis did not fight at much at 135 his record is 6-0-5KO's officially at the weight. To make it a somewhat fair comparison, I added Alexis fight where he weighed 130-135. His record then becomes 21-1-19KO's, give or take win or KO. Notable scalpes: Mancini and Boza Edwards. Both championship level fighters.

I am not sure who hits harder at the weight but my money would be on Mosely to feel the effects more of Alexis power than the other way around. Mosley keeps his hands down to low, stands straight up, and fires at will when he is in trouble.
JLP 6 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Great fight ! I want to lean towards Arguello, his pin point punches,debilitating body shots,sharp jab and rings savvy make him a logical choice. But, for all his great talents, people with footwork could ne an issue... Look at the problems he had with Vilomar Fernandez. If this is 12 rds, I like Mosely by decision. If it goes 15, I like Arguello in the 14th. I think Alexis would need every minute to work thah body and break Mosely down. Great thread for a great fight ...
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

My first instinct is to give Arguello the nod as well, given his hard, pinpoint punching. Mosley however, is a fine puncher too, with better all-around handspeed.

I'll say Shane by points...if he lasts.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
Mod-Mania
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Arguello late KO or Mosley PTS
Mod-Mania is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum