Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #196
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057
Default Re: Hearns vs Mayweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIK1000 View Post
Did Tommy ever have to deal with a fighter who was as well equipped at the Shoulder Roll as Mayweather? I think this adds complications to the effectiveness of Tommy's offence, certainly his body attack will be limited compared to how it usually is.

His right hand is what would give Mayweather hell, but I can see Floyd avoiding the jab.
Oh ****
sugarsean is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #197
Little Tyson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Ma Lopez View Post
EDIT: Nvm forgot this is the British area where every old fighter wins because they were older.
Everyone in the old days beats anyone in the modern day don't you know?

I agree Hearns beats Mayweather but some people saying inside a few rounds - What the ****.
Little Tyson is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #198
biglemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Not you! I was referring to your post. It seemed to menyou thought everyone was just going for the obvious choice rather than analysing it. I agree it requires no analysis...every so often it comes up and needs a serious answer to illustrate how it's most probably a mismatch.

Walk in the park K.O is not ludicrous. Suggesting Mayweather would course punch Tommy is, he would have little chance of imposing that IMO unless Hearns is fighting like a spastic.
I think Mayweather may outjab Hearns in rounds 1 and 2, sticking to the body, in and out ( he'd be very cagey) 3,4,5, Hearns begins to take over with his jab and countering with his right pushin Mayweather back, 6,7 Mayweather in absolute retreat trying to shoulder roll but being overwhelmed maybe standing in at times trying to punch to the body but Hearns beating him to it and hurting Mayweather with his shots which is not reciprocated, rds 8,9,10 Mayweather ready to be stopped.
biglemon is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #199
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Tyson View Post
Everyone in the old days beats anyone in the modern day don't you know?

I agree Hearns beats Mayweather but some people saying inside a few rounds - What the ****.
Hearns KO2 Duran
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #200
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Fact is Floyd is being overrated by many here. He's being given a chance to do anything just so some can appear they're not biased.

Not a great welterweight, fought no one near Hearns', class, poor stylistic matchup, Hearns much bigger, Hearns greater, Hearns better jab, everything.

Floyd is nowhere near Tommy's level.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #201
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglemon View Post
I think Mayweather may outjab Hearns in rounds 1 and 2, sticking to the body, in and out ( he'd be very cagey) 3,4,5, Hearns begins to take over with his jab and countering with his right pushin Mayweather back, 6,7 Mayweather in absolute retreat trying to shoulder roll but being overwhelmed maybe standing in at times trying to punch to the body but Hearns beating him to it and hurting Mayweather with his shots which is not reciprocated, rds 8,9,10 Mayweather ready to be stopped.
Floyd always feels his way into fights. Outjab Hearns? How?

Floyd isn't good enough to do any of this.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #202
biglemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Floyd always feels his way into fights. Outjab Hearns? How?

Floyd isn't good enough to do any of this.
Floyd has the footspeed handspeed and reflexes to beat Hearns to the punch in the first two round while Tommy warms up, I've seen some your posts and I do think you underate Maywethers abilitys Flea, but still we both agree Mayweather looses this fight
biglemon is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #203
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Okay, I disagree as he has also shown a propensity to tale a few rounds to warm up, whilst Hearns is the complete opposite.

Still, I'll agree to disagree, and no I don't underrated Floyd, watch George Benton and get back to me, Floyd is nothing special. Very good? Of course! Great? Most probably.

But the level he is put on, as one of 'the greats' and as some kind of infallible technical genius and defensive savant is sickening to hear/read/watch.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #204
biglemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Okay, I disagree as he has also shown a propensity to tale a few rounds to warm up, whilst Hearns is the complete opposite.

Still, I'll agree to disagree, and no I don't underrated Floyd, watch George Benton and get back to me, Floyd is nothing special. Very good? Of course! Great? Most probably.

But the level he is put on, as one of 'the greats' and as some kind of infallible technical genius and defensive savant is sickening to hear/read/watch.
No, you are right, just yesterday I had to explain to a friend of mine that Floyd infact isnt the goat, and it he genuinely believed he was , Floyd isnt a welterweight in real terms and so of course hes overated at the weight, but its was hes done over span of time that makes him great rather than consistent work against the best in one division as you know!
biglemon is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #205
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Yeah, but still not at that level IMO.

As for the rest of your post Happens a lot, I try to walk away nowadays
Old 05-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #206
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
Danny Flexen's opinion on a Hearns-Mayweather match-up:

"...That old truism, styles make fights, is especially relevant here. Hearns was a physical freak at welterweight, measuring anywhere between 6ft 1in (officially) and 6ft 3ins (more likely, according to his trainer Emmanuel Steward), but 5ft 8ins Floyd had comprehensively defeated taller men like Tony Pep (6ft 1in), Genaro Hernandez (5ft 11in) and, in what may have been his best performance, 6ft 1in Diego Corrales. None of these men match up to Hearns but the common thread in Mayweather's showings against lofty foes was that his speed of hand and foot, accuracy and timing rendered his opponents' advantages in height and reach largely irrelevant.

...Hearns, like the "Golden Boy", will press the fight for the first half and build a lead with fine jabs and those right hands packed with dynamite but Mayweather's slippery nature and hair-trigger anticipation can keep him out of serious danger - he would take this challenge seriously and thus be far more aware than against Shane Mosley - and allow him to land telling counters. Hearns was an underrated technician but lacked mobility. He would fade late on, as he did against Leonard and having expended a huge amount of energy trying to pin the elusive Mayweather down, Floyd would then step up his output.

Hearns was excellent at what he did but needed space to work and could be a tad predictable. Floyd's variety is unparalleled and putting Hearns intermittently on the back foot would reduce the taller man's leverage. Mayweather is two inches shorter than Leonard, but, significantly, has longer arms. He could come on strong down the stretch to win a close decision."

Boxing News, 24th February 2011. Page 33.
This guy doesn't have a clue. Hearns faded in a 15 round fight against a much bigger, stronger, more powerful and braver opponent. Floyd is a fitness freak but in 12 rounds, no way does Hearns fade. Hearns also didn't fade against 15 rounds of defence in Benitez.

The Pep, Corrales and Hernandez comparison was atrocious. None of them knew how to use their height and reach like Hearns and couple it with speed. I've stood next to Hearn and I have no doubt he is taller than 6'1.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #207
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Yeah, but still not at that level IMO.

As for the rest of your post Happens a lot, I try to walk away nowadays
And I thought you would be happy to see so many oldies v current prediction threads

I'm thinking about doing a Chavez Jr v Hagler one myself!
Scotty321 is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #208
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Jr is too big for Hagler and Monzon, we know neither of 'em was eager to fight the leading light Heavys of the day and Chavez is more like an old school heavyweight

I don't like 'em that much because I have to go over old ground so often. And because I can't allow questions to go unanswered I go over the same shit and everyone thinks I'm a biased 'hater' and in my 70s
Old 05-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #209
Scotty321
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Jr is too big for Hagler and Monzon, we know neither of 'em was eager to fight the leading light Heavys of the day and Chavez is more like an old school heavyweight

I don't like 'em that much because I have to go over old ground so often. And because I can't allow questions to go unanswered I go over the same shit and everyone thinks I'm a biased 'hater' and in my 70s
I personally think Haglers super long arms means he stays competitive for several rounds

And more like in your 90's mate
Scotty321 is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #210
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I can't see Hearns losing to Floyd. He came in at 145 for Ray which would have had an impact on his stamina. Benitez was more elusive than Floyd and Tommy out scored him convincingly enough. I also don't see Hearns taking him out early, he could do, but it's far more likely to be mid to late as Floyd is cautious and smart. But the match up is not of 2 welterweights so its no disgrace to say Floyd loses here. It's like running Hearns down as he would lose to Spinks at 175, then adding Qawi , Tiger, Foster etc etc. Floyd is a great fighter, just not an ATG welter
riggers is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum