Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
shs101

vCash: 500
Default countering jab strategy

As the title says, for the more "wiser" folks here what are you strategy / tactics you can use to really make someone hesitant to throw their jab.
For ex I know of a lot of studies on Mayweather vs Guerrero, Floyd kept active touching Guerrero lead arm and really make it difficult for him to throw his jab at his own will.

Now what about same stance vs same stance? I tried it in sparring and it seems to cross me up.

I'm not looking for slips,parry/catches...more of a strategical thread when you KNOW you're about to spar someone with a really good jab.

If no one has any sound advice do you remember any particular fights where someones jab was countered at will?

Thanks in advance
shs101 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
Meazy-E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: countering jab strategy

Slip right and counter with a right, either go right hook to the body followed by an immediate right hook to the face, or slip right and come from underneath with a right hook to the jaw, or slip just a little right and go over top with a straight. Also you can apply pressure with your jab., don't commit to much to parrying or you'll set you self up for biting on faints. Just keep your back hand in front of your chin as opposed to your cheek.
Meazy-E is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2014, 03:35 AM   #3
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs101 View Post
As the title says, for the more "wiser" folks here what are you strategy / tactics you can use to really make someone hesitant to throw their jab.
For ex I know of a lot of studies on Mayweather vs Guerrero, Floyd kept active touching Guerrero lead arm and really make it difficult for him to throw his jab at his own will.

Now what about same stance vs same stance? I tried it in sparring and it seems to cross me up.

I'm not looking for slips,parry/catches...more of a strategical thread when you KNOW you're about to spar someone with a really good jab.

If no one has any sound advice do you remember any particular fights where someones jab was countered at will?

Thanks in advance
Holmes-Spoon
Ali-Norton
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Try drawing his jab out and then countering it. When you draw his jab out and you know he's throwing it, it's easier to counter.

You can feint your own jab to draw his out and then throw a follow up jab or whatever counter you want afterward.

Mayweather actually taunted Mosley in their fight and told Mosley that his jab isn't better than his and tricked Mosley into throwing his jab. When Mosley threw it, Floyd came over it with his pull counter
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

I find that when you hit someone really hard when they jab they tend to be more hesitant about it.

Just throw the right over the top of it is the classic way.

You can also work on moving toward your right. Hopkins against Cloud comes to mind. Just take a little step off to the right side when they're about to jab and it totally disrupts them. Also opens up your right hand over the top, which is money, I'm telling you.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 AM   #6
mi7agent1
Spit 'N' Sawdust

as soon as you pary come back with the jab like a bullet
mi7agent1 is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If you are fighting with a guy with a good jab, you want him to throw it. His patterns as a fighter are based off his jab so, if he is throwing it, he is predictable. You'll want him throw what is next- the right hand- so he sets himself, and that gives you something to slip and work off of. This is especially true if he is the type of guy that jabs and steps away or around.
You'd like to get him stepping towards you with his jab, then you can make him pay. This when when it pays to be good at parrying punches; you shouldn't fall for feints if you parry properly as you let the punch come to you and NEVER reach out. When your opponent is stepping in with the jab, and you push it over your left shoulder (assuming 2 orthodox fighters), you have options. You can bring your left hand up- a 'rising' jab- as you push off your back foot, a very punishing blow. You can hook your left to his solar plexus or chin. All timing moves and all very damaging when timed right.
Using your right hand to his body will really shorten his reach. Whether you slip inside the jab and step in with a right to the heart, or slip outside and dig the right uppercut under the last rib on his left side.
greynotsoold is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing