Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
Tom800
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 0
Default Difference in world titles

Several years ago, I've been told there are 5 different world titles. The Klitschko brothers hold all the most important belts, however, Vitali holds the most valuable belt there is (WBC). Is this true? How would you rank these different world titles?

WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF & IBO.

If Wlad loses against Povetkin, will he be stripped of all his belts, or still remain WBO, IBF & IBO champion of the world?
Tom800 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
damian38
El Chicano- #1 GGG fan
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Difference in world titles

if all the belts are on the line and Wlad loses, I'm not 100% sold on it, but I think Povetkin takes them all, I will do some research just to be sure
damian38 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
EL CABALLO
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian38 View Post
if all the belts are on the line and Wlad loses, I'm not 100% sold on it, but I think Povetkin takes them all, I will do some research just to be sure
Ur statement says it. If all the belts are ON THE LINE it Is because, well....... they are on the line, meaning they are at risk, he'd lose them all if he loses the match.. .
EL CABALLO is online now  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
FeldMunster
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom800 View Post
Several years ago, I've been told there are 5 different world titles. The Klitschko brothers hold all the most important belts, however, Vitali holds the most valuable belt there is (WBC). Is this true? How would you rank these different world titles?

If Wlad loses against Povetkin, will he be stripped of all his belts, or still remain WBO, IBF & IBO champion of the world?
There is little if any difference between the major titles. Anyone who believes the WBC belt is "better" than the others is leaning heavily on nostalgia. I would rank them as follows:

IBF - They at least try to hold tournaments to decide the #1 contender, even if they haven't been rather successful.
WBO - Average
IBO - Not as prestigious as the others (due to its shorter lifetime), but the computerized rankings and awarding of their belts to generally the top fighter in each division lifts them up. This is the case of the fighter making the belt.
WBC - The no unification ruling downgrades them severely in my eyes.
WBA - Corrupt. For years, they were in Don King's pocket.
FeldMunster is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

WBC stands for We be crooks, WBO.. we don't even count that.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Tom800
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeldMunster View Post
There is little if any difference between the major titles. Anyone who believes the WBC belt is "better" than the others is leaning heavily on nostalgia. I would rank them as follows:

IBF - They at least try to hold tournaments to decide the #1 contender, even if they haven't been rather successful.
WBO - Average
IBO - Not as prestigious as the others (due to its shorter lifetime), but the computerized rankings and awarding of their belts to generally the top fighter in each division lifts them up. This is the case of the fighter making the belt.
WBC - The no unification ruling downgrades them severely in my eyes.
WBA - Corrupt. For years, they were in Don King's pocket.
Ok, thanks for your reply. Things are pretty clear now
Tom800 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Ultimate Boxing
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:

The problem is that the rankings for these orgs are garbage, they are corrupt and other orgs belt holders (i.e. some of the best boxers) are never made into mandatories

The solution is to create one new belt with these conditions. Use a good ranking system and allow other champs to become mandatories. The idea would be for making #2 fight #1 for the madatory fight.

For example, in the heavyweight division, Vitali #2 would be made the madatory for Wlad who is #1. If Vitali wanted to fight Wlad and Wlad refused, Wlad would be strippped. Since Vitali doesn't want to fight Wlad, the fight doesn't happen and #3 becomes the mandatory.
Ultimate Boxing is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
dannyboy147
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

All the belts are shit. They strip and crown champions to suit their agenda. Nowadays the most prestigious is probably the Ring magazine title as that is usually held by the man in each division and the top 2 of the division will fight for it etc.

WBC is the belt that was seen as the one to have back in the day and to most fighters they think its the most valuable. WBO seems to have an affiliation with the UK and WBA is just awful, by far the worst of a bad bunch.
dannyboy147 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
The Klitschko brothers hold all the most important belts
more importantly in this sport should be the recognition they get for being the best HWs in the world

like ward and Martinez, they are undoubtedly the legitimate champions of their weight class. wlad should really stand alone there.

belts are more leverage more than something to be coveted because they cheapen the sport
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Ade_Lad
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

They need to get rid of all these belts. Should have one belt in each division.There is that many World Champions its a disgrace. The World Champion should be the best in the division and it would avoid all this ducking etc. Also all this Super champion status is rubbish. I dont really class Froch as unifying the division as I still class Ward as the champ and I wont class Quigg as a champ if he wins as Rigo will be the real champ in my eyes.
Ade_Lad is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_Lad View Post
They need to get rid of all these belts. Should have one belt in each division.There is that many World Champions its a disgrace. The World Champion should be the best in the division and it would avoid all this ducking etc. Also all this Super champion status is rubbish.

the problem is that the federations are only interested in their pockets and own self-importance
they don't have boxing's interests at heart, but also, many 'champions' who would have no chance of calling themselves that if there was one belt per division embrace multiple federations, because it lines their pockets and allows them to fight sub-standard opponents far away from US exposure while parading their 'world title belt'

have a listen when ricky burns talks up a fight - its like hes trying to convince everyone that hes legit

unfortunately, a LOT of casual fans just don't know the difference, and this is where the extra $$$ comes from if you have a trinket
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum