Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default 'monk' foreman

george's boy

don't hear much about him and its a few years since he turned pro...and he was mid-20's then i think.

anyone got any recent info on him ?
doug.ie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0
Default Re: 'monk' foreman

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The kid has some power and a very solid beard, but his ability to maintain distance or throw fluid combination are not exactly top notch.

As a huge Big George fan, of course I wanted to see Monk do well. And he has started pretty well, but I think his old man talked him outta staying a boxer. Big George repeatedly warned him that if he wasnt 100% into boxing, that he'd be hurt out there.

Monk has had those low level club fights and he excelled, but he also had trouble in a few of them.

I would like to see if his raw power could get him to the next level but whoever promoted his fights wasnt of the same mind.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Gibbsy
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

He's opening a gym in the Boston area...

He's dating my bosses daughter. Very decent guy by all accounts.
Gibbsy is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Who cares?
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

he is worse than wilder. nice guy, terrible boxer
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
he is worse than wilder. nice guy, terrible boxer
He seems to have less fluidity to his shots than Wilder. Isnt as explosive, but in fairness to Monk, he hasnt exactly had the type of training and sparring as Wilder has had.

NTM....Monk's power hasnt kept him from being touched. He's taken some hellacious flush shots right on the chin and walked clean thru them.

The Nichols KD was likely a fluke due to Wilder being off balance, but Sconiers caught Wilder and dazed his @ss good. Monk wouldnt blink if Sconiers tagged him blind repeatedly.

H2H, I'd pick Wilder just due to experience and power, but if Monk was to devote himself to the sport and get the kindof sparring Wilder's been getting, you never know. Monk mighta been the guy to put Wilder down and out.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownfightfan View Post
He seems to have less fluidity to his shots than Wilder. Isnt as explosive, but in fairness to Monk, he hasnt exactly had the type of training and sparring as Wilder has had.

NTM....Monk's power hasnt kept him from being touched. He's taken some hellacious flush shots right on the chin and walked clean thru them.

The Nichols KD was likely a fluke due to Wilder being off balance, but Sconiers caught Wilder and dazed his @ss good. Monk wouldnt blink if Sconiers tagged him blind repeatedly.

H2H, I'd pick Wilder just due to experience and power, but if Monk was to devote himself to the sport and get the kindof sparring Wilder's been getting, you never know. Monk mighta been the guy to put Wilder down and out.
true dat...i would never discount a puncher if he even grazed a shot off wilders chin. Monk probably grew up too privileged to be hungry like a fighter should be. seems to me the guy was just kinda bored at some point and decided to start training. its hard for a rich kid to be motivated to get up and run every day, do your gym work...then get punched in the face
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbsy View Post
He's opening a gym in the Boston area...

He's dating my bosses daughter. Very decent guy by all accounts.
Opening around Thanksgiving, huh? I'll have to check that place out.

Will it be Monk himself coaching?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Gibbsy
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Opening around Thanksgiving, huh? I'll have to check that place out.

Will it be Monk himself coaching?
Dont know mate, I live in England. And I don't know him personally. He's there a lot though. If you check out the facebook page for the club there's all sorts of people getting snapped with him as they sign up.
Gibbsy is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Monk is a great example of the influence of economic privilege on boxing talent.

He's clearly the same genes as his father, but he's the only one of several brothers to take up boxing, and he isn't very serious about it. Rich men don't usually enter a profession that involves professional boxing's level of punishment.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer View Post
Monk is a great example of the influence of economic privilege on boxing talent.

He's clearly the same genes as his father, but he's the only one of several brothers to take up boxing, and he isn't very serious about it. Rich men don't usually enter a profession that involves professional boxing's level of punishment.
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. struggled for years with self-motivation, and back during the Latin Fury days actually walked away from the sport at least once and had to be talked into sticking it out by the mooch brigade and his all time great, blindly proud, delusional namesake papa.

Anyone who thinks his recent weight 'troubles' are the first signs of a lack of dedication or discipline on his part obviously missed the early rise. The book on Junior has always begun and ended with the word lazy, and never betwixt will you find one instance of the word passion.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
Danebrogen
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

What are you two on about? He's a monk, he has withdrawn from the materialistic world to seek deeper spiritual understanding according to Webster's definition of a monk. He probably realised that punching people in the face doesn't coincide with that.
Danebrogen is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum