Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
andrewa1
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Holyfield vs Ruiz (on robberies)

The trilogy of actual fights were boring, but the more exciting contest is deciding who was the greatest robbery artist in HW history. Here's the robbery scorecard (and I exempt their own fights from the tally, enough corruption in the other fights to worry about):

Holyfield: 1. Rahman. Undeserved technical decision in a fight he was clearly losing to Hasim Rahman, headbutted his way to victory ( just watched it and it was competitive, but Rahman was the aggressor, usually landing the more powerful shots and probably more of them)

2. Bowe II. I've watched this a few times, and I've either had it a draw or Bowe winning. Bowe landed more, and more impactful punches, was the aggressor (and per Valuev below, you shouldn't be awarded the decision over the champ in such a superclose fight).

3.Valuev: Holyfield deservedly lost a fairly close fight, but somehow convinced his manic fans that he was actually the robbed party, so it gets honorable mention here. It reminded me of the Ali/Young fight, Young/Holyfield landed somewhat more punches, but they didn't bother Ali/Valuev at all, seemed like a fly buzzing around a rhino, with Ali/Valuev landing harder punches and were the aggressors (not to mention you shouldn't win a belt over the champ looking that piss poor)

4. Lewis 1. The biggest single robbery in HW boxing in the last 50 years. Lewis doubled the landed punches on Lewis and the corrupt judges still somehow had it close enough to wind up a draw.

Ruiz: His aren't as notable as Holyfield's, but just as numerous. I had Rahman, Golota, and McCline all beating him, and somehow corrupt judges either gave him a close decision or an absurdly lopsided one in McCline's case. Plus, as a worthy footnote, Johnson was beating him but he got a semi questionable dq from the ref.

All told, Holyfield wins the battle of the robbery artists, ultimately due to the monumental nature of Lewis Holyfield I. Also, Ruiz's style is supernegative, much like Malik Scott's. That can distort perception and make fights appear more in his favor than they really are. Holyfield just got bogus scores.
andrewa1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 01:31 AM   #2
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holyfield vs Ruiz (on robberies)

Holyfield lost to The Tank at The Greenbrier, he quit in his corner, but it was blamed on a very small cut, so it was no dec.............
Farmboxer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum