Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
PrinceFranklin
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default I'm finally picking up boxing and need help.

I was wondering what gear and everything that I should get be most comfortable and best prepared I already plan on getting cleto reyes gloves because I love the way they look!
PrinceFranklin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500
Default Re: I'm finally picking up boxing and need help.

Reyes gloves are all fun, but I would worry about protecting my hands before anything. Don't waste Reyes gloves on hitting a punching bag... After training for just a year, if you don't protect and properly wrap your hands, you will feel it for years to come, take it from me.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Try the training section bro. But I will say reyes aren't for everyone and I personally don't like them for training, Imo grants and winning are best, pricey, but worth it. If you know a gym or anyone that has grants, winning, reyes, rival, everlast mx, etc try them out do that. You'll see how padding and build quality is very different from one another. Good to have a pair for heavybag training, which will take most abuse, and pro fight pair, 8oz-12oz, according/depending how much you weigh. But for now just getya some training gloves to get you started. Title gel and ringside imfs good training gloves too. Only good gloves from ringside other stuff don't bother. Good luck!
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

One important thing I see alot of newbies doing. Don't buy profight gloves made for exactly what they're meant for and named after, PROFIGHTS! I hear too many people complaining how they'll use a good pair of profight 8-12oz reyes or grants and say they don't feel comfortable or they wore them out in 3 months. Profight gloves not made for that man. Unless you get winnings you can maybe use them for heavybag and sparring because they are so well made, but preferably not. 14,16oz heavybag gloves imfs or title gels what you need Imo.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
One important thing I see alot of newbies doing. Don't buy profight gloves made for exactly what they're meant for and named after, PROFIGHTS! I hear too many people complaining how they'll use a good pair of profight 8-12oz reyes or grants and say they don't feel comfortable or they wore them out in 3 months. Profight gloves not made for that man. Unless you get winnings you can maybe use them for heavybag and sparring because they are so well made, but preferably not. 14,16oz heavybag gloves imfs or title gels what you need Imo.
This...

I'm a jackass for having used 12 oz'ers as the majority of my glove weight for punching bag use over the years (and... still...). My knuckles are permanantly swollen (middle finger on both hands) and all of them are an unhealthy shade of purple or red, and that doesn't fade after a couple months. I wouldn't know if it will fade eventually after longer than that, as I haven't ever taken more than just a couple months off. Also, I used to hit the heavy bag 6 times a week for 40+ minutes and I'm prrrrreeeeetttty sure that is just a tad overboard.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
ribtickler68
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
This...

I'm a jackass for having used 12 oz'ers as the majority of my glove weight for punching bag use over the years (and... still...). My knuckles are permanantly swollen (middle finger on both hands) and all of them are an unhealthy shade of purple or red, and that doesn't fade after a couple months. I wouldn't know if it will fade eventually after longer than that, as I haven't ever taken more than just a couple months off. Also, I used to hit the heavy bag 6 times a week for 40+ minutes and I'm prrrrreeeeetttty sure that is just a tad overboard.
You were a heavy bag addict, too, Smoak? I used to love hitting that bag (maybe too much for my own good!).
ribtickler68 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
daprofessor
da legendary professor
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceFranklin View Post
I was wondering what gear and everything that I should get be most comfortable and best prepared I already plan on getting cleto reyes gloves because I love the way they look!
like sneakers....not all gloves fit the same or feel the same. my recommendation to you is try on a few pair before you pick your brand. if that isn't an option and there isn't a store near you...try not to go for the most expensive brand up front. proboxingsupplies.com sells some great equipment that is reasonably priced and lasts.
daprofessor is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #8
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribtickler68 View Post
You were a heavy bag addict, too, Smoak? I used to love hitting that bag (maybe too much for my own good!).
Second best work out on the planet, only to sparring itself.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
Piece
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
This...

You got to strengthen the tendons in your hands. Try doing finger tip push ups...but not too man, both sets and reps. Keep them at 10 or less. And if you don't feel comfortable, don't do them like regular pushups, start against the wall or on your knees.

Preferably less and no more than about three sets with a warm up thrown in.

After that, hang. Hang from a rope or throw a towel over. Same thing...three or four sets.

It will strengthen your tendons and expedite the healing process.

Also try massaging the opposite direction of the tendon. Good luck.

Oh...and stretch your whole body. It's all connected.
Piece is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece View Post
You got to strengthen the tendons in your hands. Try doing finger tip push ups...but not too man, both sets and reps. Keep them at 10 or less. And if you don't feel comfortable, don't do them like regular pushups, start against the wall or on your knees.

Preferably less and no more than about three sets with a warm up thrown in.

After that, hang. Hang from a rope or throw a towel over.

It will strengthen your tendons and expedite the healing process.

Also try massaging the opposite direction of the tendon. Good luck.

Oh...and stretch your whole body. It's all connected.
Thanks. Will give some of that a try, buddy...
Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

Quote:
This...

What kind of handwraps and brand you using man? Has alot to do with it. Even if you had 16-20oz you still need good ones, breathable, well made. Title "authentic" Mexican wraps are best. Wont cost you more than $2 a pair. Make sure they white, like the pros, don't buy that neon colored shit or $20-$30 for a pair. I take chondroitin for joints, some say it takes care of your cartilage/joints, some say nay, but you need to take care of that too, not just muscles, maybe might help your knuckles, but brand could be cause of your knuckle problem, I've broken and swollen my hands with 16oz everlasts and their shitty wraps. The MX model only one worth a damn, but for training 14-16oz grants all day or my favorites title black blitzes 14-16oz those are the shizz for $150-$200,or for about half the price samething just get title powergels, samething, but blitzes are wicked looking.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
Piece
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks. Will give some of that a try, buddy...
Some people use a bucked of rice and open and close their hand. Tensing it when it's fully open and again when it's full closed.

Before you do any hand exercises, you should open and close your hands, slowly, and tense as you do it. It gets the blood flowing. Make a claw basically and open and close that claw.

And the reason for the fingertip pushups is the back side of your hand and the grip works the belly of your hand or the palm...

Your forearms get the work though because that's where the muscles are. The tendons are in your fingers.

You'll see.

Don't do it to often though. No more than once a week for a while and twice at the most...but only when you build up.
Piece is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2014, 12:46 AM   #13
shoe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 0

keep your gloves up. and duck triple G.
shoe is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing