Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-21-2014, 03:52 AM   #16
Entaowed
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Evander Holyfield vs Prime Mike Tyson

I do not see Tyson looking nearly as good on film as in his prime about a decade earlier.

Holyfiield needed tying up, head butting arguably, & PEDs to be better than a way post prime Tyson.

Of course the biting-& let's call it what it was, biting off part of his ear-was shameful & deeply wrong.
Entaowed is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2014, 04:57 AM   #17
PernellSweetPea
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForemanJab View Post
Holyfield always had Tyson's number. He wasn't afraid of Mike and would come right after him. 1992 Holy vs 1988 Tyson--->Holyfield by 11th round TKO
1988 Tyson was a little too much head movement for Evander. He would break him down. Mike's window of greatness is very fast, but when he was in that area of 1986 to 1988 he was great.
PernellSweetPea is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #18
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid***ile View Post
Holyfield would almost always beat Tyson if they fought 100 times. He's the better fighter, and he was strong in places Mike was weak. What you are seeing with Evander tying up Tyson isn't him being afraid, it's good strategy. It's how Tunney beat Dempsey and Young beat Foreman. As far as Evander being afraid goes, I've never seen anyone look less afraid of Tyson. The dude was completely relaxed and looked ecstatic to be entering the ring, knowing with absolute certainty that he was about to be the Champion of the World. I think he was actually singing along to his walk out song. It looked like he wanted to skip.

People say that the late eighties Mike Tyson was the best Mike Tyson and maybe so, but I don't think he dropped off as much as people say. I think what happened was that he stepped up his competition. Of course, he looked unstoppable fighting an old Larry Holmes, and a blown up light heavyweight Michael Spinks. He's still a top 10 all time head to head heavyweight, but he looked unbeatable because he hadn't faced a Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe, on his level. Sonny Liston and George Foreman both looked the same before they ran into Ali, and Dempsey looked ferocious before he ran into Tunney. Guys always get that aura of invincibility about them when they put a lot of victories and knockouts together. Then some slick boxer breaks their streak and humanizes them.

Exactly. Competition. And usually that competition thing means not fighting the old guys anymore. No more old reflexes guys on that opponent list. Now it's fighting contemporaries. Later on it becomes him being the old guy taking on the up and comers.

Reflexes change everything. When those reflexes start to go, the results just aren't there. Most guys cannot adapt to compensate. Evander could. It was the other guy that didn't have that in his game.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
energie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

tyson
energie is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #20
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

At his best (nineteen and eighty-eight), I think Tyson ends things rather early.
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #21
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd pick Tyson, but Holyfield has a hell of a chin (as did Tyson) so I don't see it being a blow out and if Holyfield could last past the first 4-5 rounds he'd be on the comeback and could possibly win a decision. But if Tyson gets one or two knock downs, it would be a hard task to overcome these two point rounds.

When they fought I actually picked Holyfield to win, mostly because I knew Tyson was fighting mediocre fighters, ie Bruce Sheldon, and even worse, wasn't getting many rounds under his belt.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #22
The Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by epl View Post
I've always thought Tyson between 1986-90 would've destroyed Holyfield before the 4th bell. He was just too powerful and fast, and Holyfield hadn't perfected his head-butting/hugging techniques yet. Holy would've been lucky to reach the first bell, in my humble opinion.
Agreed, although Mike was well on the decline by the Bruno fight of '89.

He said himself in his biography that he was amazed bruno didn't beat him he was so out of shape.
The Sweeney is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum