Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #181
BlizzyBlizz
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Hopkins never beat an A-level fighter in his entire career at a fair weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
Bernard Hopkins.. As old as he was, he was still an elite fighter, and proved it further after Calzaghe beat him. this was Calzaghe's best win in my opinion, when you factor in that Calzaghe won a world title at his second weight, in America.. Something Eubank, DM and many others didn't attempt.

I can't agree with bailey here.. The Roy that fought Hall was clearly a different animal.
I'm a big Calzaghe fan, but I don't think that he beat Hop.
BlizzyBlizz is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #182
BlizzyBlizz
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Hopkins never beat an A-level fighter in his entire career at a fair weight

The Jones that lost to Calzaghe was washed up. He hit Cal with a wrist shot and put him down. Normally that big right hand lands on the chin or body or he's landing a chin checking blazing left hook.

Roy was ko'd twice before he fought Cal. Roy's biggest asset was his conditioning. He could keep the heat on you for the entire 12 rounds. The Roy that kept fighting on was a guy who looked for one shot, tried to pot shot until he was driven to the ropes and covered up. That Roy fought off the ropes after the guy landed some shots. That wasn't Roy.
BlizzyBlizz is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #183
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzyBlizz View Post
I'm a big Calzaghe fan, but I don't think that he beat Hop.

I think Joe beat Hopkins.. There were a lot of rounds that were hard to score, but I think Joe did enough to win clearly. I only watched this dreadful fight twice, but the time I scored it, I think I had Joe winning 116-113.

Regardless, It was a great win for Joe Calzaghe, it is hard to imagine a Calzaghe fan scoring that fight for Hopkins... I felt it was a close but clear win for Joe.
Mind Reader is online now  Top
Old 08-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #184
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
I think Joe beat Hopkins.. There were a lot of rounds that were hard to score, but I think Joe did enough to win clearly. I only watched this dreadful fight twice, but the time I scored it, I think I had Joe winning 116-113.

Regardless, It was a great win for Joe Calzaghe, it is hard to imagine a Calzaghe fan scoring that fight for Hopkins... I felt it was a close but clear win for Joe.

My thoughts? Well i dont have to tell you cause you are Mind Reader () but for the rest of the thoroughly intrigued posters out there, here are my observations from the objaydar....

1. Very close fight - unsure who won really
2. No one really "won" that fight. It was dreadful
3. Hopkins would have been stopped for the first time in his career had Corruptez not allowed him a 5 minute time out for absolutely nothing
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #185
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beouche View Post
My thoughts? Well i dont have to tell you cause you are Mind Reader () but for the rest of the thoroughly intrigued posters out there, here are my observations from the objaydar....

1. Very close fight - unsure who won really
2. No one really "won" that fight. It was dreadful
3. Hopkins would have been stopped for the first time in his career had Corruptez not allowed him a 5 minute time out for absolutely nothing

I just don't think Hopkins did enough.. Joe's punches though not hurting Hopkins, were scoring. Joe physically was in much better shape, his stamina was on a different level. Joe had super human like stamina, and it is a great asset to have as a fighter. In order to develop stamina like that takes a great deal of mental toughness as well, as you are always pushing your body to the maximum limit, lots of will power.

Hopkins was acting like a complete punk too, much like his second fight with Roy.. Hopkins has never dealt with fast hands very well. He may have very well been stopped by Joe had he not been given the break, he just simply couldn't keep up..

Hopkins though out of his physical prime, was still an A level fighter in my opinion, his tactics though controversial and boring as hell, are somewhat genius, and it takes smarts and skill to pull it off.

Last edited by Mind Reader; 08-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Mind Reader is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum