Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #31
rinsj
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leanords victory over Hagler was one of the greatest of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown-bomber View Post
It's different for certain fighters. Hagler was active and was involved in wars, the Mugabi fight was a freakin war!

I had Leonard winning 7-5 or 6-5-1.

Just like how Leonard got in to him mentally, he waited for the right time too. As athletic as he was, he was one smart, cunniving fighter. He waited for the right time and it paid off.

A hell of a victory nonetheless. The brilliant thing about it is that Hagler loses little to no credibility for losing this fight.
I guess I watched a somewhat different fight, because I scored it 6-5-1 for Hagler.
rinsj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #32
ElCyclon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
Those that say Leonard waited for Hagler to get old confuse me. Was Leonard getting younger in the process?
Do you know the difference between ring age and real age?

While Leonard's body recuperated during his lay-off Hagler's body was still
taking a toll inside the ring.

Hope that sheds some light on the subject for you!
ElCyclon is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #33
burzumboy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1431

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post
A career welterweight with 1 fight in 5 years, fighting at middleweight for the 1st time and beating arguably the greatest middleweight of all time on an 11 year unbeaten streak.

It annoys me how esb users look to throw mud on this unbelievable achievement

1) Leonard won that fight imo, close but clear 115-113, I can accept a draw, or maybe a close Hagler win, but a robbery - not in a million years.

The thing that made this fight a robbery was the disgusting 118-110 scorecard. The only time I watched this fight I had Haggler winning 115-113. I don't mind if someone had Leonard winning by the same margin but to have it wide is ridiculous.

Last edited by burzumboy; 09-14-2013 at 08:00 PM.
burzumboy is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #34
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Fraizer over Ali in their first fight is right up there as well.
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #35
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by burzumboy View Post
The thing that made this fight a robbery was the disgusting 118-110 scorecard. The only time I watched this fight I had Haggler winning 115-113. I don't mind if someone had Leonard winning by the same margin but to have it wide is ridiculous.
This.

It is why Paul Williams vs. Sergio Martinez I is viewed as a robbery. Because one judge had a crazy 118-109 scorecard. When in reality it was a close win.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #36
Curry85
Journeyman

Leonard won, and it was a great performance.
Curry85 is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #37
Jackson's Fury
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post
A career welterweight with 1 fight in 5 years, fighting at middleweight for the 1st time and beating arguably the greatest middleweight of all time on an 11 year unbeaten streak.

It annoys me how esb users look to throw mud on this unbelievable achievement

1) Leonard won that fight imo, close but clear 115-113, I can accept a draw, or maybe a close Hagler win, but a robbery - not in a million years.

2) Leonard waited for Hagler to get old - Leonard retired with a detached retina, whilst Leonard waited for Hagler to supposedly get old, Leonard was getting rustier and rustier - c'mon 1 fight in 5 years is ridiculous.

3) Hagler was past his peak - I don't buy it, he was coming off 2 of the best victories of his entire career against Hearns and Mugabi, yes they were wars, yes they took a little out of Hagler but they were 2 outstanding performances at the end of an 11 year unbeaten streak.

4) Leonards shots were pitter patter. He mixed the power up in his shots really well, his punch selections was excellent, everytime Hagler had his back against the wall Leonard fought him back off even in the rounds Hagler was winning despite Leonard being the naturally lighter man. Leonard showed outstanding ability to fight in the pocket through rounds 5 to 11, he showed great adaptability during the fight and he fought great in adversity every single time he needed to.

One of the most intriguing aspects of the fight for me was that Leonard got into Haglers head, all the way through the fight he deliberately used tactics to annoy Hagler such as moving well, holding, punching after the break, showboating, poking his chin out, pushing haglers head down, punching out of the clinch, making Hagler miss, pretending he was overly tired - Leonard messed Haglers head up in that fight, he beat Hagler on the outside and when Hagler thought he was fighting his fight on the inside Leonard had the versatility to fight him off, Hagler just couldn't work out how to beat Leonard and left the ring and incredibly frustrated man.

That win in my eyes goes down as one of the greatest ever.
Jackson's Fury is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #38
Swansea Osprey
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I watched this fight for the first time last night ( happened b4 my time and I'm not one to watch past fights )

I scored it 116-112 for Leonard ( few close rounds though )

I was VERY impressed with Leonard especially as he'd been out of the ring for so long can only assume he was better b4 this fight ????

On Hagler ! Was he like a Middleweight version of Margarito ? As in he just walks you down and will just take punches to get to you ? As I said its the only Hagler fight I've seen ! Apart from the "WAR" with Hearns
Swansea Osprey is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #39
slash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

it just looked like hagler threw that fight. terrible performance from haggler- slow, inaccurate punching- moving in molasses
slash is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #40
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It was a great win for Leonard considering his inactivity and the weight class he was suddenly in. Huge win.

I do need to correct the OP when he says he doesn't buy that Hagler wasn't past prime. He absolutely was. Go watch him in 1980-1983 and tell me that's the same guy. Not a chance.

I don't mean for that to detract from what Leonard did, though. Enormous achievement.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum