Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
bodyopus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: If you consider that Floyd Jr. & Sr. have very similar styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimonerz View Post
Made a thread about it. Take a look at my breakdown. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Very good breakdown, thanks for that. I don't know who wins. I saw them both fight live on television many times and I certainly wouldn't automatically agree w/the masses and say SRL wins hands down.
bodyopus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #17
Pro
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Lol at this dumbass comment.
So your sayin Roberto Duran didn't Joe Fraizer SRL?

But besides that...if you could box with Ray, had a decent chin, and speed you could beat him.

He got lucky against Tommy and ran from Hagler/Duran 2. Lost to Tommy the 2nd time and got a gift...he wasn't as good as people make him...when I watch Ray Leonard I see speed and flash...no defense hence the early eye retirements...not to mention how he ran from Aaron Pryor so...sure we're entitled to laugh but where are you coming from...Ray Leonard is overrated to me.
Pro is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #18
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro View Post
So your sayin Roberto Duran didn't Joe Fraizer SRL?

But besides that...if you could box with Ray, had a decent chin, and speed you could beat him.

He got lucky against Tommy and ran from Hagler/Duran 2. Lost to Tommy the 2nd time and got a gift...he wasn't as good as people make him...when I watch Ray Leonard I see speed and flash...no defense hence the early eye retirements...not to mention how he ran from Aaron Pryor so...sure we're entitled to laugh but where are you coming from...Ray Leonard is overrated to me.
Gotta love revisionist history.

SRL fought Duran close in the first fight, and was actually doing pretty well by the time the fight ended (I had him winning the last three rounds to make it a one point fight on my card). Wasn't his fault that Duran ate himself into the cruiserweight division in the time between their two fights. And it wasn't his fault for choosing to use his head more and force Duran to chase the second time around. If Duran got sick of doing that, that was his problem, not SRL's.

Plus..He had Tommy on wobbly legs in the sixth and seventh in the first fight, and wasn't that far behind on the cards going into the thirteenth. No luck involved; he forced Hearns to box at range, and managed to track him down and stop him late. Hell, in the second fight, he had Hearns in all sorts of trouble in the final round. Yeah, Tommy likely should have won, but it's not as though Leonard didn't have his moments.

As for ducking Pryor...he offered Pryor a career high purse to face him in the latter part of 1981, before Pryor really became a household name. The Hawk balked at the offer. Nuff said.

As for no defense.... I suggest watching the manner in which he defended against Benitez, who was an accurate puncher. SRL out-boxed the man known as El radar, which gives an indication of how adept he was at dedending when so inclined.

Mayweather has moments against SRL to be certain. He's too good not to have moments. But the Ray who peaked in 81 ain't losing to the Mayweather who campaigns at WW.
Drew101 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum