Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #76
Avenger

vCash: 75
Default Re: Who exactly has Povetkin beat?

Hes beaten some decent fighters although no all time greats. He's a good fighter though and he knows he is in the fight of his life. should be very interesting.
Avenger is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #77
Nay_Sayer
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
Bowe wiped the floor with poor mans WK didn't he?!? LOL Prime Bowe was given boxing lessons by mental case Golota and Miroshnichenko! Deal with it....
Lol.

Didn't Bowe WIN the Golata fights?

Wlad, OTOH, has NEVER shared the ring with a HW as good as Golata was.

NEVER.
Nay_Sayer is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #78
-GhettoWizard-
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
When did I say anything about American fighters being so good?

If the Eastern Europeans are SO GOOD then it's certainly apparent by looking at most credible p4p top ten lists...
this
-GhettoWizard- is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #79
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Povetkin has put together a pretty decent record, I think part of the problem is that a lot of it came 5-6 years ago and recently its been a lot more lacking.

Chambers and Chagaev are his best wins. Chambers was undefeated and Chagaev was on the decline but still a contender, those are good wins.

Byrd and Donald were clearly past their best but Povetkin only had about a dozen pro fights himself so I'd still say those are good wins but below his 2 best.

Huck, Estrada, and Boswell aren't bad wins either. I'm in the minority and think Povetkin beat Huck.I know a lot of people thought Huck won and I can see that but I scored it for Povetkin.

Even early in his career he was beating solid guys like Ahunanya and Bostice while Povetkin had less than 10 fights himself, thats solid but it was years ago so it doesn't hold much weight now.

I don't think Povetkin beats Wlad because I don't think he has the tools to do it. But, overall and on paper, Povetkin is a good fighter and would be a good win for Wlad if he wins. He could be argued into any spot in Wlad's top 5 wins.

There's no way he'd beat those 90's fighters I've seen mentioned. Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe, and Tyson definitely beat Povetkin but those are some of the best heavies in history. If you go by the other cotenders of the era-Moorer, Mercer, Golota, Morrison, Foreman, etc I think Povetkin is right there with them and would be a solid contender in any era.
BOGART is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #80
Alcaldemb
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGART View Post
Povetkin has put together a pretty decent record, I think part of the problem is that a lot of it came 5-6 years ago and recently its been a lot more lacking.

Chambers and Chagaev are his best wins. Chambers was undefeated and Chagaev was on the decline but still a contender, those are good wins.

Byrd and Donald were clearly past their best but Povetkin only had about a dozen pro fights himself so I'd still say those are good wins but below his 2 best.

Huck, Estrada, and Boswell aren't bad wins either. I'm in the minority and think Povetkin beat Huck.I know a lot of people thought Huck won and I can see that but I scored it for Povetkin.

Even early in his career he was beating solid guys like Ahunanya and Bostice while Povetkin had less than 10 fights himself, thats solid but it was years ago so it doesn't hold much weight now.

I don't think Povetkin beats Wlad because I don't think he has the tools to do it. But, overall and on paper, Povetkin is a good fighter and would be a good win for Wlad if he wins. He could be argued into any spot in Wlad's top 5 wins.

There's no way he'd beat those 90's fighters I've seen mentioned. Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe, and Tyson definitely beat Povetkin but those are some of the best heavies in history. If you go by the other cotenders of the era-Moorer, Mercer, Golota, Morrison, Foreman, etc I think Povetkin is right there with them and would be a solid contender in any era.
Probably the most sensible reply I've seen.
Alcaldemb is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #81
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcaldemb View Post
Probably the most sensible reply I've seen.

Thanks. It seems there are some that think this fight is a mismatch and if thats the case than its because Wlad has become such a dominating champion.

Povetkin is clearly a good fighter and holds his own in any era. Sure, guys like Lewis, Tyson, Holmes, Foreman,Ali, etc would be big favorites over Povetkin but those are all-time greats.

If you put Povetkin up against the other contenders of other eras than I'd say he rates on par with a lot of them. Based on styles and how they perform that night Povetkin beats some of the best contenders and loses to some of them.

Povetkin's a good heavyweight, no all-time great but still good. I think his reputation has been hurt by two things. 1 He started out with so much promise and then spent several years mostly beating up on journeymen. Even today he hasn't been fighting the competition he was but it has gotten better. 2 He clealry ducked Wlad a time or two. Those two things have really sent Povetkin's stock down and it hasn't quite gotten back to where it was. It seems some might judge him harsher than usual due to those two things.

So if someone sees this as just another ho-hum defense by Wlad than that says a lot about how impressive Wlad, and his current run, have become.
BOGART is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum