Old 11-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #17
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103
Default Re: Matvei Korobov turns pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47
His parents immigrated to the US in the mid 90s, and he frequently visited them so its not that surprising. Matt Korobov does sound silly though. Anybody have the video?
I think the Anglicizing of his name to "Matt" is great. It will make him more appealing to American redneck fans. Povetkin should do the same thing and call himself "Al." After all, American rednecks are a big part of the American sporting audience.

I am curious as to what Korobov's ethnic background is. I doubt that he is fully Russian. Is he Tartar?
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

It only takes 15 seconds to see that Korobov has fantastic skills and speed.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #19
rumour24tiger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He does look good. Very good. Relaxed, aggressive, compact, nice array of punches.

I hope Bob Arum does somthing good with him. I think he'll be keen to develop Koborov as his next big middleweight, for when Pavlik moves up to super middle.
rumour24tiger is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2008, 05:58 AM   #20
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent retard
What should they call Beibut Shumenov? I am thinking "Billy" would suffice! How in the heck would they palatize Islam Timurziev? Possibly "Ishy" I think you may be on to something.

I am also curious as to Korobov's, sorry; I mean Matty's ethnic background. He looks Dagestani to me. I believe he was raised in a remote part of Eastern Russia, for whatever that may be worth.

I bet Avk47 can elaborate!
Islam Timurziev should be called Ishy "Slam" Timmerman

Beibut Shumenov would probably be beter approximated to Bobby (or Bubba) Shuman.

I don't know what Korobov's ethinic ancestry is. He's got an ethnically Russian name and is hardly a strongly tartar looking guy, so he could just be Russian. Coming from Orkutan doesn't really tell anything. Magadan was an area where due to prison camps and natural resources people were moved there during the Soviet Union from all the republics of the union.

Anyway, it's silly to be so specific with someone's exact ethnicity in Russia, unless your name is like Islam Timurziev and you grew up in Dagestan, are Muslim and it is quite clear who your ancestors were. The rest of us Russians all have a mix in us. I know I probably have a bit of tartar in me as well as some other nationalities although I consider myself Russian. I always thought my grandfather from the north was very slavic, but then it turned out he was so light because of some ancestors from Karelia (Finns).
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 AM   #21
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore
I think the Anglicizing of his name to "Matt" is great. It will make him more appealing to American redneck fans. Povetkin should do the same thing and call himself "Al." After all, American rednecks are a big part of the American sporting audience.

I am curious as to what Korobov's ethnic background is. I doubt that he is fully Russian. Is he Tartar?
Povetkin doesn't need to cater for American rednecks, and there is not really such a fascination with the US market in Russia any more. Povetkin's marketing positions him more as a proud patriot, calling him the Russian warrior etc. He is frequently quoted as saying 'I'm fighting for Russia' etc. Even his entrance song is pretty patriotic with references to Slavic mythology etc. In his last fight in Checkhov he came out in a procession of paratroopers carrying the Russian flag, and bimbos in camoflage outfits.

He's got a huge market at home, and there is no need for him to move out west and Americanize. In fact, that would probably lower his earning potential.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #22
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Great info/oponions Avk Especially the "Bubba Shuman" suggestion. The only problem is that "Shuman" could be mistaken for a Hebrew surname so I fear one would have to further modify the name.

How about Bubba Shum???
Yes, but there is the tradeoff. If Bubba takes Shuman, he gets the approval of the wealthy jewish population, but the rednecks don't like him.

He should opt for a compromise: Bubba Shumer.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #23
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47
Islam Timurziev should be called Ishy "Slam" Timmerman

Beibut Shumenov would probably be beter approximated to Bobby (or Bubba) Shuman.

I don't know what Korobov's ethinic ancestry is. He's got an ethnically Russian name and is hardly a strongly tartar looking guy, so he could just be Russian. Coming from Orkutan doesn't really tell anything. Magadan was an area where due to prison camps and natural resources people were moved there during the Soviet Union from all the republics of the union.

Anyway, it's silly to be so specific with someone's exact ethnicity in Russia, unless your name is like Islam Timurziev and you grew up in Dagestan, are Muslim and it is quite clear who your ancestors were. The rest of us Russians all have a mix in us. I know I probably have a bit of tartar in me as well as some other nationalities although I consider myself Russian. I always thought my grandfather from the north was very slavic, but then it turned out he was so light because of some ancestors from Karelia (Finns).
Truly spoken,avk! A decade ago nobody cared a fig whether your mother was korean and your father Ukranian . You spoke Russian- you were Russian aka homo sovieticus.That has changed a lot in lot of countries of the former soviet union.Nevertheless,there is still a strong bond among all russian speaking people whether you are Belarussian,Ukranian,Kazahk,Russian,Moldavian,or Tartar.
However,people from the caucasian region have been excluded from that greater russian comuntiy due to various reasons.

My wife's grandfather was mongolian.Nevertheless,she looks more typical Belarussian than most of ethnic Belarussians of pure blood.
Odo is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #24
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
What should they call Beibut Shumenov? I am thinking "Billy" would suffice! How in the heck would they palatize Islam Timurziev? Possibly "Ishy" I think you may be on to something.

I am also curious as to Korobov's, sorry; I mean Matty's ethnic background. He looks Dagestani to me. I believe he was raised in a remote part of Eastern Russia, for whatever that may be worth.

I bet Avk47 can elaborate!
**** off, there's only one ishy.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #25
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:

Hasn't he already spent a substantial amount of time in the US, with his family living in Florida for the past 8 years or so? If so, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes by "Matt" when he's in the US anyway, whether or not he does it for promotional purposes.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #26
southpawslick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

I work with rednecks. They don't know shit about boxing. The last HW champ they can name is Ali
southpawslick is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #27
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus
Hasn't he already spent a substantial amount of time in the US, with his family living in Florida for the past 8 years or so? If so, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes by "Matt" when he's in the US anyway, whether or not he does it for promotional purposes.
Not really, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] it says that he reunited with his parents for the first time since they immigrated at the World Championships 2007.

Quote:
Would you consider that Ismail Sillakh(sp) guy to be Ukranian? His father is from Sierra Leon. He is about as Ukranian as Herbie Hide is English.
Sillakh is half Ukrainian, I think? Hide is 100% Nigerian, he just moved to England as a child.
NBT is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #28
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Actually; You were my inspiration for Islam's Anglo name equivalent.
I take that as a compliment . So, is Islam going to turn pro or is he staying amateur?
ishy is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #29
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT
Not really, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] it says that he reunited with his parents for the first time since they immigrated at the World Championships 2007.

Sillakh is half Ukrainian, I think? Hide is 100% Nigerian, he just moved to England as a child.
Silakh's mother is Ukranian, father is from Sierra Leone. He was born in Ukraine and never left the country until he started going to boxing tournaments. He went to school there and learned everything he know there. I'd say he's more Ukranian than African, even if his skin is dark.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #30
southpawslick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
No doubt! The most ravenous fight fans in the U.S. are people of Latino origin. Maybe we should be using Spanish names. Mateo Korobov, ANYONE!!!
Brilliant
southpawslick is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum