boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
atg

vCash: 1000
Default got cranked w/ a body shot today.

I was sparring with a guy who is 178 lbs(im 145) and we did some sparring drills first round jabs only, second one jabs and crosses and 3rd round only hooks and uppercuts. I was doing fine until the 3rd round where he kept hitting my ribs. I through back at his head and sent quick combos at him but at one point he just smashed me w/ a hook to the ribs. I leaned over and I felt I couldn't breath. Lucklily he stopped for a second and I got back up. But I felt like I was going to throw up. It happened again w/ another body shot in the next round and after that I felt like I was gonna collapse.

My question is should this be happening? Do I need to work harder on ab work or road work? Or is it I just need to improve my defense?
atg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: got cranked w/ a body shot today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg
I was sparring with a guy who is 178 lbs(im 145) and we did some sparring drills first round jabs only, second one jabs and crosses and 3rd round only hooks and uppercuts. I was doing fine until the 3rd round where he kept hitting my ribs. I through back at his head and sent quick combos at him but at one point he just smashed me w/ a hook to the ribs. I leaned over and I felt I couldn't breath. Lucklily he stopped for a second and I got back up. But I felt like I was going to throw up. It happened again w/ another body shot in the next round and after that I felt like I was gonna collapse.

My question is should this be happening? Do I need to work harder on ab work or road work? Or is it I just need to improve my defense?
More ab work wont help as much as getting hit in the stomach, or dropping the good old medicine ball on your stomach everyday.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 12:49 AM   #3
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg

.........No amount of ab work will make you immune to body shots. No matter how many situps you do, they're always gonna hurt. Tough to say without a video how open you were, so I can't comment on that.

Good experience for you in a way, though. Now when you next read some bunghole denegrade Oscar for going down against Hopkins, you can laugh to yourself and know they have never taken a good body shot.

Last edited by joffo; 04-24-2006 at 11:46 PM.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 AM   #4
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
.........No amount of ab work will make you immune to body shots. No matter how many situps you do, they're always gonna hurt. Tough to say without a video how open you were, so I can't comment on that.

Good experience for you in a way, though. Now when you next read some bunghole denegrade Oscar for going down against Hopkins, you can laugh to yourself and know they have never taken a good body shot.
Yeah really haha...Liver is what knocks you out, in between the ribs is what opens your guard up for an attack up top....But imo the best way (if there really is one) to take better body shots is by just taking body shots...Im not implying that you dont try to block them btw....haha
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
JMonster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

working on ur stamina will help. and just learn from how u kept getting hit. i bet the main thing it had to do w/ is that it was the 3rd round (last round)
JMonster is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 03:53 AM   #6
atg

Yeah I really didn't eat right today, which might have made me tired and more vulnerable and not as alert. But it was a really hard punch though.
atg is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

guys like shane mosley and oscar de la hoya have some of the most ripped abs in the sport but even they get hurt from bodyshots.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
0.5sj719

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg
Yeah I really didn't eat right today, which might have made me tired and more vulnerable and not as alert. But it was a really hard punch though.
I did 3 rounds today also, and I only got in 2 meals with only 6 hrs of rest. I felt worn out after the 1st round, but kept going even though I was slow and tired. Rest and diet does effect your training. Tomorrow I gotta go another 3 rounds.
0.5sj719 is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
More ab work wont help as much as getting hit in the stomach, or dropping the good old medicine ball on your stomach everyday.

Ali must've been a God against Foreman or Frazier.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
atg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0.5sj719
I did 3 rounds today also, and I only got in 2 meals with only 6 hrs of rest. I felt worn out after the 1st round, but kept going even though I was slow and tired. Rest and diet does effect your training. Tomorrow I gotta go another 3 rounds.
Yea it really does. The main thing with me is it seems like shots don't hurt as much when I'm tired so as a result I don't stay as alert. I think I gonna take a vitaman or something or something. Cause it just really wasn't me normally last nite in sparring. Should have stayed on the outside more.

BUT in the end I'm glad it happened there because now that I think of it I was gettin ****y to try to fight on the inside like that. Also if that would happen in a real fight, even though most people my weight won't punch nearly as hard, the shock of the wind gettin taken out of me won't be as a suprise.
atg is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #11
0.5sj719

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg
Yea it really does. The main thing with me is it seems like shots don't hurt as much when I'm tired so as a result I don't stay as alert. I think I gonna take a vitaman or something or something. Cause it just really wasn't me normally last nite in sparring. Should have stayed on the outside more.

BUT in the end I'm glad it happened there because now that I think of it I was gettin ****y to try to fight on the inside like that. Also if that would happen in a real fight, even though most people my weight won't punch nearly as hard, the shock of the wind gettin taken out of me won't be as a suprise.
Im also going to start taking some multivitamins since all the water in my body comes out when Im in the gym, its really freaking hot. Just do what you think is working and listen to your trainer. I used alot of advice I got from this forum and my trainer in last nights sparring, IE uppercuts when low, getting a little low, moving alot so the infighter couldnt plant his feet.

Sparring is where its at.
0.5sj719 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing