Old 08-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
jonesjrp4p1
16 yr old prodigy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1557
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker Highlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc#1
awesome highlights i think pbf does everything better but pernell had more power and was more offensive. Thats why a fight between these 2 would be hard to pick

your gonna catch some shit for that especially from the guy above you
jonesjrp4p1 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
mightyd40
Spartan
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesjrp4p1
your gonna catch some shit for that especially from the guy above you
u warned him and u were exactly right haha.....though i do agree with pea 100%
mightyd40 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Even at thirty, I find Pernell to be the man to Floyd's boy. For all the elusiveness and technical prowess of the two, I believe Pernell would beat him mentally.

I'll note that regardless of the above I find Whitaker to be the more impressive fighter even when disregarding character. He punched in combinations, worked the body consistently, was more busy, more relaxed and sat on his punches more.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
TheGreatest-915
Journeyman

wow great highlight
TheGreatest-915 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
jonesjrp4p1
16 yr old prodigy
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
he had 4 losses 1 draw and tested positive to cocaine and lost to jose ramirez in 88 floyd has never lost. There is no way that he looked better in the ring, floyd is faster you can't dispute that.He has not lost and he will not lose either i reakon most people would say that floyd wins better all round skills his legacy will be better.
its not all about the losses on the record look at their resumes.....pernell was better
Old 08-05-2007, 11:19 PM   #7
jonesjrp4p1
16 yr old prodigy
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Ok there chief, learn your stuff by what you see, not what you read on boxrec.

He had 3 of his losses when he was way past his prime, one of them due to pulling his shoulder and the ref stopping the fight, not anything to do with his opponent. The other was what many consider a robbery to an in his prime DLH when Pea was past his prime. Once again, I and many other consider that a robbery.

As for the Ramirez loss, it is widely accepted as one of THE biggest robberies in the sport's history. It was a damn near shutout for Pea, he dominated Ramirez, the decision was comical, ask ANYONE on this site. Also, Ramirez was a fighter at least as good if not better than Castillo who many believe Floyd lost to in their first fight. Floyd also dominated and shut him out in the rematch, something Floyd could not come close to doing to Castillo, who Ramirez was better than.

Also comes the fact that he had a better wins resume than PBF as I've said, he beat better fighters, and he looked better on film IN HIS PRIME, not way past his prime like in his fights against DLH and Tito.

In his prime, like that vid shows, he was clearly the superior fighter to someone like Mayweather, and would beat him head to head.

What the hell do you mean Floyd is faster, it's not debatable? It certainly is debatable. Floyd is more explosive as of one shot because he is more explosive, but Pea was much smoother and had the superior defense. Then comes the fact that he threw combos and stood in front of you to outbox you, while Floyd pot-shots and moves around.

So in closing, yeah I think you and Bigtime9 are among the few that think Floyd is better than Pea.

haha i knew you would go crazy on him haha........id still love to see them fight though.....sweet pea ud pretty boy
Old 08-06-2007, 04:29 AM   #8
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
he had 4 losses 1 draw and tested positive to cocaine and lost to jose ramirez in 88
Well we definitely know somebody hasn't seen the fight

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #9
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Great vid indeed. I dowloaded the AVI version (90Mb), which is in better quality and you can fully apreciate the famous part of the DLH fight where Pea make Oscar miss all of his 7 or 8 punches combos.
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 05:28 AM   #10
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

My favourite Pea dodging sequence is the one shown from an alternative angle from the one showed by the HBO coverage in the DLH-Pea interview done one week after the fight. It was the sequence at the end of round 10. Look at how Whitaker contorts his body to evade everything DLH threw. The look on DLH's face after they show him the footage is priceless too!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 05:31 AM   #11
META5
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Location: Why, why, why, why, I want to dive, feeling over!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuza
Great vid indeed. I dowloaded the AVI version (90Mb), which is in better quality and you can fully apreciate the famous part of the DLH fight where Pea make Oscar miss all of his 7 or 8 punches combos.
What's funny is to see Oscar's fake celebrtation ... he knew very well that he didn't find the mark with those punches, you can see it in that desperate arm flick at the end of the combination. Pea's defence was out of this world great ...

As to the argument between himself and PBF, I am a BIG fan of both of them. PBF is in Pea's realm talent wise, as to career and fight résumé, Floyd could only wish that he dominated fighters like Pea did, facing the calibre of fighters that Pea did, fighting right in front of them like Pea did. Floyd is, in my mind, undoubtedly great, Pernell is, however, that much better, that much more accomplished, that much more of a warrior, even if one chooses to argue that Floyd is slightly more technically refined.

Last edited by META5; 08-06-2007 at 05:48 AM.
META5 is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 05:45 AM   #12
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by META5
What's funny is to see Oscar's fake celebrtation ... he knew very well that he didn't find the mark with those punches, you can see it in that desperate arm flick at the end of the combination. Pea's defence was out of this world great ...

As to the argument between himself and PBF, I am BIG fans of both of them. PBF is in Pea's realm talent wise, as to career and fight résumé, Floyd could only wish that he dominated fighters like Pea did, facing the calibre of fighters that Pea did, fighting right in front of them like Pea did. Floyd is, in my mind, undoubtedly great, Pernell is, however, that much better, that much more accomplished, that much more of a warrior, even if one chooses to argue that Floyd is slightly more technically refined.
Nice words Meta

When all is said and done I don't think there'll be a large chasm between Pea and PBF, but I don't think PBF will ever rank as his equal.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #13
META5
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Location: Why, why, why, why, I want to dive, feeling over!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
Nice words Meta

When all is said and done I don't think there'll be a large chasm between Pea and PBF, but I don't think PBF will ever rank as his equal.
No ... he never will, IMO.

PBF has Castillo, Pea has Chavez ... that pretty much sums it up for me.
META5 is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #14
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I can see PBF beating guys like Hatton, Mosley, Cotto, and Williams, but I doubt he gets the time to beat them all, especially being as he continues to age and perhaps picks up a loss. If he does beat all of them, maybe he surpasses Pea on resume, depending on what state they are in, but PBF will never rank above him head to head for me. Pea just had the style to always beat him.
Yeah, head to head you can pretty much call right now, irrespective of what Floyd goes on to do (he isn't going to get any better).

To me, guys like Hatton, Cotto, Mosley etc might be good wins, and I would favour PBF to beat them all, but even if he did, would that count more than a clear victory over Chavez and a fight that could have gone either way with a prime DLH (when Pea was himself on the slide)? I don't think so.

I just dont think Cotto or Hatton are THAT good. (And Mosley, depsite having a good showing against Colazo, is not anywhere near his prime). But that will be settled in time.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:05 AM   #15
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Good to see you posting Meta

Has anyone ever had better defense than the Pea? I'm not so sure. I used to rate Benitez the best i'd seen but Pea almost rivals him for slipping while parrying more often and efficiently. Benitez was almost all head movement where Whitaker is totally adept at both, brilliant really.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum