Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #46
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Why hasn't Lennox Lewis ...

I wonder if the queen will be on boxingrec comparing his resume with Coopers.
JonOli is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #47
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelem
cus the ****er has paid no taxes !! in fact u can call ll an immigrant
Half the nobs in the house of lords are domiciled elsewhere for taxpurposes.

Who cares if he pays no taxes in the UK, he can still be knighted etc as many others have been who pay tax elsewhere eg Lord Ashcroft the tory ass licker and Sir Jack Hayward.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #48
Anthony Farnell
Not the REAL Farnell!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
The comparison of Naz and b/s Archer shows that there is a race issue as well.

The only thing I remember Cooper for is those dodgy 1980s adverts for Everest double glazing.

No it doesn't.
Phil 'The Power' Taylor got his taken away aswell.
I think that points further to the class issue moreso than anything racial.
Anthony Farnell is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #49
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

..and (as previously posted) Lester Piggott, who was white and a legend in a "toffs sport".
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #50
steelem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
Half the nobs in the house of lords are domiciled elsewhere for taxpurposes.

Who cares if he pays no taxes in the UK, he can still be knighted etc as many others have been who pay tax elsewhere eg Lord Ashcroft the tory ass licker and Sir Jack Hayward.
no he cant be knighted - his a ****in tax dodger & has done **** all for not only the empire but for british charities - just cus his mum lives here does not give him the right for knighthood. i can bet lewis hamilton will be treated the same as his anothe Tax dodging cunt
steelem is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #51
clubberlang
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
Double Olympic Champion Kelly Holmes? The first British woman to ever do that, the first British athlete to do so since 1920? Same one, yeah?
Great achievement no doubt , take nothing away from her but she became a Dame more or less straight after! My point being that if you give people honours like that straight after winning something then you set a precedent for every athlete that wins in the olympics! For instance Adlington..young girl similar achievements and world record should also be a Dame.....takes away all motivation to go on and smash more and more records and you'd have to reward every person just because they won a Gold ie a british boxer who wins a Gold at a previously unsuccessful weight or a someone who wins an olympic marathon for the first time! Where does it end!
The Aussies and Americans have a culture based on winning, they expect success and their mentality is different to ours, if they win it is expected!Its about creating higher and higher standards in my opinion.
clubberlang is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #52
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

I don't know much about Holmes but didn't she serve for many years in the British army as well - a Sergent.

Also, on the the racial thing - isn't she black?
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #53
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubberlang
Great achievement no doubt , take nothing away from her but she became a Dame more or less straight after! My point being that if you give people honours like that straight after winning something then you set a precedent for every athlete that wins in the olympics! For instance Adlington..young girl similar achievements and world record should also be a Dame.....takes away all motivation to go on and smash more and more records and you'd have to reward every person just because they won a Gold ie a british boxer who wins a Gold at a previously unsuccessful weight or a someone who wins an olympic marathon for the first time! Where does it end!
The Aussies and Americans have a culture based on winning, they expect success and their mentality is different to ours, if they win it is expected!Its about creating higher and higher standards in my opinion.
The big difference between Adlington and Holmes is that Kelly had already said she was going to retire after those Olympics, Adlington still has at least one more games to go before she retires so she won't be made a Dame yet. Either way, I cannot believe being made a Sir/ Dame would de-motivate a world class athlete, they thrive and medals and records not BS awards.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #54
clubberlang
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
I don't know much about Holmes but didn't she serve for many years in the British army as well - a Sergent.

Also, on the the racial thing - isn't she black?
Yes to both questions and undoubtedly a good athlete, anyone who wins at an Olympics is obviously elite I just think we are too easy to reward success over here, it should be the legends who have consistently dominated a sport that should be knighted.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #55
girv
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I personally would like to see Knighthoods abolished.

Why reward people for being famous? which is what it effectively is half the time.

What makes an athlete or a film star more deserving of recognition than volunteer workers or someone in a lifesaving job like a surgeon?

Its a load of outdated rubbish that should have died out 2 centuries ago.
girv is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #56
clubberlang
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv
I personally would like to see Knighthoods abolished.

Why reward people for being famous? which is what it effectively is half the time.

What makes an athlete or a film star more deserving of recognition than volunteer workers or someone in a lifesaving job like a surgeon?

Its a load of outdated rubbish that should have died out 2 centuries ago.
I think they are great when used in the right context, the problem is these days they are handed out like confetti and it devalues the prestige of them!You only have to look at some of the jokers who have been awarded them in the past to see that!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #57
girv
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubberlang
I think they are great when used in the right context, the problem is these days they are handed out like confetti and it devalues the prestige of them!You only have to look at some of the jokers who have been awarded them in the past to see that!
Thats probably my main issue with them - example Sean Connery, beats women, talks about the running of Scotland a lot but chooses not to actually live here - gets a knighthood simply for being famous.
girv is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #58
surreal deal
Liverpool via Krypton
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
I wonder if the queen will be on boxingrec comparing his resume with Coopers.
Im almost certain she's banned from Boxrec for foul and abusive behaviour.
surreal deal is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #59
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelem
no he cant be knighted - his a ****in tax dodger & has done **** all for not only the empire but for british charities - just cus his mum lives here does not give him the right for knighthood. i can bet lewis hamilton will be treated the same as his anothe Tax dodging cunt
Are you a bit thick. Jack Hayward was knighted but pays sod all tax in the UK. Lord Ashcroft is exactly the same so stick your tax dodging arguement where the sun does not shine.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2008, 03:59 AM   #60
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Kelly Holmes was probably given the honour because she had worked that hard for 15 years and fought a load of injuries and 'inner battles' to win through, in what was surely her last chance

Nobody ever thought she was going to do it, because she had fallen before at the last hurdle. I bet those of you sticking the boot in were shouting at the TV louder than Steve Cram willing her to finish 1st!
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Closed Thread

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum