Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Twitter MMA Facebook Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-21-2007, 04:35 AM   #1
See Me Flow
The Pharaoh of Boxing
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Hatton warns Castillo to make weight

LAS VEGAS - Ricky Hatton has warned Jose Luis Castillo he will walk away from their Saturday super-fight in Las Vegas if the Mexican fails to hit the 140-pound light-welterweight limit.
Castillo has been dogged by weight problems in the past, most notably when he failed to make the weight for two projected showdowns against lightweight rival Diego Corrales.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And with worries about Castillo's weight still uppermost in many minds despite his move up a division, Hatton vowed: "If he doesn't get down to 140 pounds then the fight is off." Hatton does not want to make the same mistake as Corrales, who rashly agreed to go ahead with his second fight against the overweight Castillo in October 2005, only to suffer a fourth-round knockout.

"His track record is struggling to make the weight but at the end of the day he has got to do it this time or promoters and television companies won't want to know him," Hatton said. "For all the great fights he has been in, and the reputation he has built for being such a great fighter, if he doesn't make the weight he'll only be remembered for what he did on the scales."

Castillo looked in good shape as he performed his final public workout at the Top Rank gym on Wednesday, indicating he was currently a comfortable three pounds over the limit.
Hatton would be wiser to shut out Castillo's imminent meeting with the scales and concentrate on his own final preparations in this baking desert city.

After s****ing home in what were by his own admission unimpressive performances against Luis Collazo and Juan Urango, he knows he can ill afford to be anything but dazzling this weekend.

"I'm not saying I took Collazo or Urango lightly but with all due respect they were not big names and perhaps without realizing it I got a bit complacent," Hatton said. "But because I am fighting the guy who I am fighting, I think without realizing it I will find a bit extra. I've been walking around snarling for two weeks and I didn't have that for my last two fights."

Hatton's trainer, Billy Graham, certainly subscribes to the view that his charge's extra work will enable him to enter the ring for his biggest test in the best shape of his career. "He is faster and sharper and I am convinced this is the kind of fight that will bring out the best of both of them," Graham said. "Their styles are going to gel and I have a feeling it is going to be a really special night."

See Me Flow is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

Default Re: Hatton warns Castillo to make weight

so is he now admitting he handpicked a couple of weak beltholders? There's a contradiction in there.

also, first it was that he had a cold for Urango, now this excuse.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Theo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by you OUT...SUCKA
so is he now admitting he handpicked a couple of weak beltholders? There's a contradiction in there.

also, first it was that he had a cold for Urango, now this excuse.
anyone who knows anything about boxing , or in fact richard hatton knows that the LAST THING that his camp wanted was loui collazo...

your a hater and rarely have anything sensible to say about hatton, and before you call me a nut hugger, i happen to know that ricky is looking fine in camp, and this is a no excuses fight, i think castillo might be to good for rick, ill be very supprised if rick wins.

i will however be over the moon.

see the thing is if rick wins you will come out and say castillo was shot, or past it.

you dont catch me saying the same about oscar do you? when PBF beat oscar he gets all the props in the world no matter how old or shop worn oscar is, cause its a case of having a little respect even if you dont like the fighter in question.
Theo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
SouthLondonsFinest
SE4 BABY
ESB Jr Member

Ever anything posative some outta ur mouth mate?
SouthLondonsFinest is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Cookie
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Sounds like Hatton is just trying to wind Castillo up and play a bit of mind games. I'm sure Castillo doesn't like being reminded about his past failures and if he's struggling at all then he might try drastic measures to make sure he makes weight so that he won't lose millions of dollars.
Cookie is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #6
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthLondonsFinest
Ever anything posative some outta ur mouth mate?
YOU can ****en talk Saffro
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie
Sounds like Hatton is just trying to wind Castillo up and play a bit of mind games. I'm sure Castillo doesn't like being reminded about his past failures and if he's struggling at all then he might try drastic measures to make sure he makes weight so that he won't lose millions of dollars.
Sounds about right to me. And Hatton is exactly right too - if Castillo can't make the weight yet again, the networks will go ballistic.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain&Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by See Me Flow
LAS VEGAS - Ricky Hatton has warned Jose Luis Castillo he will walk away from their Saturday super-fight in Las Vegas if the Mexican fails to hit the 140-pound light-welterweight limit.
Castillo has been dogged by weight problems in the past, most notably when he failed to make the weight for two projected showdowns against lightweight rival Diego Corrales.

After s****ing home in what were by his own admission unimpressive performances against Luis Collazo and Juan Urango, he knows he can ill afford to be anything but dazzling this weekend.
S****ING HOME? Where does this nonsense come from?

Just to remind those with revisionist tendancies, here are the scores for his last two fights

Collazo- 115/112 115/112 114/113 Unanimous for Hatton

Urango- 119/109 119/109 119/109 Unanimous for Hatton
David UK is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David UK
S****ING HOME? Where does this nonsense come from?

Just to remind those with revisionist tendancies, here are the scores for his last two fights

Collazo- 115/112 115/112 114/113 Unanimous for Hatton

Urango- 119/109 119/109 119/109 Unanimous for Hatton
I may be crazy, but aren't you suppossed to look impressive against hand picked opponents
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain&Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bombasto
I may be crazy, but aren't you suppossed to look impressive against hand picked opponents
I'm not dealing in opinions, just plain facts. Such scores are not 's****ing home'.

Sure, he wasn't at his best against either, but you could select fights from all the great fighters which fall into that category
David UK is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict

Quote:
Amen Brother.
Guru_Too_You is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
SouthLondonsFinest
SE4 BABY
ESB Jr Member

muttley u bloody cheek
SouthLondonsFinest is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
diamondDave
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2025

I don't blame Hatton a bit. What Castillo did in the second Corrales fight was horrible and far worse than the mouthpiece spitting incident. This is a 140 title fight, you either make the weight or take a ****ing hike.
diamondDave is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #14
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
His management are not competent. Frank ****** would have go him some easy fights that would have made him look great. He is a fool for leaving Frank.

Last edited by China_hand_Joe; 06-21-2007 at 11:26 AM.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #15
hahahax
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo
anyone who knows anything about boxing , or in fact richard hatton knows that the LAST THING that his camp wanted was loui collazo...

your a hater and rarely have anything sensible to say about hatton, and before you call me a nut hugger, i happen to know that ricky is looking fine in camp, and this is a no excuses fight, i think castillo might be to good for rick, ill be very supprised if rick wins.

i will however be over the moon.

see the thing is if rick wins you will come out and say castillo was shot, or past it.

you dont catch me saying the same about oscar do you? when PBF beat oscar he gets all the props in the world no matter how old or shop worn oscar is, cause its a case of having a little respect even if you dont like the fighter in question.
youre from england, nuf said.
hahahax is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum