Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
dano1b

vCash:
Default breathing??

Im kinda new to boxing, i am confused.. When i hear some guys breath they make spit wheezes out their mouth when they punch. some guys tell you its better to breath through your nose when your punching.. which is better?

And also when your moving around like shuffling or side steping, you should be breathing some what right? i really would like to know the best times to breath..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: breathing??

My coach always says to breath through my nose but I just can't. I get too snotty and all. I think he says that so we don't get out mouth piece knocked out. I breath out when I'm punching and the rest of the time I just breath normal, certainly don't hold your breath.
amy is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
My coach always says to breath through my nose but I just can't.

No big deal with that broken nose.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
CMBoxer
Journeyman

Just breathe normally through your nose. Practice jogging with you're mouthguard on and breathe through your nose. Try and keep your mouth shut throughout the jogging. I believe doing this will help you breathe through your nose better when it comes time to spar. Also, that hissing sound in boxing is exhaling when you punch through the mouth. The mouth is still closed when exhaling. Just exhale hard and sharp.
CMBoxer is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
JMonster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

when u throw a punch, the reason y a lotta ppl exhale when doing it, is because it makes ur punches faster and more powerful, ur putting more into it and also making ur body relaxed. also, when u breathe out when getting hit it doesn't hurt as much and is less possible to get the wind knocked out of u
JMonster is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
dyolf82
HOBKS

It makes your punches faster when you make that exhaling sound... it also automatically tightens your abs just in case your throwing a punch and you are countered to the mid section

Last edited by Dr Z; 04-22-2006 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spell check
dyolf82 is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 03:52 AM   #7
average_joe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Why can't you breathe through the mouth? You get a lot more oxygen breathing through the mouth. As long as you keep your teeth shut, you should be fine right?
average_joe is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
Sagefrancis
Journeyman

Location: I dont know where I am, but I know how fast im going

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe
Why can't you breathe through the mouth? You get a lot more oxygen breathing through the mouth. As long as you keep your teeth shut, you should be fine right?
you will get more air, less oxygen however.
its a good idea to keep your teeth shut but i personally cant breath though my mouth and mouthguard with my teeth shut
Sagefrancis is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagefrancis
you will get more air, less oxygen however.
its a good idea to keep your teeth shut but i personally cant breath though my mouth and mouthguard with my teeth shut
how do u get more air but less oxygen???
Super_Fly_Sam is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 07:49 AM   #10
Sagefrancis
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Fly_Sam
how do u get more air but less oxygen???
the body is used to dealing with extreme highs and lows of oxygen.
when you breath in alot of air you will only be able to transfer a smaller proportion of oxygen to the cells, the opposite occurs when you breath less air, you will transfer a larger proportion of oxygen to where it is needed.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 AM   #11
average_joe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagefrancis
the body is used to dealing with extreme highs and lows of oxygen.
when you breath in alot of air you will only be able to transfer a smaller proportion of oxygen to the cells, the opposite occurs when you breath less air, you will transfer a larger proportion of oxygen to where it is needed.
???? That doesn;t make sense. According to you, it's better to not breathe more when running? Drawing in more air is something that practically every animal does when it exerts itself physically.

You could be misinterpreting the information here. For example, a smaller proportion of the air you breathe (let's say 50%)with a value of 1000 is still greater than a bigger proportion (90%) of air with a value of 100. More air would mean more oxygen.
average_joe is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 04:54 AM   #12
Sagefrancis
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe
???? That doesn;t make sense. According to you, it's better to not breathe more when running? Drawing in more air is something that practically every animal does when it exerts itself physically.

You could be misinterpreting the information here. For example, a smaller proportion of the air you breathe (let's say 50%)with a value of 1000 is still greater than a bigger proportion (90%) of air with a value of 100. More air would mean more oxygen.
true, youll get more oxygen from breathing in more and recieving a smaller proportion of air that breathing less and getting a higher preportion. through the nose is more economical but mouth is better in total.
to be honest i just felt like sticking my head in the conversation.
keep doing whatevers natural.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

The problem with breathing through the mouth is that it rushes too much air into the lungs then the lungs pushes it back out quickly, with that pace you dont get all the oxygen needed especially if you are exerting/boxing

when this process is repeated over and over again you are basically starving your self of oxygen at a time when it's needed the most

breathing through the nose calls for more control, and the lungs and body gets a chance to absorb the oxygen better also

if one is boxing and has mastered the art of relaxing in the ring he can breathe through the nose and not get too exhausted where he need to suck in more than his body needs

All training should be done with mouth guard in and mouth closed, after a while it be be natural
LoBlow is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing