Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Opinion: Greatest Head to Head Heavyweight ATG.

My pick...Lennox Lewis, im sure you have heard it before but i just see him dominating in head to head, he was so good at searching and destroying. Now if we are doing favorites, id go with either Iron Mike, Joe Frazier, Wlad, or Holyfield....But im just talking who i think does best in most head to head matchups with other ATGs.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Opinion: Greatest Head to Head Heavyweight ATG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentMatt
My pick...Lennox Lewis, im sure you have heard it before but i just see him dominating in head to head, he was so good at searching and destroying. Now if we are doing favorites, id go with either Iron Mike, Joe Frazier, Wlad, or Holyfield....But im just talking who i think does best in most head to head matchups with other ATGs.
bump
Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Jbuz
Belt folder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2065

Cliche perhaps, but Ali. Why? Because I'd pick him peak for peak over every heavyweight who ever lived.
Jbuz is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire_508
Cliche perhaps, but Ali. Why? Because I'd pick him peak for peak over every heavyweight who ever lived.
Of course, but there are some people who would just give Ali hell because of style matchups, with the ALi we have to work with, i would put Tyson over him..and people like Lennox Lewis or the Klits arent comparalbe to many older Heavys because you simply just dont know how they would deal with a 6'6-6'7 foot tall fighter..

(The "Ali we have to work with" means i think his prime would have been the 3 years he was in jail, so we never saw a real prime Ali.)
Old 08-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
Jbuz
Belt folder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2065

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentMatt
Of course, but there are some people who would just give Ali hell because of style matchups, with the ALi we have to work with, i would put Tyson over him..and people like Lennox Lewis or the Klits arent comparalbe to many older Heavys because you simply just dont know how they would deal with a 6'6-6'7 foot tall fighter..

(The "Ali we have to work with" means i think his prime would have been the 3 years he was in jail, so we never saw a real prime Ali.)
Well there are fighters who would give every fighter hell because of style matchups. A prime Tyson would give Lennox hell, a prime Holmes would give Lennox hell. Ali did fight a 6'6 - 6'7 fighter by the way, in the form of Ernie Terrell. Who was regarded as an excellent fighter at the time, and Ali didn't lose a round. Of course, he fought differently to Lennox/Klits, however the size factor was conquered very convincingly.
Jbuz is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire_508
Well there are fighters who would give every fighter hell because of style matchups. A prime Tyson would give Lennox hell, a prime Holmes would give Lennox hell. Ali did fight a 6'6 - 6'7 fighter by the way, in the form of Ernie Terrell. Who was regarded as an excellent fighter at the time, and Ali didn't lose a round. Of course, he fought differently to Lennox/Klits, however the size factor was conquered very convincingly.
Oh, thanks for informing me of that haha.. I agree with you on both Lennox match ups...But for the most part Lennox could chop through some people..

So could many, i just think Lennox would get thrugh more thats all, hell Tyson is prolly my favorite Heavyweight ever, and yes i think a peak Tyson(the most overrated, and underrated fighter ever) could go through people, but lets not start with Tyson cause that will change this thread completely.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

I'd pick Lenox Lewis to win any head to head prime heaveyweight match up. Tyson is #2 and Ali is #3.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity
I'd pick Lenox Lewis to win any head to head prime heaveyweight match up. Tyson is #2 and Ali is #3.
Theres my Boy ...Lennox Lewis is just awesome head to head, and if he did lose, he would probably win in a rematch..Like i said, hes not a personal favorite, i just think hes awesome head to head..

Id probably put Ali above Tyson, and Joe Louis would be further back on my list than most others probably...He was great, and ruled for a LONG ASS TIME and was awesome for his times standards..But i just think with all the improvements to the actual science of the sports with footwork and all he wouldnt be able to keep up with a few of the newer ones, but id still have him like...top 7 or 8 for head to head..somthing like that.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Lennox had the skills to the head to head best, but not the jaw. Ferocious overwhelming fighters like Tyson destroy him peak/peak because of that flaw.

Head/head though? I think I'll pick a cliche and go with Tyson, it's ridiculous how he's underrated and how common opinion states that if you didn't fold than you win, he was very dynamic at his best and could overwhelm just about any HW in history.

If Holmes didn't last 4, neither would Lewis considering the jaw. I'd also take Tyson to beat a prime Evander by a close but clear UD just on outworking him.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I pick prime Tyson head to head over anybody just because of his great balance of speed and power.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 PM   #11
King Dan
Golovkin
ESB Addict

vCash: 129

Ali
King Dan is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 PM   #12
JMotrain
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Muhammed Ali of course.
JMotrain is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #13
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Lewis. And I don't buy the glass jaw arguments. He was hit with monster shots without going down. His problem is getting lazy.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #14
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
Lewis. And I don't buy the glass jaw arguments. He was hit with monster shots without going down. His problem is getting lazy.
Lazyness isn't enough to reduce punch resistance enough to get starched by guys whom are not even on the level of top 10 ATG punchers. And on that note, how does he beat these great punchers, whom also have the proper skill to deliver it right on his jaw.

His jaw is far from china, but it sure is crackable and crackable by a murderous hitter, a prime Mike Tyson driving Lennox backwards would certainly do the trick.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #15
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

As much as I love to say Iron Mike I can't. The more I think of Tyson as a whole I begin to believe that he cannot get back into the fight once he is out. Mike never came back from the dead in fights. Once you had a mental edge it was over. In the blink of an eye.

I have no other but I'll say Ali based on his boxing ability.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum