Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #46
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Chavez-Taylor I...Round 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
He did in my book. The stoppage wasn't so bad though but I'd have probably let it go on, ready to dive in if Mel hadn't responded when the action resumed. Funny thing is though, if Meldrick had earned the nod I think all the sympathy would then lie with Chavez- and a rematch would have been imminent, probably around Sep 1990 (which Julio would have won I think).
ready to jump in if Meldrick did'nt respond when the action resumed????? Hello, the fight was actually stopped because Melrick in a blank stare, did'nt respond to a simple question repeated twice......"ARE YOU OK????"
divac is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #47
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillafan
Duva made mistakes i agree,m but ultimately its meldricks decision on what to do....he chose to stand his ground....watch the fight....even when Meldrick gets tagged and wobbled, he attachs chavez with more punches chosing to stand his ground instead of boxing more, or instead of clinching for rest....that mindset was his downfall...he shoce to try to bang and stand in front of a prime Chavez, and whoever paid his extensive hospital bills regrets it as much as Taylor!! big Mistake!
Nope, Steele should have crossed his arms and whistled, waiting for the final bell to come and hand Taylor a gift wrapped chance at the decision!

Honestly I've never heard even remotely a reasonable argument for of why Richard Steele should have let that fight continue!

People just let their heart and rooting interest get in the way of good judgement sometimes!
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #48
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyFisted
If you pause and play (pause, play, pause, play) during Steele's count you can clearly see that Taylor was out of it. Also, look at Chavez as Steele is asking if Taylor is ok....he doesnt even wait for Steele to call it before he lifts his hands in victory. The 2 people in the ring, closest to Taylor see that he is completely out of it and can not continue.
Obviously Meldrick was done.....those who argue otherwise do so with the feeling that Steele had no right to stop the fight under any circumstances after Taylor was so close to the finish line.
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #49
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
In my 30 years of watching the sport, this is one of the worst stoppages I have ever seen. I was outraged 17 years ago, and I'm still outraged. Steele was close to King, and he did him a favor again shortly after this in stopping the Tyson-Ruddock fight quickly.
Let me ask you this Zakman.....how do you feel of this past weekends Raphael Marquez-Israel Vasquez stoppage????

I'm willing to bet that theirs hoards of members here on ESB that felt that the Marquez-Vasquez fight was a good stoppage, but then unexplicably feel that a man with a blank stare and not responding to a simple question should have been left to cross the finish.
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #50
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanJew
I meant if they had had an immediate rematch. JC would have been furious and fought like a man possesed. And Taylor wouldnt have recovered enough to take another beating
The fight could have been made soon after the first fight, but Meldrick Taylor's promotional team (Main Events) did'nt want it.
They immediately jumped to Welterweight and fought Aarron Davis in hopes that at some point Chavez would move up and fight Taylor at a higher weight and not 140 lbs.

Main Events even went as far as making Pernell Whitaker quickly jump over 140 lbs and avoid having to face the Lion of Culiacan at juniorwelter!

Wise move by Main Events, particularly jumping Taylor to Welter.
It would'nt have been fair to Meldrick after the beating he took to take on Chavez again soon after.

......unfortunately for Meldrick Taylor, his team made an even worst mistake by jumping Taylor to 154 lbs and have him fight an offensive fighting machine at his very prime in Terry Norris.
Norris was just too big for Taylor, and it was imo Norris who finished the job that Chavez started in ruining Taylor for good.

After the Chavez fight, Taylor needed some much needed time off and soft touches before he got in the ring with the likes of Chavez.
The Norris fight was just absurd matchmaking by Main Events however.

Wow, they sent poor Meldrick out to slaughter when they matched him up with a much bigger Terry Norris!
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #51
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac
Let me ask you this Zakman.....how do you feel of this past weekends Raphael Marquez-Israel Vasquez stoppage????
I thought that stoppage was a bit quick, too - not as bad as this one certainly, but a tad early.

When it comes to stopping fights, I'm VERY "old school." Refs, in general, stop fights WAY too quick, and have for most of the time I've been following boxing.

In the old days, they let fights go to their natural conclusion. And it's not like ring deaths or injuries were any more common, either.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 01:10 AM   #52
lillarry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1646

Horrible stoppage. The Ref should had a feel of how much time was remaining. IMO Taylor won that fight.
lillarry is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 AM   #53
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillarry
Horrible stoppage. The Ref should had a feel of how much time was remaining. IMO Taylor won that fight.
Why should the ref be the time keeper? The ref's job in boxing is to protect the saftey of the boxers not keep track of time. Richard Stele did his job.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 02:48 AM   #54
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I thought that stoppage was a bit quick, too - not as bad as this one certainly, but a tad early.

When it comes to stopping fights, I'm VERY "old school." Refs, in general, stop fights WAY too quick, and have for most of the time I've been following boxing.

In the old days, they let fights go to their natural conclusion. And it's not like ring deaths or injuries were any more common, either.
Give us an honest answer Zakman.....if you're the referee, you'd have actually motioned the fighters to fight just after you just asked Taylor twice if he was OK and did'nt get a response???

The myth in this fight is that Steele stopped the fight with 2 seconds left, when in actuality Steele waived the fight off with about 6 or 7 ticks left on the clock.

You let the fight go on after Taylor in a blank stare has'nt responded to your questions?

Thats just so hard for me to believe that a capable, competent referee would let a fight go on when a fighter is'nt responding to commands!
It just does'nt make an sense what so ever!
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 02:58 AM   #55
smokey
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

The one problem I've had with that stoppage is that if he had let it continue, the bell would have rung before Chavez could have laid another glove on him. He was definitely incoherant, so I can't be TOO unhappy with the stoppage, though.
smokey is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #56
Pat_Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac
The fight could have been made soon after the first fight, but Meldrick Taylor's promotional team (Main Events) did'nt want it.
They immediately jumped to Welterweight and fought Aarron Davis in hopes that at some point Chavez would move up and fight Taylor at a higher weight and not 140 lbs.

Main Events even went as far as making Pernell Whitaker quickly jump over 140 lbs and avoid having to face the Lion of Culiacan at juniorwelter!

Wise move by Main Events, particularly jumping Taylor to Welter.
It would'nt have been fair to Meldrick after the beating he took to take on Chavez again soon after.

......unfortunately for Meldrick Taylor, his team made an even worst mistake by jumping Taylor to 154 lbs and have him fight an offensive fighting machine at his very prime in Terry Norris.
Norris was just too big for Taylor, and it was imo Norris who finished the job that Chavez started in ruining Taylor for good.

After the Chavez fight, Taylor needed some much needed time off and soft touches before he got in the ring with the likes of Chavez.
The Norris fight was just absurd matchmaking by Main Events however.

Wow, they sent poor Meldrick out to slaughter when they matched him up with a much bigger Terry Norris!
I agree with you there about Terry Norris, ridiculous idea by Duva and his crew. He had very little power at welterweight and wasn't exactly a big fighter there, what hope did he have at 154.

Also Meldrick Taylor is my favourite fighter but I think it should have been stopped. The rules of the sport say it should have. If the referee asks are you ok twice, and you fail to respond theres no doubt it should be over. To the people bringing up the flashing red light indicating 10 seconds left, its good that Steele was unable to see it, that shows that his attention was 100% focused on Taylor. To anyone that has been in the ring before, you'll see that you don't notice much outside the ring. You don't hear the crowd or see them, all you focus on is the man in front of you. Thats what Steele did in front of thousands of spectators. He did his job well.
Pat_Lowe is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 07:23 AM   #57
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
In my 30 years of watching the sport, this is one of the worst stoppages I have ever seen. I was outraged 17 years ago, and I'm still outraged. Steele was close to King, and he did him a favor again shortly after this in stopping the Tyson-Ruddock fight quickly.
funny guy

steele was the ref of choice in the late 80's to early 90's. and at the same time don king had signed a huge stable of fighters in the early 80's.you had chavez,tyson,tucker,norris all these guys had stoppages by steele...but it was steeles hate of a beating when anyone was on the ropes taking 4 shots un answered he was there to stop it.

i think becuase of this he was exchanged for mills lane who wanted a fight and would shout at them to fight.

just coincidence man

Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #58
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 900

I reckon Richard Steele made the right call....... it was an unlucky call for Taylor as he would have won the fight if he had been given the 2 seconds...

but.. he simply didnt respond its clear as day the Steele looked straight at Taylor and asked him if he was ok twice and Taylor didnt respond....

I also dont think the call should have been held against Steele like it was...

Steele did his job well....

That being said i dont think anything would have happened in those last 2 seconds that people would critisize Steele about for not stoppin the fight
Super_Fly_Sam is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #59
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 900

Anyone know what Chavez has to say about the fight??
Super_Fly_Sam is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #60
InHumanForm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

all i know is when i first saw the fight and saw that KD and the crowd went nuts i got goosebumps and still do.

good stoppage and go CHAVEZ!!!!!!!
InHumanForm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum