Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475
Default Let's discuss Ring Generalship

Every way we can. There's always a thread on the best punchers, the fastest hands, the toughest beards (I expect a gif here BE that's beard related): let's talk something else.

Define ring generalship. Who are boxings greatest ring generals (Red I expect you to wax poetic on Monzon)? Some underrated ring masters? Failing that post some fights where you feel excellent ring generalship was displayed. If you find yourself unable to do any of the above just post, 'Ring generalship is an intangible possessed by all great fighters.'
LittleRed is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Let's discuss Ring Generalship

i like this one a lot. ring generalship is discussed quite a bit but hardly defined.

ricardo lopez imo was a great ring general because:
1)he rarely if ever fought his opponents fight
2)he controlled the pace and distance masterfully
3)he was able to reset the fight when needed, in order to re-establish control
4)he controlled the texture of the fights cater to his OWN strengths
5)he would minimize his opponents strengths or take them away

those are aside from strict offense and defense but tells "the story" of the fight. ricardo lopez was always the author of his own fight, his opponent merely a character
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Every way we can. There's always a thread on the best punchers, the fastest hands, the toughest beards (I expect a gif here BE that's beard related): let's talk something else.

Define ring generalship. Who are boxings greatest ring generals (Red I expect you to wax poetic on Monzon)? Some underrated ring masters? Failing that post some fights where you feel excellent ring generalship was displayed. If you find yourself unable to do any of the above just post, 'Ring generalship is an intangible possessed by all great fighters.'
Yes, of course Monzon, he was a master at controlling a fight via the 15 round distance and NEVER getting ruffled or out of control, but you can also include Sal Sanchez here as well. He was another cool customer who stayed in control and seemed to dictate the tempo and events of a fight. I'll think of some others later. Great basic thread idea LR!
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I guess the best way I could describe ring generalship is simply getting your opponent to move and act the way you want him to. Make him react to what you do.

Sanchez was great at this, as was Napoles, Chavez........god, so many. Too many to name, really.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

That's a beautiful way if putting it (and i'm not sure I would define ring generalship any differently). However... The guys most mentioned in this thread will probably (and rightly) be boxers. Lopez, Monzon, Burley, Leonard, Whitaker, Gans, etc. but aren't swarmers guys who by definition control the pace and distance of the fight. Because pretty much every Henry Armstrong fights looks the same: Armstrong bobs into range and unleashes with both hands forcing every fight into a war. Do those guys lose credit because they rely so heavily on one tactic to make their fight, their fight (unlike say Whitaker who could do it backwards and forwards)? Or am I limiting the definition unnecessarily?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Ring generalship is the control of temp and range.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That's a beautiful way if putting it (and i'm not sure I would define ring generalship any differently). However... The guys most mentioned in this thread will probably (and rightly) be boxers. Lopez, Monzon, Burley, Leonard, Whitaker, Gans, etc. but aren't swarmers guys who by definition control the pace and distance of the fight. Because pretty much every Henry Armstrong fights looks the same: Armstrong bobs into range and unleashes with both hands forcing every fight into a war. Do those guys lose credit because they rely so heavily on one tactic to make their fight, their fight (unlike say Whitaker who could do it backwards and forwards)? Or am I limiting the definition unnecessarily?
No, I think it's telling that we've all (perhaps incorrectly) mentioned only boxers. Armstrong is a fantastic mention. Maybe we think of ring generalship as a thinking-man's quality, and when we think of "thinking-man's fighters" we assume he is a boxer because it's perceived that is the way an intelligent man would approach things.......hit and not be hit.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
lopez got in **** a bit by only have one way of fighting, he was just such a great ring general who could always get others to play right into his hands and fight the way he wanted them to.

you have a good point and it's similar to what duran did with leonard: he swarmed him and forced him into a short/middle distance shoot out.

frazier forced ali in the first and the third fights to battle in close, an all frazier fight. in fact the third fight was done wth frazier head almost constantly in ali's chest. ali, even at that stage, wanted distance. wanted to move and frazier took away his legs and made him fight a brawl damn good accomplishment against the greatest heavy ever
Old 11-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

An example of an underrated ring general would be Eusabio Pedroza. His well known dirty tactics were just part of the mechanics he used in steering a fight his way. He did this so well for the nearly 7 years of his reign.
Napoles and Carlos Ortiz were two other great examples, but as it's been noted alrady, there were so many others that I'm sure will be named. Eder Jofre is yet another.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Ring General is vastly underused as an insult against *******uals.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I thought that was light in the loafers.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Ring generalship is the control of temp and range.
Dammit McGrain more! Is Burley a better ring general than Holman Williams? Was Sammy Angotts spoiling better than Peps boxer? Why don't I know any Scottish people? Give me something!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Dammit McGrain more! Is Burley a better ring general than Holman Williams? Was Sammy Angotts spoiling better than Peps boxer? Why don't I know any Scottish people? Give me something!
he won didn't he
Old 11-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I thought that was light in the loafers.
still say **** in the mouth makes more sense...
Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Well I think Angotts size might have something to do with that...

Also great call on Pedroza. Guy I totally wouldn't of (you see it BE) but a great choice. Copious amounts of fouls doesn't mean he didn't know how to fight.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum