Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Joe Louis vs George Foreman. Who wins and how?
Joe Louis by K.O in rounds 1-7. 17 22.67%
Joe Louis by K.O in rounds 8-15. 24 32.00%
Joe Louis by decision. 4 5.33%
George Foreman by K.O in rounds 1-7. 27 36.00%
George Foreman by K.O in rounds 8-15. 3 4.00%
George Foreman by decision. 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #61
KTFO

vCash:
Default Re: The Brown Bomber vs Big George.

Quote:
Louis too robotic and limited. Foreman KO4 Louis

I have to change a bit:

Foreman KO2 Louis
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #62
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave krieg
Did Joe Louis knockout Ezzard Charles a naturally 160 pound man when they fought?How long did it take him to knockout Billy Conn another 160 to 170 pound man?Could Billy Conn punch at his own weight class?No seeing the fact he only had 11 knockouts in 70 wins.Was either Charles or Conn bigger than Foreman or stronger?
Why are you sourcing slick pure boxers (at heavywieght) and how they did against Louis? Men who came to run - specifically to box and run - rather than fight like Foreman would?

Quote:
The man fought losers.
For the record, you think that Louis' career(definded by victorys over more former and future champions than any other career if i'm not wrong) was carved out against "losers"? Really?

Quote:
Joe Louis wasn't quick on his feet so he couldn't outbox Foreman.
He wouldn't try.

Quote:
Louis style is to come forward and that is the same style Foreman has.
Well you clearly know nothing about Louis.

Quote:
If Louis came foward he would be knocked out quick
Why? With a shorter arc, better follow through, better combo's, quicker handspeed, more accurate punching, why, would Louis, as opposed to Foreman, be knocked out quick?

Quote:
if Louis tried to box he would be knocked out quick.
Yeah. But he wouldn't.

Quote:
You people really need to stop beating off these old time fighters acting like they were unbeatable.
Thanks. Thanks for the advice. And also for lupmping everyone who picks Louis into a group together without taking any time at all to find out about where we stand as individuals.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #63
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Foreman a wide swinging slugger vs Louis a sharp shooting strait down the pike perfect combo puncher, I think Louis takes him out before 5-6 rounds if he fights behind the jab and down the PIKE
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #64
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Joe Louis wasn't quick on his feet so he couldn't outbox Foreman.
He wouldn't try.

Now pulling an Ali then? Nah,Foreman wouldn't have Schemmling's gameplan and Louis wouldn't pull an Ali.

Oh,wait,so he counters with his quick and huge hands just like he did to Walcott. Yes,that he will do. And then he knocks big George out of his shoes. Brilliant.

Last edited by Vanboxingfan; 04-24-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #65
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFO
Now pulling an Ali then? Nah,Foreman wouldn't have Schemmling's gameplan and Louis wouldn't pull an Ali.

Oh,wait,so he counters with his quick and huge hands just like he did to Walcott. Yes,that he will do. And then he knocks big George out of his shoes. Brilliant.
Two awful and new assumptions here-

1) There are two things a boxer can do: boxer, or be Ali.

2) What happened in Louis's fights with Walcott, when he was past his prime and facing a boxer that was nothing like Foreman, is relevant.

Basically, and I mean this in the strongest sense, both of these assumptions are stupid.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 01:02 AM   #66
Street Lethal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The poll results are interesting. Proof that the majority is often wrong.
Street Lethal is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 01:46 AM   #67
NickHudson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I have little doubt that peak Louis annihilates the post-Zaire, tentative, and burst bubble Foreman. Foremans performances against Lyle and Young just did not resemble the wrecking machine who 'knew' no-one could stand up to him.

On the other hand, the pre-Zaire monster has a reasonable chance IMO (I give him a reasonable chance against anyone except prime Ali), but I wouldn't be feeling confident betting either way.

Does anyone feel Louis might be psyched by the awesome physical stats, mean attitude and raw strength of prime Foreman? If there is any psyching going on I suspect it would favour Foreman? I mean, Foreman manned up very well against Frazier who had an incredible aura and resume at that time (undefeated champ, recent brutal win over Ali etc...). Louis never had to face someone like Frazier so I guess it is hard to say how he would feel psychologically going in against Foreman.
NickHudson is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 03:03 AM   #68
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
This is the shittest post i've ever read.

No. This is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
I like you.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 03:10 AM   #69
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
So how exactly do you think Foreman can win?

It's simple. Some people fancy George to land one or two clumsy bombs against a champion a bit suspect in the chin dept. Nothing to do with strategies or technigue. Louis wasn't as easy to hit as some Pro-George's are made out, but he wasn't too difficult either. It's not rocket science, you're over-analysing statistics. Foreman will come lower than all the Top 10 if we're looking at categories- he'd come below Frazier too. Of course, breakdown the nuances of styles can lead to a definite conclusion. However, in boxing (of all sports) just being great in one category, in this case power, can overcome other fundamentals, especially when the esteemed opponents has only one (or two) weaknessess- this being a tender beard.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:13 AM   #70
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Its funny that you describe Louis as having a paper chin because he was never droped by sombody like Jimmy Young or even Muhamad Ali.

All the fighters who droped Louis were bona fide punchers.

Jim Braddock's a bonafide puncher now is he?
Foreman was downed largely due to stamina issues, we all know that. Louis was dropped by THE MONSTER HITTING Braddock in the first, when he was fresh as a daisy.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:04 AM   #71
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan
Foreman was hardly a swarmer. I'd say the more aggressive he gets against Louis, the quicker he goes.
I'd hardly say the Foreman of Frazier and Norton doesn't put on severe pressure with his size, strength and awesome power either. The man could shove strong guys around as if they were nothing.

Quote:
I'd say the more aggressive he gets against Louis, the quicker he goes. The more times he swings that right, over-extends his jab, swings that left hook with his right low or throws himself along with his rights, the more times he gives Louis an opportunity to starch him.
Foreman has one of the great chins and has a definite advantage there. Regardless of what some seem to think this would be the most dangerous opponent Joe ever fought.

Quote:
Remember people: Louis turned Foreman from an underdog against Frazier to a destroyer. It was Joe Louis who told him to use his uppercut, which Foreman had previously underused, to get the win at the Sunshine Showdown. Louis understood Foreman better than anyone else. With Jack Blackburn and the wealth of Foreman footage, he'd go in with a strategy to take advantage of every flaw in Foreman's technique. It'd be a bloody mess that would end with a helpless Foreman laying like a rag-doll on the ropes.
I still see it as 50-50. As for Joe telling Foreman to use the uppercut vs Frazier, how simple is that? Boxing 101 has told us to use uppercuts vs swarmers forever and a day. I'd hardly say this is compelling evidence Louis knew Foreman better than anyone.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #72
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Jim Braddock's a bonafide puncher now is he?
I would say so...he certainly did the damage at light-heavy,he's got an absolute shit-load of first round KO's...at heavy he's obviously not the same man but he could certainly still bang with the right.

Do you consider him light hitting?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 05:44 AM   #73
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
No. This is...
Don't be sad...I like you too.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 05:56 AM   #74
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Jim Braddock couldn't dent a milkbox at heavyweight. Not at the level we're talking about.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 06:14 AM   #75
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
It's simple. Some people fancy George to land one or two clumsy bombs against a champion a bit suspect in the chin dept.
But Louis took shots from punchers like Foreman. Somtimes he braced himself and shrugged them off. Somtimes he was knocked down and got op without taking a count.

I repeat.

THERE IS NO LOGICAL REASON TO ASUME THAT LOUIS COULD BE TAKEN OUT BY A SINGLE PUNCH FROM FOREMAN OR ANYBODY ELSE.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum