Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-09-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 900
Default Did Anyone Read 'A Tomateo Can's Life'??

... On the main page???......

I Thought it was a heaps good article thing.... nobody really gives those guys the respect they deserve... and it was a good to see them getting some sort of credit.....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Super_Fly_Sam is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 AM   #2
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Did Anyone Read 'A Tomateo Can's Life'??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Fly_Sam

I Thought it was a heaps good article thing.... nobody really gives those guys the respect they deserve... and it was a good to see them getting some sort of credit.....

yeah it was a good article - without these guys alot of the worlds best wouldn't have got the experience they needed

to walk out knowing that you have been selected as a skin coated punching bag must take some guts
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
maco_187
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

thats a really good read, thanks for that .... its true anyone that gets in the ring deserves respect, but especially these blokes that arent disillusioned and know they will never be anything more in the ring then just a punching bag but are happy to face fights in that mental state...
maco_187 is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

That's what annoys me the most about forums. People bag fighters with losing records etc, when often they are the most interesting stories/characters in the sport.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express
That's what annoys me the most about forums. People bag fighters with losing records etc, when often they are the most interesting stories/characters in the sport.

Guilty as Charged

It would be great to see a movie made about a journeyman fighter. To see the sport from a different perspective. I think it would be a box office smash to. People are tired of seeing the same old re hashed win above all odds movies. Something with real grit and emotion would be critically acclaimed provided they could pull it off right.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Some guys call fighters like Norton and Braddock journeymen...it's getting a little ****ing ridiculous now.

I agree with the original post. Great article.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #7
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

MSTR - check out Bruce the Mouse Strauss. I'm guessing he'd have something on wikipedia. They've made a movie about - never seen it, although it'd be fantastic.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:36 AM   #8
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Boxing is the hardest sport in the world...anybody that jumps into the ring has guts and you gotta respect that.
ashley is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 06:56 AM   #9
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
MSTR - check out Bruce the Mouse Strauss. I'm guessing he'd have something on wikipedia. They've made a movie about - never seen it, although it'd be fantastic.

Cheers mate will do. Will probably be hard to find thats all but I will look around on the net anyway.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Mouse Strauss... i remember seeing him on a funniest sports accidents or something like that tv show
Old 08-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #11
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Bruce Strauss (born February 6, 1952 in Younkers, NY) is a former boxer who is more known for his losses than for his wins. Sometimes he would use the alias of Ruben Bardot to obtain fights. His nickname was The Mouse.

Strauss was a boxing journeyman, title given to fighters who typically fight anyone and anywhere, often on short notice. Nevertheless, he became famous around boxing circles because of the amount of fights he lost by knockout. Officially, he lost an amount of twenty eight fights by knockout, but it has been estimated that, combined with his fights using the Ruben Bardot alias, he might have actually lost more than 150 fights by knockout. He himself has made mockery of his knockout loss number, stating that he is probably the only boxer in history that has lost by knockout in every continent. Strauss apparently does not mind mockery at his expense: In a 1990 Kayo boxing cards set, he posed while sitting on the canvas, with black make-up covering his eye, as he held on to a ring rope. This was cleary a pose and not a photo from a fight, as he looked straight into the camera when the photo to be used for the trading card was taken.

On June 1 of 1976, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Strauss debuted as a professional boxer, outpointing Gary Maiza after four rounds. His first official knockout defeat came at the hands of Mauricio Aldana, on January 10 of 1979 at Las Vegas. He also lost fights by knockout in Africa (Cameroon, South Africa), Europe (France, Germany, Italy), South America (Peru) and Oceania (Fiji). It is unclear whether he actually lost a fight by knockout in Australia or Asia under the Ruben Bardot alias.

To his credit, Strauss fought a number of top challengers and world champions in the Middleweight division, including Charlie Weir, Bobby Czyz, Eckhard Dagge, Al Ford, Billy Collins, Mike McCallum, Marlon Starling, Nino Gonzalez, Juan Jose Gimenez, David Braxton, Al Ford and Davey Hilton, among others. He also fought former world Lightweight champion Harry Arroyo, and a boxer who was also named Howard Stern.

His last official fight was a six round decision win over Terry Jesmer on November 24 of 1989 in Bismarck, North Dakota.

Strauss officially had a record of 76 wins, 53 losses and 5 draws (ties), with 54 knockout wins and 28 knockout losses. His 54 knockout wins did place him in boxing's exclusive group of fighters with 50 or more wins by knockout.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Strauss"
Old 08-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #12
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

Do ya reckon these guys like Mouse start out thinkin they will be champions.... or do they just go in thinkin they need money???
Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Moved to the General boxing forum.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Fly_Sam

I've been saying the same thing for a number of years. Those guys deserve tons of respect. Imagine going into a fight knowing the other guy is better than you, multiple times...man that takes guts.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
radab
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Resume?!?!

Retared thread of the week!

radab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum