ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Sherro interview

Subject: Q & A WITH "YOUNG" LES SHERRINGTON-AUSTRALIAN 168 LB CHAMPION
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:30:57 +0000

Q & A WITH “YOUNG” LES SHERRINGTON - AUSTRALIAN 168 LB CHAMPION

Heading a six bout bill by leading promoter Jamie Myer, Australian super middleweight champion Les Sherrington (16-4, 10 KO's) makes his second defense against Victorian veteran Sean Connell (10-10-2, 4 KO's) over ten rounds at the Southport RSL on Friday night.

23 year old Sherrington, who stands 6'0, is in his second reign, having first won the title by knocking out Arama Tabuai in two rounds in November 2005. He then lost it to Jamie Pittman (KO by 4) in March '06 and then recaptured the vacant belt after Pitman won the WBF title, in February on a technical decision over Sonni Michael Angelo, and has made one defense, a KO 1 over Sean Quagliotto. Danny Mc Grail trained “Sherro” was in action last just two weeks ago a KO 2 over Thai Yodchainoi.

Connell, 38, trained by Greg Grogan, is a former Commonwealth Games representative who has been in good company as a pro. In May he lost a 12 rounder for the WBF title in Belguim against Lansana Diallo and in his last start dropped a technical decision to S.M Angelo in June.

I caught up with “Young” Les, who was born in Townsville, North Queensland, but now lives at Broadbeach on the Gold Coast, at today's press conference. Here's what he had to say.

Tony Pritchard – Nobbs: Les, what do you expect from Connell tomorrow night?

Les Sherrington: He's a very awkward opponent, tough, plenty of experience. He's been boxing for 20 years so I'll definitely learn something, I hope to get some rounds as my last two fights haven't gone long.

TN: Who have you been sparring recently?

LS: Wayne Parr and Max Marriconte

TN: You were basically Anthony Mundine's sparring partner for his last two fights. Tell us about that experience.

LS: It was everything you could imagine. Every second I was in there with him it was great. I took so much out of it. It wasn't over whelming, I grew every session. It was the best sparring you could get. We had some great sessions, we got stuck into it some nights. He's a great fighter.

TN: There has been talk of a possible bout with Choc in the future (providing he fights again). Realistically how long until you think you could match “The Man”?

LS: 12 to 18 months. I don't want to go into just fight him. I want to go in to win. But that's a long way off yet, a lot more fights until then. He's a good bloke. I hope he can keep fighting.

TN: You suffered a few losses early days (all knockouts). What have you got out of that?

LS: I can come back. I'm a fighter. You know, I only started boxing at 18. I fought Arama in my first fight and got knocked out in one round in my home town (Townsville). Then I beat him for the Australian title, getting off the deck in the first round to do it. I got knocked out by Jamie Guy (6 rounds) then knocked him out in one round. Losing to Jamie Pittman was the best thing possible. It woke me up. I was starting to read my own press, thinking I was this and that.

TN: You are now a full time fighter, previously being a laborer working long hours and then having to train and make weight. How good is it?

LS: Awesome. Just to get up and go for a run. Have a rest through the day and train. Not feeling lethargic some days before I have to spar.

TN: There's been some talk concerning Porky Lovett, that you are afraid to fight him. Tell us your side.

LS: Mate, I fight who ever, where ever. I have a promoter, Jamie Myer. With Porky, I agreed to fight him in his home town but he pulled out three months before the date, saying he couldn't make weight. I don't really believe that was the real reason. Then he pulled out of another fight with an injury so I don't know when or even if he will ever fight again. My weight is super middleweight. I'm looking forward to some big fights in the future but I have to beat Sean tomorrow night first. I don't think it's really worrying about a fight with Porky because I doubt he'd get to the post.

TN: Thanks Les

LS: Sweet as. Anytime.

ipswich express is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sherro interview

Les has looked very good in the gym, I'm going to the fight and think Les will win inside 3 rounds
T.C.W is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Interesting read. Whats your opinion on SHerrington? Does he have the ability to do what Soliman did, and become world class after early career set backs?
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Yeah I reckon he has the potential too. Giving up work will help him, that's for sure. He definitely whacks well enough.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
westside
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think he can do what we've all seen him do. Maybe not much more.
Im not sure he has that 'extra' something (well, a lot!) to do big things.
a great talent, nonetheless.
westside is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Sherrington has definitely bounced back awesomely from his early losses.
He is a banger, but i cant see him going quite as far as a Sam Soliman.
Obviously working now as a full time boxer will help, but i cant see him breaking top 20 odd at Super Middle.
I fear another one of those Aussies too good for the local fighters, but when they step up overseas, never make the grade.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
EelsRule
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Better cut this thread. Sounds like a nuthugger. From the mouth of someone who has meet him, "Mundine is a good block"...get of his shaft for a second please, bloody hell.
EelsRule is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Someone call for an interpreter please.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express
Someone call for an interpreter please.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Sherro won every round last night. Furtherest he's gone. Connell is one tough hombre. A really nice bloke too.

Livaditis won on points in a willing affair against Hadlow. Close fight. George will now fight Israel Kani.

Gostellow boxed within himself and dispatched Jimmy Savage in the 6th and final round.

Good night of fights.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #11
westside
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express
Sherro won every round last night. Furtherest he's gone. Connell is one tough hombre. A really nice bloke too.

Livaditis won on points in a willing affair against Hadlow. Close fight. George will now fight Israel Kani.

Gostellow boxed within himself and dispatched Jimmy Savage in the 6th and final round.

Good night of fights.
thats a first.. someone actually talking about fights on here!!..

couldnt make it last night unfortunately but sounded like good matchups.
westside is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #12
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
thats a first.. someone actually talking about fights on here!!..
Yeah I thought I'd do something crazy and wild... live a little.

Nick Savadis Jnr won a points decision over Terry Lambert. It was Lambert's debut and he looked like the 6 rounds was a little long for him. Great effort though.

Copper Steve Tiernan blasted out Tom Wangsomnuk in 3 rounds, setting up a potential date with Monty Betham.

Lucas Matthew, all 42 years of age, easily accounted for Qld Amatuer champ Chris Smith, winning every round. Matthew called out Emmett Gazzard after the fight.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #13
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Sherrington Defeats Connell

10.08.07 - By Tony Nobbs: In a ten rounder that never rose to any great heights, local Les Sherrington (17-4, 10 KO's) won a unanimous shut out decision over Victorian vet Sean Connell (10-11-2, 4 KO's) at the Southport RSL on the Gold Coast, in Queensland tonight (Friday), retaining his Australian 168 lb belt.

The bout was more one sided as it progressed (after some reasonably close rounds early) with the better work rate of Les keeping Sean busy defending. He was hurt on more than a few occasions and Sherrington looked to have him going a couple of times but the cagey Connell survived and even managed to battle back.

Les lunged too much and he did get clipped occasionally as he came in. This also allowed Sean to grab on when he was in bother. This was a good work out for Les after a couple of quickies and he will learn from going the ten for the first time.

In a classy little welterweight bout North Queensland raised but Melbourne based Lance Gostellow stopped former Qld state 140 lb champ Jim Savage in the sixth. A beautiful short right dropped southpaw Jim who got up only to have the ref stop it after a follow up flurry that he did not reply to. A good stoppage. Some good exchanges with Savage showing some savvy and had Lance guessing at times.

George Livaditas won the vacant State middleweight strap with an eight round UD over hard trying William Hardcore Hadlow. A willing but untidy affair, Hadlow landing the more telling, Livaditas the more constant.

Steve Tiernan, a local detective, scored a three round knockout of Tom Wangsomnuk, a Thai based in Brisbane, cruiserweights.

Former Australian junior amateur champ Nick Svidas scored a six round UD over Tough Tery Lambert from the Queensland country town of Warwick, super middle's. At 18, Svidas looks like he could develop into a real champion, he is trained by Les Wilson, who's had success with the likes of Joe Bugner and Nathan Sting. This was Lambert's pro debut and I'd like to see him again against lesser opposition. He never stopped trying and was able to keep Nick honest.

42 years young Lucas Mathew worked along to a six round UD over another pro debutant Chris Smith, catch weight. Mathew just over super bantam, Smith just on super feather. Former Australian pro champ Mathew was to good overall as he controlled the fight at every position and dug in solid shots to the body and head in each round to take the points. Smith is a former amateur champ who showed willingness against a very seasoned foe and he could also develop. Lucas issued a challenge to Gold Coaster Emmett Gazzard, the WBF regional bantamweight champion for “any title any time."

Promoter: Jamie Myer
Old 08-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #14
maco_187
Belt holder
ESB Addict

thanks for that.....
maco_187 is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #15
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict

A good hit out of Les, He did well and won pretty easy.
T.C.W is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum