Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
joe33

vCash:
Default Lets say..........

That don king died or that tyson had stayed with his former team,and that he had trained hard for the douglas fight,what then do you think would have been his career path from there on in?
Im sure that defeat knocked the spirit out of the guy,and he probaly afterwards was never the same again,the aura of menace had kind of gone after,and though he was able at times to look great,it never lasted,or he then went and did something silly (like rape,and jail).
Do you think he would have gone on to become maybe the 2nd or third best heavy in history,maybe beating hollyfield and lewis as well,if he had not wasted all those years ****ing about with wine women and what ever else he was into?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Lex
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lets say..........

IMO, Tyson's decline was inevitable. His weakness was always his inability to sustain effort and focus. It's what cost him critical losses against Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield, and eventually what cost him his entire career, fortune and reputation. Nobody and no thing other than Mike Tyson could have prevented that, not any trainer, manager or promoter.
Lex is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 937

I bleve if Tyson stayed with the Kiven Rooney he would have had a much better carrer. There is no clear answer on what would have happened in the Douglass fight. To me there are three factors two that favor Douglas. The first is dogulas's Style was the best for fighting Tyson. Second he was dertermaned to win "he wanted it more." The third is uson's Corner dubed "Team Tyson" was one of the worse corners ever to work a boxing match.
With hat in mind if Douglas did beat Tyson I could see him making the adjustments to win back the championship. If Douglas were to have defended and lost to Holyfield Tyson who would not have gone to Indlapious. Would have gooten a shot at Holyfield or Bowe by 1992. Tyson's defence took a major step backwards when he left Rooney this also lead to his down-fall in terms of boxing. Bowe would have given him trubble but he would not have been unbeatable. I think Holyfield's "hart" would have done him in aganst the real version of Tyson at the time their first match was susposed to take place.
Personaly there is no way Tyson wouldn't have had problems, but I beleve that his decline would have hapened more slowly and probbly not as bad.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
SevenSamurai
3 year ESB vet.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Tyson was always going to self-destruct and be exploited by people.

Don King was just one of those people who exploited him, and if it wasnt for him it would have been someone else.

Tyson has a character floor, which meant he was weak and lacked focus. The only reason he became a champion was because he respected Cus and followed his orders. Once Cus was gone, Tyson was never going to sustain the same level over a long period of time because there was no one there to discipline him.
SevenSamurai is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Ultimately if everything went for Tyson he'd not lose to Douglas, not look bad against numerous opponents BUT ultimately he still loses to Holyfield and Lewis.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum