Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: 1995 Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?
BOWE 16 21.62%
LEWIS 58 78.38%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #16
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Re: 1995 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89
Conditioned thus: Eddie Futch in Bowe's corner and Bowe comes in healthy at around 235. Bowe makes Lewis look amateurish on the way to a big win with a couple of scares because of his willingness to jam.

Bowe was a perfect heavyweight specimen -big, strong, fast, with timing and rythym, and the single best skillset I have ever seen on a man over 6'4.

So there is one vote for Bowe. Mine. But Bowe bests Lewis on the most important factor -skill. He was also faster than Lewis. He had a far better chin than Lewis. And I'd rather Futch in my corner over anyone, anytime.

Best for best? Bowe. I have no doubt about it at all.
Better skillset?

Bowe had a complete lack of a straight right hand. Even journeymen had a 50% connect rate on him, what kind of skillset is that?

Bowe had great talents for someone his size but he also lacked a lot of things. It would have been interesting to see what would've happened if he fought better opposition than only Holyfield and Golota.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #17
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Better skillset?

Bowe had a complete lack of a straight right hand. Even journeymen had a 50% connect rate on him, what kind of skillset is that?

Bowe had great talents for someone his size but he also lacked a lot of things. It would have been interesting to see what would've happened if he fought better opposition than only Holyfield and Golota.
... Bowe's straight right wasn't so bad -and his overhand was serious. And when was the last time you saw a man that size throw such versatile combinations? When was the last time you saw a man that size fight inside like that? Bowe was far and away a more skillful boxer than Lewis -especially the later version. Now, I'll grant you this, he seemed to reach his true potential for about an hour -when he beat a prime Holyfield for the title. But that was an extraordinary display of offensive skill at every range, defense aptitude, speed, power, strategy, and will. Lewis always looked comparatively stiff to me.

Bowe's problem was sloth and because of that he was wasted talent. He was like a higher functioning Buster Douglas. But an inspired Bowe with Futch behind him was the most formidable giant I ever saw.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #18
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I always felt Bowe to be more versitile & alot tougher.
I take Bowe.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #19
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The mega fight that should have happened but never did. Have to say that it was the worst move of the 90s and signified the impending downfall and chaos of the heavyweight division. Really was Bowe's fault more than anything, so I have to think that Lewis was really that much of a risk that they wanted to avoid him like the plague. I think it would have been a great fight because both were very big, Bowe was much busier and hit hard with both hands, and went to the body, but Lewis with his outside sniper attack style would have landed that occasional big right. Bowe was a much better pro than amateur, and even in their amateur fight I thought Bowe was landing a lot of body shots and even slightly hurt Lewis, but that fight also showed that if Lennox landed his zinging right and hook, he could reallly hurt Bowe. Flip side though is that Bowe was ready, willing and able to continue at the time it was stopped, as he always was in the pros too. So, could have been a great fight, but will always be my #1 fight that didn't happen in the 90s.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #20
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsaresafer
Not surprised at the voting

Lewis carries a 27-2 edge in the 95 fight

Where as the 93 fight, Lewis only edges Bowe 16-14
I think those are pretty reasonable poll outcomes so far, yeah...since I had '93 as a toss-up and '95 as one-sided.

Classic Forum coming through strong again
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #21
WelshDevilRob
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1062

Lennox Lewis all the way.
WelshDevilRob is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #22
godking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Conditioned thus: Eddie Futch in Bowe's corner and Bowe comes in healthy at around 235. Bowe makes Lewis look amateurish on the way to a big win with a couple of scares because of his willingness to jam.

Bowe was a perfect heavyweight specimen -big, strong, fast, with timing and rythym, and the single best skillset I have ever seen on a man over 6'4.

So there is one vote for Bowe. Mine. But Bowe bests Lewis on the most important factor -skill. He was also faster than Lewis. He had a far better chin than Lewis. And I'd rather Futch in my corner over anyone, anytime.

Best for best? Bowe. I have no doubt about it at all.
WHAT SUPERIOR SKILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Bowe was a better infighter then Lewis thats it.

He had horrible defense a slightly above average jab and could'nt dodge a jab to save his life
godking is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #23
streetsaresafer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

bump
streetsaresafer is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #24
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by godking
WHAT SUPERIOR SKILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Bowe was a better infighter then Lewis thats it.

He had horrible defense a slightly above average jab and could'nt dodge a jab to save his life
Please. I see Bowe-Golota I & II completes your collection.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #25
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
Jeeez. A single left hook by Holyfield had Bowe looking up at the lights.
... and he got up and Ko'd Holyfield. I don't remember Lewis recovering from the blasts of two guys that no one will remember in 20 years.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #26
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
I think those are pretty reasonable poll outcomes so far, yeah...since I had '93 as a toss-up and '95 as one-sided.

Classic Forum coming through strong again
Well, I dissent. While it's a truism that Lewis must be ranked far ahead of Bowe in terms of greatness, ESB Classic's bias for Lewis is silly at times. Bowe's skills were far and away more advanced than Lewis's. Bowe could look like Ray Leonard in there -Lewis looked liked Frankenstein half the time.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #27
godking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Please. I see Bowe-Golota I & II completes your collection.
owe had HORRIBLE defense and was outjabbed by anyone who threw a jab at him even in holyfield 1 his ''masterpiece'' Every time Holy threw a jab he hit him. had Holyfield followed the fight plan instead of brawling with him he would probably have decisioned him.

The only thing exceptional Bowe had at any point in his carreer where his infighting skills.

''exceptional'' big men dont get 50 % connection rates against them by Journeymen .

There is a reason thate Bowe ducked most every puncher in a puncher heavy era.

The only big man with skill he took on raped him twice only to lose by DQ.
godking is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #28
bigWILLIAMJ

AFTER THE STRUGGLES BOWE HAD VS GOLOTA-YES I KNOW THAT WAS 1996! LEWIS WINS VERY EASILY BY A MID TO 8TH ROUND KO.LEWIS IS RIGHT UP THERE IN THE TOP 10 BEST HEAVIES OF ALL TIME. ITS TIME U GUYS IN THE U.S GAVE HIM HIS DUE RESPECT!
bigWILLIAMJ is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #29
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

I'd go along with the Lewis crowd except Lewis gets laid out too easily.
Bowe's never been stopped.
redrooster is online now  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #30
godking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigWILLIAMJ
AFTER THE STRUGGLES BOWE HAD VS GOLOTA-YES I KNOW THAT WAS 1996! LEWIS WINS VERY EASILY BY A MID TO 8TH ROUND KO.LEWIS IS RIGHT UP THERE IN THE TOP 10 BEST HEAVIES OF ALL TIME. ITS TIME U GUYS IN THE U.S GAVE HIM HIS DUE RESPECT!
Bowe is the only ''elite'' hw to get his ass kicked by Golota the other true elites of the era put Golota in his proper place.
godking is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum