Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Which is the more brutal HW fight?

The Thriller in Manilla or Andrew Golota vs Riddick Bowe II?

I think they are both brutal in their own right for contrasting reasoning.

The Thriller was 14 tough rounds, with Frazier taking brutal punishment down the stretch, with both fighters suffering from exhaustion.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Bowe Golota II saw bowe take inhuman punishment, to body, head, and groin, but also coming back with the odd right hand bomb that troubled Golota, who's face was ****ed up bad at the end.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Which is it?
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Ponysmallhorse
Small but proud
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1419
Default Re: Which is the more brutal HW fight?

Thriller.
Ponysmallhorse is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Bowe-Golata is such a great fight. Underated fight. People give Bowe shit for those fights but in terms of heart and courage and desire, he's up there in this one. I think the comparison isn't unreasonable or anything, but it's by far and away Frazier-Ali III.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Bowe-Golata is such a great fight. Underated fight. People give Bowe shit for those fights but in terms of heart and courage and desire, he's up there in this one. I think the comparison isn't unreasonable or anything, but it's by far and away Frazier-Ali III.
I agree.

I thought both Bowe/Golota fights were great. Through 4 rounds, their first encounter was an epic two way battle I felt, but then it started to become really one sided. Their rematch was clearly Golota's as well, but you had the sweeping right hand bombs landing every now and then for Bowe, and Golota was down in round 4, and hurt a few times during the fight. Their rematch is one of my favourite Heavyweight fights ever.

I think the Thriller too, but they don't come much more brutal than Golota/Bowe II.

By the way, nobody should be giving Bowe shit for those fights. He was a spent force, but he never gave in when it would have been so much easier for him to stay down. He got up, and threw leather back with some success. One of the best displays of heart and courage I've ever seen in the rematch.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What a great heavyweight fight, Golota Bowe, can't believe I've never watched it before.
Two good big men standing in range and landing big bombs, heavyweight boxing at it's best.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill View Post
I agree.

I thought both Bowe/Golota fights were great. Through 4 rounds, their first encounter was an epic two way battle I felt, but then it started to become really one sided. Their rematch was clearly Golota's as well, but you had the sweeping right hand bombs landing every now and then for Bowe, and Golota was down in round 4, and hurt a few times during the fight. Their rematch is one of my favourite Heavyweight fights ever.

I think the Thriller too, but they don't come much more brutal than Golota/Bowe II.

By the way, nobody should be giving Bowe shit for those fights. He was a spent force, but he never gave in when it would have been so much easier for him to stay down. He got up, and threw leather back with some success. One of the best displays of heart and courage I've ever seen in the rematch.
Right I agree completely. There's really no reason Bowe should've been allowed to leave his corner after about round 5 in fight 2...but every time it came close to the fight getting stopped he'd dig into his bag of tricks and blast Golota with something big enough to stop the Foul Pole in his tracks. It was blisteringly brutal on both sides for both fighters and then finally Golota was unable to match the heart of Riddick Bowe.

One of the more brutal HW fights of the modern era.
Arriba is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Bowe took punishment.

But Manilla by far.

Either man could of died if that 15th round happened.

Frazier had taken brutal punishment and was pretty much dead on his feet in the latter stages but still coming forward.

Ali obviously collapsed seconds after it was called off.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Arka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
Bowe took punishment.

But Manilla by far.

Either man could of died if that 15th round happened.

Frazier had taken brutal punishment and was pretty much dead on his feet in the latter stages but still coming forward.

Ali obviously collapsed seconds after it was called off.
it's not possible to say with certainty,but I see the reason for Ali collapsing was relief more than anything else-like a runner crossing the finish line.

The Bowe fight,on the other hand,was absolute disgrace.It could,without complaint,have been stopped in the fifith round.What's the point in winning a fight,when you end up a retard afterwards?
Arka is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
HomicideHenry
Bareknuckle Brawler
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1061

Ali-Frazier was competitive, though.

Bowe-Golota II was a massacre, I thought, with Bowe being essentially done and Golota hammering away
HomicideHenry is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #10
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Bowe-Golata easy. My nuts hurt, even thinking about Golata-Bowe. OOOUUCH!!!!
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomicideHenry View Post
Ali-Frazier was competitive, though.

Bowe-Golota II was a massacre, I thought, with Bowe being essentially done and Golota hammering away
I just think this is a myth.

How was their rematch not competitive? When Bowe landed, he usually hurt Golota and almost had him out of there in round 4. Had him down, and when he got back up, blasted him with a few right hands, and one notably brutal uppercut that Golota took unbelievable well. Golota was winning the fight, hands down, but it was competitive. Bowe come back with a series of right hand bombs in round 8, I think, and then landed a flush right hand on the chiun of Golota in the 9th which had Andrew pedaling backwards.

Bowe vs Golota II was a fight with a clear winner, but the fight ceased being just a massacre and started becoming a great fight once Bowe showed the heart to throw punches back.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #12
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Bowe vs Galota was certainly an epic. Great courage both fighters, and in particularly Bowe, he was out to it on the ropes a few times and chose to soldier on.

Ironically both fighters had punched themselves out almost equally still japanewith rounds to go. Neither could put a hole in a rice pudding by the end.

Galota eventually cracked and took the easy way out - a kamikaze DQ IMO - chose not to go into the final round.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
tommy the hat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The Thrilla in Manila was IMO. Not only did the fighters have to endure brutal punishment from each other in a rubber match, but they had to do it in oppressive heat and humidity that topped 100 degrees.
tommy the hat is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill View Post
I just think this is a myth.

How was their rematch not competitive? When Bowe landed, he usually hurt Golota and almost had him out of there in round 4. Had him down, and when he got back up, blasted him with a few right hands, and one notably brutal uppercut that Golota took unbelievable well. Golota was winning the fight, hands down, but it was competitive. Bowe come back with a series of right hand bombs in round 8, I think, and then landed a flush right hand on the chiun of Golota in the 9th which had Andrew pedaling backwards.

Bowe vs Golota II was a fight with a clear winner, but the fight ceased being just a massacre and started becoming a great fight once Bowe showed the heart to throw punches back.
It wasn't competitive in the sense that where as Golota was being stunned, Bowe was being hit so frequently that he was literally being beaten retarded. He wasn't getting rocked, he was getting brain damage.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 AM   #15
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Golota was a wasted talent. Million Dollar Body, 10 cent Brain.
Seamus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum