Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #1
GGGIsABum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Default Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Even when he loses, he wins.

Bernard Hopkins has got to be the finest example of a polished pugilist that this and the last era has ever seen.
He's been the Undisputed MW champion and defended his MW title for over 20 defenses.
His defensive skills are such a wonder that in over 60 fights he has never taken any serious sustained physical abuse.

Out of the ring, he is a truth speaking gentleman, a devoted family man, an highly successful and accomplished businessman, a key GBP Vice President & partner, and an integral part of the sport of boxing. Oscar De La Hoya must be given credit for realizing Bernard Hopkins's potential to providing an important role in making GBP the boxing Powerhouse it is today.

Who knows what future awaits Hopkins when he retires. Becoming more active in Promoting, or perhaps becoming a old school trainer for young up and coming boxers.
Whatever it is, I can easily see Bernard Hopkins becoming a monument to the endeavor.
GGGIsABum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM   #2
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: KY
Posts: 12,532
vCash: 1356
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

SSG......why did you change your username.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #3
GGGIsABum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownfightfan View Post
SSG......why did you change your username.
Who?
Do I resemble this person?
Check out my Sig.









GGG Is A Bum!
GGGIsABum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM   #4
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,419
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGIsABum View Post
Even when he loses, he wins.

Bernard Hopkins has got to be the finest example of a polished pugilist that this and the last era has ever seen.
He's been the Undisputed MW champion and defended his MW title for over 20 defenses.
His defensive skills are such a wonder that in over 60 fights he has never taken any serious sustained physical abuse.

Out of the ring, he is a truth speaking gentleman, a devoted family man, an highly successful and accomplished businessman, a key GBP Vice President & partner, and an integral part of the sport of boxing. Oscar De La Hoya must be given credit for realizing Bernard Hopkins's potential to providing an important role in making GBP the boxing Powerhouse it is today.

Who knows what future awaits Hopkins when he retires. Becoming more active in Promoting, or perhaps becoming a old school trainer for young up and coming boxers.
Whatever it is, I can easily see Bernard Hopkins becoming a monument to the endeavor.

2 era's what era's are we talking here ? I mean I wouldn't rate him over Toney at any era
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM   #5
GGGIsABum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
2 era's what era's are we talking here ? I mean I wouldn't rate him over Toney at any era
Toney's my boy!
He had some of the best skills in the era, plus he sold the fight with entertaining verbals.
BUT, Toney took a lot of shots in his career. His training isn't and was never anything as dedicated as Hopkins.

If Toney didn't have such poor training habits I doubt he would have been forced to move to HW so quickly and having to take so many of those HW shots.

I have Hopkins ahead of Toney in defensive skills as well as offense.
GGGIsABum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #6
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,419
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGIsABum View Post
Toney's my boy!
He had some of the best skills in the era, plus he sold the fight with entertaining verbals.
BUT, Toney took a lot of shots in his career. His training isn't and was never anything as dedicated as Hopkins.

If Toney didn't have such poor training habits I doubt he would have been forced to move to HW so quickly and having to take so many of those HW shots.

I have Hopkins ahead of Toney in defensive skills as well as offense.

He took allot of shot because he took on great fighters .. I judge these guys based on opposition..When faced against the best guys Hopkins fell short ..It's easy to look like a defensive wizard against 1 dimensional guys like Pavlik.


Toney technically was a better all around fighter that could bang ..Hopkins for his longevity and great work ethic wasn't that much of a banger and his fights were just horrible grapple fests at time.
Imperial1 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #7
CST80
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,143
vCash: 426
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGIsABum View Post
Who?
Do I resemble this person?
Check out my Sig.









GGG Is A Bum!
Hi SweetSciGuru
CST80 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #8
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,426
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Not over Toney, not over Whitaker, not over Chavez, Sr.… Maybe not even over Ricardo Lopez.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #9
GGGIsABum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Not over Toney, not over Whitaker, not over Chavez, Sr. Maybe not even over Ricardo Lopez.
I have Hopkins ahead of all of them except Chavez.
GGGIsABum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #10
Hammer Hands
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 61
vCash: 3777
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

He got his ass handed to him his very first fight, then Jones whooped him, then he had a pretty good run until Taylor beat him. After that, Dawson beat him, and then Calzaghe kicked his azz. There were a few other loses and wins but they are too boring to ever mention, and it all ends with Kovalev destroying him. This last loss will be due to old age, not because Kovalev is all that great.
That's Hopkins in a nutshell, not the greatest of any era, but very decent and the best longevity.
Hammer Hands is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #11
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,426
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGIsABum View Post
I have Hopkins ahead of all of them except Chavez.
I'm sorry that observation of the sport has led you to such conclusions.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #12
GGGIsABum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I'm sorry that observation of the sport has led you to such conclusions.
No need to be sorry.

Personally I don't credit Toney so much for his HW career. Althoough he was competitive with the opponents he meet, Toney was clearly not the same fighter at that weight and his training habits just made it worst. He could get away with that at MW and LHW, but at HW it really took it's toll. I'm just happy he didn't meet a prime Tyson or Lewis at HW and take a lot more punishment.
Although Toney had some really nice wins like Toney-Nunn, At MW, Hopkins outshines Toney,
GGGIsABum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #13
GGGIsABum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Hands View Post
He got his ass handed to him his very first fight, then Jones whooped him, then he had a pretty good run until Taylor beat him. After that, Dawson beat him, and then Calzaghe kicked his azz. There were a few other loses and wins but they are too boring to ever mention, and it all ends with Kovalev destroying him. This last loss will be due to old age, not because Kovalev is all that great.
That's Hopkins in a nutshell, not the greatest of any era, but very decent and the best longevity.
Thanks for posting, but your analysis has less substance than my little sister can provide.
Keep trying though.
GGGIsABum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #14
lefthandlead
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,479
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGIsABum View Post
Even when he loses, he wins.

Bernard Hopkins has got to be the finest example of a polished pugilist that this and the last era has ever seen.
He's been the Undisputed MW champion and defended his MW title for over 20 defenses.
His defensive skills are such a wonder that in over 60 fights he has never taken any serious sustained physical abuse.

Out of the ring, he is a truth speaking gentleman, a devoted family man, an highly successful and accomplished businessman, a key GBP Vice President & partner, and an integral part of the sport of boxing. Oscar De La Hoya must be given credit for realizing Bernard Hopkins's potential to providing an important role in making GBP the boxing Powerhouse it is today.

Who knows what future awaits Hopkins when he retires. Becoming more active in Promoting, or perhaps becoming a old school trainer for young up and coming boxers.
Whatever it is, I can easily see Bernard Hopkins becoming a monument to the endeavor.

You must of forget the Calzaghe and Dawson fight. Faking is not ring generalship.
lefthandlead is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM   #15
attaboi
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,103
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Bernard Hopkins Simply The Best Ring Technician Of 2 Era's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Not over Toney, not over Whitaker, not over Chavez, Sr. Maybe not even over Ricardo Lopez.
Chavez Sr?
Get the fock out here. And, don't even get me started with Lopez.
attaboi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013