Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-11-2007, 02:21 AM   #16
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372
Default Re: tell me which tyson fight after prison he looked good??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe
He never really looked like he was in his prime, but IMO in the second Holyfield fight he fought at close to 90% of his potential in his prime. He was kind of tentative in rounds 1 and 2, but when he got pissed off in round 3 we saw some ferocious flashbacks of prime Tyson back in that ring...Holyfield fought him well, but imo lost the third round (fouls aside).
Tyson stunned Holyfield in that third round as well, caught him with a powerful hook and Holyfield froze. Sadly, Tyson not being the same way he was in his prime didn't jump on him and finish it quick, he just stood there clueless for like 2 seconds then threw a few more. I'm still pissed as hell for the biting incident because even if Tyson would've lose that rematch it was clearly going to be way closer than the first time, that third round actually made me think that Tyson does have a chance to stop Holyfield, but then the biting happened and the rest is history.
Scar is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2007, 02:54 AM   #17
PATSYS
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Tyson looked absolutely good against Mcneely, Mathis, Bruno and Seldon and in the opening seconds against Holyfield.

No doubt in my mind that Tyson was in his prime circa 1995-96.
PATSYS is online now  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 02:57 AM   #18
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATSYS
Tyson looked absolutely good against Mcneely, Mathis, Bruno and Seldon and in the opening seconds against Holyfield.

No doubt in my mind that Tyson was in his prime circa 1995-96.
man, you are so lewis-centric...you say a lot of things just to heighten up lewis

getting backed up by mcneeley? looked horrible (he let him do it though) not to mention that mcneeley is so bad there is no credibility
hobgoblin is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 03:19 AM   #19
PATSYS
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgoblin
man, you are so lewis-centric...you say a lot of things just to heighten up lewis

getting backed up by mcneeley? looked horrible (he let him do it though) not to mention that mcneeley is so bad there is no credibility

All you Tyson fans are pathetically funny.

Mcneely may not be so good but Tyson was so quick and powerful in there. So what if he was being backed up by Mcneely? Tyson has backed up by fighters all his career (Holyfield, Botha, and even Norris).

I don't know how old are you now but back in 95-96 (pre Holyfield), Tyson was perceived to be on his indestructible form. Pre-Mcneely, there was a question about if he is still good, but after Mcneely, majority of the experts thought Tyson is the man to beat.

There are of course some minority who always question Tyson's opposition - they have always been there since the start of his career.

Just before the 1st Holyfield fight, everybody was fearing for Holyfield's life in the ring,

It is only when Holyfield beat Tyson that everybody started to look retrospectively and make excuses for Tyson e.g. he doesn't have head movement, blah, blah, blah

Stop with the excuses already. Tyson was only 30 years then and looked as fast and as powerful as he was ever been.

HE WAS A HIS DAMN PRIME!!!
PATSYS is online now  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 03:21 AM   #20
dlogvine
headhunter

Look, every time he fought against somebody better than Savarese or McNeely, whe got his ass whooped. All his quick KO fights after he got out of jail were against nonames. He is a done and gone Rusty Mike. And man isnt the tembre of his voice irritating?
dlogvine is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #21
justaboxingfan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuel_augustus
None. Tyson was ruined by Douglas.
Maybe, but I think King was the man who helped orchestrate his down fall. Douglas was just an effect to the cause
justaboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 05:56 AM   #22
ChampionsForever
ESB VIP
ESB Addict

Tyson was an 80's fighter, just like Evander was a 90's fighter. He was never the same after Douglas beat him and even he acknowledges that, hes a top 10 ATG if you ask me, in hes day he had everything.
ChampionsForever is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #23
southpaw1974
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgoblin
Bruno was extremely scared - he was like a piece of meat being fed to a shark. Of course Tyson's timing is going to look good when he doesn't really have to time at all but just decide WHEN he feels like punching a frozen deer. Bruno was meant to make Tyson look good considering how scared he was before the fight. Don't mean to be negative but that's how I see it. His best outings as I said earlier were against Holy & Golota where he looked explosive.
95% of his opponents were scared shitless of him!! The fight that most experts consider him to have been at his absolute peak was against Spinks, and what opponent was more scared of Tyson than him? I don't think you should diminish his performance against Bruno in their second fight based on that. Look at how he fought, and tell me he didn't do everything great?
southpaw1974 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #24
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Post-prison, I would put forward Bruno II, Francis, Savarese, and Golota where he looked good, in terms of his aggression, movement, workrate and so on.

He looked good with his ability to evade shots and counterpunch against Bruno II and Golota, Savarese was a good burst of the old furious aggression, and against Francis he showed good body punching and angles.

He also looked good in parts of Holyfield I, Holyfield II (3rd round, ironic that), and rounds 1 against Nielsen and Williams where he was able to blast away with both hands.

The McNeeley fight is nothing, and it would've been unheard of in Tyson's pomp to see a guy like Peter rush at him and swing (even land a couple) of wild blows. Mathis Jr made him look quite bad in there until he fell to a neat right hand. Seldon folded from the first punch. Botha fight was awful though at least the finish was a classic. Norris was nothing, Nielsen was just a punching bag. Etienne had a good-looking KD but in my eyes a totally bogus KO, and Etienne's bullrushing and bundling Mike to the floor didn't make it look a good fight before that either. McBride fight was just horrible.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #25
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Golota
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #26
pryorgatti
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bruno II. Holyfield I
pryorgatti is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #27
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

TYSON looked good in the first five rounds vs Holyfield. He landed some lovely punches. Heres a link:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The first punch of the fight was great
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #28
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
Golota
The best cos he won. Golota was the best fighter he beat after coming out of jail

what a waste the pole was.

Lewis would of strugled with the tyson of that fight. I can see why people really fancied him to beat lennox
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #29
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATSYS

Stop with the excuses already. Tyson was only 30 years then and looked as fast and as powerful as he was ever been.

HE WAS A HIS DAMN PRIME!!!
If a world class fighter is away from the sport for 4 years, and unable to train in boxing gyms, then he most likely isn't ever gonna be the same. There's a sense of accuracy and TIMING that you can't ever recover. Guys much greater than Tyson who took hiatuses around that age and for that long were never the same, and even they could train in boxing gyms.

People thought Holyfield was shot in 1996 after all the tough fights and how he looked in his previous 2 fights, so he was a huge underdog. But really, both guys had seen better days.

Holyfield actually probably peaked at cruiserweight in the late 80s.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #30
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Before he bit the ear in the Holyfield rematch. Tyson had a lot more head movement than in the first Holyfield fight, and was in visibly better physical shape.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum