Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: 1993 Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?
BOWE 15 40.54%
LEWIS 22 59.46%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
streetsaresafer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 114
vCash: 1000
Default 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Thought I'd give the classic forum a shot at this as well.

Biggest heavyweight fight that didn't happen (outside of a Holmes/Foreman clash in the late 70s) is clearly a Bowe/Lewis clash in 1993

So who wins this fight?

Yes I know that Rock Newman and Bowe 'ducked' Lewis and decided instead to go on a world tour to maximize Bowe financially and take low risk fights. And I know that Lewis beat Bowe in the amateurs - although this should count for very little because Henry Tillman beat Mike Tyson in the amateurs and then was destroyed when they fought professionally. But let us assume this fight goes off as it was supposed to after the Lewis/Ruddock, Bowe/Holy I fights.

Remember Bowe was in his prime at this point coming off the best win of his career. Bowe was still top notch in 93 - he crushed Dokes and Ferguson and lost a close fight with Holyfield in their 2nd bout. So while some say Bowe was only prime for one fight, I think he was still easily in his prime in 93. I don't think Bowe had faded significantly until 96 with the Golota fights.

Lewis was a top notch contender in 93, but he had not hit his prime yet. He beat Tony Tucker by decision but his performance was not one of his more impressive ones. Against Bruno, he had to come from behind to win. So while Lewis was one of the best in the world, he had not hit his prime yet.

Prediction - Bowe UD - 115-113, 115-114, 115-113

I think Bowe in 93 wins a close decision against the not yet prime Lewis.

Bowe was one of the best infighters ever, especially considering his size. Bowe had a strong jab, threw good combinations, and could through some enormous uppercuts (see Holy I-Rd 10). Bowe also had a strong chin as well.

Lewis was really good in 93, but I don't think he had enough to outpoint a prime Bowe at this point. Yes he had the most powerful punch of the 2 - Lewis's right hand. Yes he destroyed Rudduck. Yes he beat Bowe in the amateurs.

But the Lewis of 93 had 3 things missing from a prime Lewis
1. Emanuel Steward
2. Jab was not great yet - he pawed with it too much
3. Defense was not as tight as it was with Steward - see
Oliver Mccall in 94.

So I like Bowe in 93 in a great fight - in what would have been the best big man fight ever.
streetsaresafer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tavistock, England
Posts: 7,150
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Can't argue that Bowe was the superior technical boxer at this point in time. He'd also be in top shape, or at the very worst close to it.

Yet he'll still have the same problems as with facing any version of Lewis. A big question over his confidence and mentality, and the same weak defense. The Olympic Final is no solid ground for a fight some 5 years later, but you could almost see it in microcosm - Bowe the better boxer, but unable to stop Lewis from finding a home for his big shots.

If Bowe could get shaken to his boots and floored by Holyfield, wobbled into the ropes by Biggs, and get his bell rung by Hide (although he was the one genuine puncher he faced), then Lewis would at minimum have that puncher's chance. Bowe worked best on the inside but he'll be fighting someone that does not need to linger on the inside due to his height and reach.

Toss-up, for me, technique against raw power. Would've been a great fight, I totally agree with you.

Shame Bowe didn't feel like it, eh?
In the short-term it hurt Lewis, in the long-term it was Bowe that it really hurt.
DamonD is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Jose FM
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wash-Heights, NYC
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsaresafer
Thought I'd give the classic forum a shot at this as well.

Biggest heavyweight fight that didn't happen (outside of a Holmes/Foreman clash in the late 70s) is clearly a Bowe/Lewis clash in 1993

So who wins this fight?

Yes I know that Rock Newman and Bowe 'ducked' Lewis and decided instead to go on a world tour to maximize Bowe financially and take low risk fights. And I know that Lewis beat Bowe in the amateurs - although this should count for very little because Henry Tillman beat Mike Tyson in the amateurs and then was destroyed when they fought professionally. But let us assume this fight goes off as it was supposed to after the Lewis/Ruddock, Bowe/Holy I fights.

Remember Bowe was in his prime at this point coming off the best win of his career. Bowe was still top notch in 93 - he crushed Dokes and Ferguson and lost a close fight with Holyfield in their 2nd bout. So while some say Bowe was only prime for one fight, I think he was still easily in his prime in 93. I don't think Bowe had faded significantly until 96 with the Golota fights.

Lewis was a top notch contender in 93, but he had not hit his prime yet. He beat Tony Tucker by decision but his performance was not one of his more impressive ones. Against Bruno, he had to come from behind to win. So while Lewis was one of the best in the world, he had not hit his prime yet.

Prediction - Bowe UD - 115-113, 115-114, 115-113

I think Bowe in 93 wins a close decision against the not yet prime Lewis.

Bowe was one of the best infighters ever, especially considering his size. Bowe had a strong jab, threw good combinations, and could through some enormous uppercuts (see Holy I-Rd 10). Bowe also had a strong chin as well.

Lewis was really good in 93, but I don't think he had enough to outpoint a prime Bowe at this point. Yes he had the most powerful punch of the 2 - Lewis's right hand. Yes he destroyed Rudduck. Yes he beat Bowe in the amateurs.

But the Lewis of 93 had 3 things missing from a prime Lewis
1. Emanuel Steward
2. Jab was not great yet - he pawed with it too much
3. Defense was not as tight as it was with Steward - see
Oliver Mccall in 94.

So I like Bowe in 93 in a great fight - in what would have been the best big man fight ever.
Good assessment.
Jose FM is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,854
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Bowe wins, late round stoppage or close decison.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 2,821
vCash: 1230
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Bowe takes a clear UD.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,095
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Bowe kicks his ass
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
anut
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,369
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

bowe would have fuked him up bad back then.....lewis looked horrid against frank bruno in 93.......i think bowe would have knocked him out.....
anut is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:25 AM   #8
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,090
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
Bowe kicks his ass
Is that before or after he throws the belt in the bin?

Lewis always had the wood on Chicken Bowe, from the time he stopped him in the games. He would have beaten Bowe at any time ever after that, tho the chance of Bowe getting in the ring are questionable.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:37 AM   #9
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tavistock, England
Posts: 7,150
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

11-11 at the moment...I thought it'd be a toss-up!

A fight for the Undisputed HW Championship, two unbeaten boxers, an uncertain result, bad blood, repeat of an Olympic Final, up to $32m on the table from HBO...you've got to be a particularly blinkered individual to not think this fight would've made perfect sense and done big big business.
DamonD is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 764
vCash: 800
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Is that before or after he throws the belt in the bin?

Lewis always had the wood on Chicken Bowe, from the time he stopped him in the games. He would have beaten Bowe at any time ever after that, tho the chance of Bowe getting in the ring are questionable.
Christ JT, it didn't take you long to revert back to the babe avatars.

On topic, I think Lewis will always beat Bowe.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:05 AM   #11
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,090
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Christ JT, it didn't take you long to revert back to the babe avatars.

On topic, I think Lewis will always beat Bowe.
Hahaha, she won on tour just the other day, killing taunts she was the Anna Kournikova of golf You should see the full fukking version of this pic!
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #12
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Manchester England
Posts: 558
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsaresafer
Thought I'd give the classic forum a shot at this as well.

Biggest heavyweight fight that didn't happen (outside of a Holmes/Foreman clash in the late 70s) is clearly a Bowe/Lewis clash in 1993

So who wins this fight?

Yes I know that Rock Newman and Bowe 'ducked' Lewis and decided instead to go on a world tour to maximize Bowe financially and take low risk fights. And I know that Lewis beat Bowe in the amateurs - although this should count for very little because Henry Tillman beat Mike Tyson in the amateurs and then was destroyed when they fought professionally. But let us assume this fight goes off as it was supposed to after the Lewis/Ruddock, Bowe/Holy I fights.

Remember Bowe was in his prime at this point coming off the best win of his career. Bowe was still top notch in 93 - he crushed Dokes and Ferguson and lost a close fight with Holyfield in their 2nd bout. So while some say Bowe was only prime for one fight, I think he was still easily in his prime in 93. I don't think Bowe had faded significantly until 96 with the Golota fights.

Lewis was a top notch contender in 93, but he had not hit his prime yet. He beat Tony Tucker by decision but his performance was not one of his more impressive ones. Against Bruno, he had to come from behind to win. So while Lewis was one of the best in the world, he had not hit his prime yet.

Prediction - Bowe UD - 115-113, 115-114, 115-113

I think Bowe in 93 wins a close decision against the not yet prime Lewis.

Bowe was one of the best infighters ever, especially considering his size. Bowe had a strong jab, threw good combinations, and could through some enormous uppercuts (see Holy I-Rd 10). Bowe also had a strong chin as well.

Lewis was really good in 93, but I don't think he had enough to outpoint a prime Bowe at this point. Yes he had the most powerful punch of the 2 - Lewis's right hand. Yes he destroyed Rudduck. Yes he beat Bowe in the amateurs.

But the Lewis of 93 had 3 things missing from a prime Lewis
1. Emanuel Steward
2. Jab was not great yet - he pawed with it too much
3. Defense was not as tight as it was with Steward - see
Oliver Mccall in 94.

So I like Bowe in 93 in a great fight - in what would have been the best big man fight ever.
If you took the Bowe from the night he beat Holyfiled the 1st time in 1992 and put in against Lewis (I can't decide when Lewis was in his prime but he was relatively consistent throughout his career). Then I think you would find that Bowe would win.

I know I'm probably in the minority with this view but I do think that Bowe was underrated in terms of his skills at his peak. I fully agree with you streets in terms of Bowes infighting ability, you would be very hard pushed to find a better infighter than Bowe. Infact overall he was very gifted in the skills department, he had all the tools to be an ATG but lacked dedication and IMO had some big charachter flaws. However, the shape he was in during the first Holyfield fight, and the heart he showed that night he would be extremley difficult for any heavyweight to beat.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
Balboa
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anut
bowe would have fuked him up bad back then.....lewis looked horrid against frank bruno in 93.......i think bowe would have knocked him out.....
I think you underate big Frank. The guy had a great jab and big shots to unload but Lewis pulled out the win. Having said this I don't think Lewis has more than 50% chance. I think this woulda been a classic. Shame
Balboa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,632
vCash: 238
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Great fight for sure. I would slightly favor Lewis.

One essential point is that Lewis developed his uppercut really well under the guidance of Emmanuel Steward. He used it very well against big men like Vitali Klitschko and Michael Grant. He'd need it against Bowe since Bowe likes infighting.

In 1993, Lewis did not have a that good uppercut yet. His straight right hand was also less good. It was more of a looping-overhand right which he threw most of the time. He did knock out Bowe with that in the Olympics though, and Bowe always seemed open to straight shots. In fact he was open to all punches, his defense was certainly his weakness.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 1993 - Bowe/Lewis - Who Wins?

Lewis had betetr defense and a straighter right hand, Bowe has a punchers chance
dmt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013