Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-11-2007, 03:15 AM   #16
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pictures of Gerald Mclellan...

This thread is probably headed for the lounge, but I think as much as what G-Man did was deplorable, his injury prevented him from having the chance to change as he matured. Maybe he wouldn't have, but if nothing else, you should be sad about the situation for his sister's sake.

I have that fight on my computer and watch it occasionally. It's the very best and the very worst of what happens in boxing.

I'll go to my grave believing McClellan was too good for Benn, and despite a brain condition that he probably carried into the fight, he still almost KO'd Benn late. Not questioning Benn's heart at all, but I do think he was overmatched against a healthy G-Man.
Lampley is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2007, 03:18 AM   #17
Mistadobalina
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

BORKED

a beast in his hey day.
Mistadobalina is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 04:19 AM   #18
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru

vCash: 1644

I don't believe one word about that dog fighting shit.

There's no pictures, video, statement from anyone who saw it, police reports.... NOTHING.

Who said he did that shit??? and Where's there proof???
CASH_718 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 04:33 AM   #19
bigG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

best fight iv ever seen....ultimately tragic.....and i think benn just had too much for the g-man....too much game, too much heart, too much will to win.....gerald couldnt keep him down......benn prophetically, and shockingly accurately said before the fight, sure he's gonna knock me down, but i'l get up....when i knock him down, he aint gettin up.....iv had more knock outs than he's had fights, and i'm supposed to be scared of him???......sad, sad outcome, but, sadly, thats what can happen in this savagely brutal dance that we love....
bigG is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 04:46 AM   #20
Fallow
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampley
This thread is probably headed for the lounge, but I think as much as what G-Man did was deplorable, his injury prevented him from having the chance to change as he matured. Maybe he wouldn't have, but if nothing else, you should be sad about the situation for his sister's sake.

I have that fight on my computer and watch it occasionally. It's the very best and the very worst of what happens in boxing.

I'll go to my grave believing McClellan was too good for Benn, and despite a brain condition that he probably carried into the fight, he still almost KO'd Benn late. Not questioning Benn's heart at all, but I do think he was overmatched against a healthy G-Man.
He did not bring any brain condition into the fight.

Benn had always been a reasonably heavy handed fighter and hit McClellan with a lot of punches that night. G-Man was the one who was overmatched, the guy had only fought deep on a few occasions going into a fight against a man who was the very personification of all things TOUGH.
Fallow is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 04:52 AM   #21
Sai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH_718
I don't believe one word about that dog fighting shit.

There's no pictures, video, statement from anyone who saw it, police reports.... NOTHING.

Who said he did that shit??? and Where's there proof???
His own coach. It was reported extensively in the British press. It absolutely happened.
Sai is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 04:54 AM   #22
Sai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 110

Heres a link. For the record the paper is probably about the most credible of any UK newspaper. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Sai is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #23
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai
Heres a link. For the record the paper is probably about the most credible of any UK newspaper. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
After reading that article its hard to feel sorry for McClellen.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #24
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

vCash: 224

great fighter, but him and his team ultimately made their biggest mistake by underestimating benn and thinking that the g man would just walk through him, like nigel said after the bout 'they just bought him over here to bash me up'. benn's spirit and power that night were off the chart.
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #25
Fat Tony
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Today, British refs tend to stop fights earlier than refs of other nationalities. Do you think it has anything to do with Mclellan's fate?
Fat Tony is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #26
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
McClellan was giving him an asswhooping the whole fight and if not for McClellan's condition Benn would've definitely lost, maybe early if the goddamn ref didn't ruin everything. Many think it should've been ruled a first round KO.
Only stupid people who don't know the rules of boxing. If your knocked out the ring your technically aloud 20seconds recovery

McCellans condition was caused by BEnns punches
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #27
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallow
He did not bring any brain condition into the fight.

Benn had always been a reasonably heavy handed fighter and hit McClellan with a lot of punches that night. G-Man was the one who was overmatched, the guy had only fought deep on a few occasions going into a fight against a man who was the very personification of all things TOUGH.
McClellan starts showing visible signs of distress early in the fight. We'll never know -- and your smiley face doesn't qualify as proof -- to what extent the condition was there before the fight and what Benn's punches did to start the final meltdown.

What we do know is that Benn was fortunate to survive the first round, and in fact he was nearly out on his feet toward the end of the fight. His legs were totally gone. McClellen, laboring to breathe at all by the 8th round, puts Benn down again but didn't have enough gas in the tank to finish the job.

Without a blood clot working against him, he'd have either stopped Benn earlier, and almost definitely would have put him out before the end of 12.

I know British fans want to romanticize that fight and Benn's heart was incredible, but let's not forget that he beat a guy who was severely handicapped. That's not Nigel's fault, but at 168 he wouldn't have beaten a healthy G-Man.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #28
yesihavearm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Gerald was one of the hardest punchers ever at the weight.

He was RJJ's sparring partner, and after the incident, certain people close to RJJ have said that he's never really truly pressed for a knockout.

Oh yeah, Gerald beat RJJ in the amateurs - go look it up. He certainly would have been one of the best ever at the weight.

Oh and for people saying he deserves that for whatever he did to dogs can go to hell. Even if he did what the rumours say thats no grounds for him deserving brain damage, its not like there was people in those cages. ****ing hate all this animals equal humans shit. You dont say to someone who's eaten a Mcdonalds that they deserve brain damage cuz they've in theory participated in killing a cow ? Sort it out.
yesihavearm is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #29
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

McClellan is overrated as a puncher. His technique was very sloppy - look at his sloppy punches against Nigel Benn. He had him down on the ropes and couldn't finish up - reminded me of a sloppy George Foreman but worse because at least Foreman got his man. Julian Jackson is head and shoulders above him in power. If Jackson had Benn like that - Benn would have been toast. I won't be around for the week to get the flaming replies, but I speak the truth against popular notion. Round 1 - VERY sloppy & inaccurate punching (something very important when assessing a puncher).
hobgoblin is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #30
Ethan Trims
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesihavearm
Gerald was one of the hardest punchers ever at the weight.

He was RJJ's sparring partner, and after the incident, certain people close to RJJ have said that he's never really truly pressed for a knockout.

Oh yeah, Gerald beat RJJ in the amateurs - go look it up. He certainly would have been one of the best ever at the weight.

Oh and for people saying he deserves that for whatever he did to dogs can go to hell. Even if he did what the rumours say thats no grounds for him deserving brain damage, its not like there was people in those cages. ****ing hate all this animals equal humans shit. You dont say to someone who's eaten a Mcdonalds that they deserve brain damage cuz they've in theory participated in killing a cow ? Sort it out.
Well he tortured little animals, animals that would have been people's pets. He was a peice of shit plain and simple.

Your right, he didnt deserve just brain damage, he deserved worse.

I would never in my life torture an animal, I could never bring myself to it, but a piece of shit person like you or him, that would be easy and fun.
Ethan Trims is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum