boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #46
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Pictures of Gerald Mclellan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
For ****'s sake: he was a horrible person, ill-educated perhaps and ignorant. Did he deserve brain damage? Of course not.

A dog is an animal - they are lower in the food chain that humans. While mistreating them is undoubtedly cruel, it does not equate to brain-damage and potential living death sentence.

The Observer is not and never will be a reliable source. It is, more or less, tabloid journalism but in a grown-up format. the amount of retractions they have printed is incredible.

GMan deserved to be prosecuted and locked up. Pit bull fighting was, as far as I know, illegal at that time and still is.

I think there's some misconceptions about morality on in this discussion.

What he did was horrible and he deserves punished, but the suffering inflicted on his family as a result of it is surely not just: whatever way you look at it.
You are totally correct. It's just sad that G-man was such an asshole, so he doesn't have many supporters, and the only thing people remember is the dogfighting, the brain damage and his bad attitude.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #47
Napuis
Straight talkin' mo'fuhha
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

it's really sad seeing one of the greatest boxers of the 90's in those conditions. the beating nigel benn gave gerald was a painful one, permanent brain damage, no hearing, and blind.

these pictures are from 2003 with his sister who has been taking care of the g-man since the day he lost conscious in the 1995 fight against benn.
Literally brings a tear to the eye.
Napuis is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #48
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

No matter what we may think, he didn't deserve this fate.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #49
yesihavearm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Exactly. People making fun of him should maybe have the experience themselves, see how funny it is then.
yesihavearm is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #50
mightyd40
Spartan
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
None of the people talking **** about him tortured and mutilated dogs for personal joy. Seriously, he was a ****ed up person.

Yeah dogs are not humans, but they are pure-hearted animals that can feel pain and most of the other emotions humans feel, and can obviously feel physical pain and agony, and the son of a ***** tortured them while giving them no chance, and he did this REPEATEDLY, all the time to give his dogs a taste of blood.

Come the **** on, he got brain damage, you guys wouldn't give two ****s if he wasn't a boxer, you'd be happy he got what was coming to him. Fantastic boxer, **** human being.
my feelings exactly......**** him
mightyd40 is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #51
Fallow
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Lampley, you’re beginning to sound like one of those re****ed Klitschko fans who refuse to accept Lewis’ victory over Vitali because it came as a result of a cuts stoppage. Just like Vitali’s face was getting cut into ribbons as a result of Lewis’ punches, similarly, McClellan’s ‘condition’ was brought about by Benn’s punches. You say that British fight fans overly romanticise about the fight, well American fight fans are equally at fault in their repeated and worthless attempts to discredit Benn’s achievement.

Here is how history ultimately records the fight:

Benn KO10 McClellan

You’d do well to remember that. McClellan would not have beaten Nigel Benn on any night under any circumstances, either way you want to cut it, Nigel Benn was the superior fighter. If McClellan had a soft head then too bad, Benn didn’t – Point Benn.
Fallow is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #52
sandwichsurgeon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
You have to be ****ing kidding me. You've seen how little I support G-Man in this thread, but what you said was completely ridiculous.

McClellan was dominating the fight, he was not supposed to be able to fight prior to this due to head problems but Don King made him fight anyway, and it took it's toll late with all the rabbit punches from Benn and the **** referee not doing anything about it.

McClellan had a soft head? He was known for having one of the best chins around. As I said, he wasn't supposed to even fight that night due to experiencing symptoms like that prior to the fight. He was already ****ed up and he still managed to whoop Benn's ass until it took effect later in the fight, sped up by Benn's rabbit punches.

You have to be a complete idiot to say he never beats Benn. He was dominating. Nothing Benn did would've taken out G-Man had he been right, he went down from basically nothing, due to his head problems.

That fight was a damn shame as far as G-Man was concerned, but Benn got his ass whooped and won because his opponent was ****ed up due to a mental condition. He didn't do **** to win except speed up the process by rabbit punching him.
Benn won due to guts, heart and determination, if you aren't willing to give him any credit for that fight you are either another predjudiced American or just a plain idiot who can't recognise courage when he see's it. And if Mclellan was dominating so much and was so far ahead and able to win when he collapsed why was his mouthpiece coming out due to fatigue? the bout was fought equally which is why it is so legendary, this was no one sided affair.
sandwichsurgeon is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #53
Fallow
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

He did not in any way, shape or form, ‘dominate the fight’. If he had dominated the fight then the fight would not be considered the modern day seesaw classic that it is. I have seen that fight probably in excess of 50+ times, it is probably my favourite fight of all time. McClellan exploded out of the blocks just like we all knew he would, he dominated the early rounds but from 3 onwards Benn was the one doing all the hurting. McClellan rallied in one of the later rounds but even then, as Benn was put down once again, I still knew Benn would prevail as the damage he had inflicted on McClellan’s soft head (yes, his head was soft, other men have endured similar even worse beatings without sustaining brain injuries) started to take its toll. The rabbit punching theory is equally spurious, watch the fight again and you’ll notice that McClellan himself also did his fair share of rabbit punching to Benn. Benn was just too ****ing tough for the American.
Fallow is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #54
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fallow,

You seem to be taking this personally, and you shouldn't be. I give Benn all credit for fighting the guy in front of him that night, and it certainly was one of the great displays of courage you'll ever see. He deserved to win, based on that alone.

But to say McClellan had a "soft head" is fairly ignorant. It was a fluke injury that may or may not (if what Sweet Pea says is true) have had anything to do with Benn or that bout at all.

Despite being under extreme duress and struggling with his breathing (the mouthpiece dangling probably was due to the growing blood clot, or maybe it just didn't fit very well), he still nearly KOd Benn, and likely would have if he could have just finished the fight. Let's not overlook Gerald's courage in the fight, either.

McCellan was the superior fighter, and at that point in their careers by a substantial margin. Benn fought bravely and landed a bunch of good shots even in the 2nd round (before the real problems set it), but he was on a clock to getting KOd. Only thing was, Gerald was another clock of not being able to breathe.

Don't you understand now that the mere Benn KO10 McClellan doesn't exactly do this fight justice?
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #55
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

There also was a clash of heads in there, either very serious or nothing but Benn's braids, depending on whom you ask.

I also have a copy of the fight and watch it occasionally, which is wildly brutal and morbidly fascinating. The pre-fight buildup was extremely nasty, and Benn I think gets a lot of unfair criticism for his remarks immediately after the fight.

It still amazes me that G-Man's corner didn't stop the fight much earlier. Everyone sitting at ringside with the exception of the American announcers seemed to understand there was a problem, and his corner should have been able to figure it out more quickly. I've heard (Sweet Pea, maybe you know this) that he started complaining early and told them what was happening, but they still failed to act out of fear or for whatever reason.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #56
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What do you guys mean "IF what I say is true"? I thought what I was saying was pretty much excepted, which is why I'm laughing at Fallow for claiming what happened was Benn's doing. I thought this was common knowledge that he had problems prior to the fight and wasn't even supposed to be able to.
I'm not doubting you, I just hadn't heard that before. It's been speculated that he had the injury beforehand, I'm sure of that, but the only direct King story I can remember along those lines pertains to Ali/Frazier. But surely he's gone that route on many occasions.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #57
Napuis
Straight talkin' mo'fuhha
ESB Full Member

A bit of romanticising going on here. I remember both fighters rabbit punching badly, and McClellan even starting it. From then on Nigel Benn did it back and it turned into a dirty fight and a brutal war.

How does anyone know McClellan had '50%' brain damage prior to the fight...is there a source, a link, or just pure idle gossip?
Napuis is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #58
Fallow
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

You can break this fight down, attempt to shift the focus away from the result and instead concentrate on semantics but it won’t wash. If McClellan was the superior fighter then he would not have lost to Benn, it really is that simple.

The whole “McClellan was carrying a grave brain injury into the ring with him” is simply yet another lame excuse typically applied retrospectively and can be added to the **** pile along with Wlad’s infamous blood-sugar deficiency.

It wasn’t until round 7 that McClellan started hanging his gum shield out – FACT. He was good for the 6 rounds prior yet still found himself down on the scorecards at that point (albeit marginally). Were it not for the knock down in the 8th Benn would have been clearly ahead.

The ref gave Benn a long count? Are people still clinging onto that limp-****ed excuse? I thought that one was buried years ago when the genius exponents of this theory realised much to their dismay that when a fighter is knocked out of the ring he is entitled by rule to an extended count.

I thought McClellan showed tremendous heart in that fight, and I believe some of the things written about him and his alleged lack of courage was extremely harsh. However, Benn was the better fighter, he managed to negate much of McClellan’s typically straight line power via the use of simple bob and weave tactics. Benn’s boxing skills were highly underrated and he had built up a lead prior to McClellan suffering the effects of his brain injury.
Fallow is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #59
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

vCash: 224

i'm not disputing it but where did this 'king paid off the doctors' rumour come from?
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #60
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

vCash: 224

Quote:
I'll answer you since I've had enough of Fallow's ****. Benn was not ****ing winning. You have to be crazy or totally biased to think that.

I've heard it personally from different sources, but nothing concrete. As I said, I believe SI ran an article on the fight afterwards and how G-Man wasn't even supposed to be allowed to fight due to having problems beforehand, which makes me believe what they say and that King had something to do with the fight continuing, even against the doctor's orders.
cheers sweet pea. i remember seeing an interview some years back with a member of the g-mans team who talked about gerald suffering horrific headaches and migranes after the jackson fight and king apparently not giving two ****s because he didn't want to have a potential cash cow retire.
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum